Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

SCCA Road Racing - Forum Suggestions?

Howdy,

I've been a lurker on this forum over the past 8 years while I built my 1968 Camaro project. It's a great street car but now that it's finished I'm itching to start my next project. I would like to build a car to do SCCA autocross and road racing with. I want to build something that I won't be worried about hitting the wall with. I spent way too much time on the bodywork and paint of my 68 Camaro to race it like that anyway. Plus it was built as a cruiser more than a full-on racecar.

I feel like this forum has a wealth of knowledge but I wanted to make sure that my purposes weren't too off-topic before I started posting. I'll probably be building off of an early 2000's GM or Ford car which doesn't exactly fit the definition of "Pro-Touring" I read in the sticky.

Anybody know of a technical forum that's more suited towards SCCA autocross and road racing? Or is this probably the best place to start asking questions?

Thanks,
      Sal

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ is a good place to start, no?

Country Flag: United States
      If you go with 4th gen F body have a look here as well as GRM. http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/

Lots of info on Corner Carvers http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/

N.A.S.A. forums https://community.drivenasa.com/

Pick up an older Mazda Miata. These things handle like go-karts, they just run and run and they are cheap. Plus there is tons of aftermarket support for these cars.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Pick up an older Mazda Miata. These things handle like go-karts, they just run and run and they are cheap. Plus there is tons of aftermarket support for these cars.
      Yep...What he said. The miata chassis is great. They are easy on consumables such as tires and brake pads. They will help you become a better driver. There are countless organizations that have classes for Miata. You can run sprint races or get into the longer races like Chump/Champcar(that opens up sharing the car with your buddies) As if that isn't enough, Mazda has a phenomenal support program where they sell verified racers parts at a substantial discount. You can pick up a used 1.6l Spec Miata for not much more than a new cage would cost. i.e. https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/c...983579843.html

Disclaimer...In spite of my praise, I do not own a Miata. I have raced other Mazda's for 20 years though and have bent and broken enough cars to have MazdaMotorsports on my speed dial.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

I would throw in for an E46 BMW. They're among the more reliable of the breed and have their own spec racing class now. Parts are cheaper than pro-touring stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
      https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ is a good place to start, no?
      Came here to say this.

Also, if you want to compete, auto-x and road racing are going to be two different types of builds. If you want to participate, one car is just fine.

If you don't have any track experience I would suggest starting with a driving school. It's expensive, but I have never heard anyone say it wasn't worth the money after they did it.

If you do have track experience I would suggest buying a car that is already prepped to run in whatever class you're looking at. Probably time trial to start, or maybe some street tire class if you're doing auto-x. If you're going after NASA/SCCA road racing you'll need to do the HPDE ladder and get your competition license.

...or just go buy seat time with a 24 hours of LeMons team.

3x Miata.

Or if you want to dominate the field, I'll have one of my Radical SR8s for sale in a few months.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I race SCCA in Spec Racer Ford in the Hoosier Super Tour and Pro Series, also soon Formula Enterprise. There is no better bang for the buck high performance available than SRF3. I'm happy to help and discuss.

These series are designed for the best drivers to rise to the top. Not the guy with most money. Track time, minimal set up & different tracks all over the country.

Miatas are cheaper to get into but more expensive to be fast once you're competitive. An SRF3 should cost about 30-35k for a ready to race & win car.

Name:  Lcbx64qVQCyGpXKBGn+MKQ.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  272.8 KB
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog View Post
      I race SCCA in Spec Racer Ford in the Hoosier Super Tour and Pro Series, also soon Formula Enterprise. There is no better bang for the buck high performance available than SRF3. I'm happy to help and discuss.

These series are designed for the best drivers to rise to the top. Not the guy with most money. Track time, minimal set up & different tracks all over the country.

Miatas are cheaper to get into but more expensive to be fast once you're competitive. An SRF3 should cost about 30-35k for a ready to race & win car.
      Damn, those look fun! It's amazing what you can get bang for the buck when you get into ultra light weight cars and away from traditional cars. I have a buddy that races in vintage races and was previously running Mustangs and Cobras and spent a fortune. He now is driving a Lola (forgot the model and class) but it uses a 4 cylinder out of a pinto and cheap small slicks. It cost less to buy, costs way less to operate and turns faster lap times lol.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Damn, those look fun! It's amazing what you can get bang for the buck when you get into ultra light weight cars and away from traditional cars. I have a buddy that races in vintage races and was previously running Mustangs and Cobras and spent a fortune. He now is driving a Lola (forgot the model and class) but it uses a 4 cylinder out of a pinto and cheap small slicks. It cost less to buy, costs way less to operate and turns faster lap times lol.

I've been meaning to reach out and reply to your PM. Life has been haywire to say the least.

Yeah I'm actually disappointed with myself for waiting this long to do it. It's totally changed my idea on what to expect out of a PT Camaro and why I'm selling my 67 Camaro. Would love to show you what it's about. Usually there is a January race at Auto Club. I'll let you know when it is and if I'll be there.

Cheers,

Corey
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

oh yes, the SRFs are a great way to go. I was in the paddock next to a SRF3 guy last spring. He was having a great time, running fast times with a lot less money than I used to spend with my Corvette.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      oh yes, the SRFs are a great way to go. I was in the paddock next to a SRF3 guy last spring. He was having a great time, running fast times with a lot less money than I used to spend with my Corvette.

Do u see the FE on the bottom there? That’s why I bought those wheels from you.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
      Do u see the FE on the bottom there? That’s why I bought those wheels from you.
      Hey Corey! Sure do! I see you're a sick sort of fellow like me with more than one track car.
      John Parsons

I was able to find an awesome deal on a used NASCAR road racer only 20 miles from my house! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking to get. Its a roller so I've got some work ahead of me on the drivetrain. Looking at doing SCCA and NASA events. This is gonna be good!!

Name:  IMG_3245.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3231 (1).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  322.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Hey Corey! Sure do! I see you're a sick sort of fellow like me with more than one track car.

HAHA! Two SRF3's and One Formula Enterprise. Trying to cut back to one Camaro. HAHA!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ssanto View Post
      I was able to find an awesome deal on a used NASCAR road racer only 20 miles from my house! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking to get. Its a roller so I've got some work ahead of me on the drivetrain. Looking at doing SCCA and NASA events. This is gonna be good!!

Name:  IMG_3245.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3231 (1).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  322.3 KB
      Very cool. Are you in Texas? If so I have some recommendations for you.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com