Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wills and why they are so important

All,

Early last week my sister in law received a call from her brother. He wasn't feeling well and she said call 911. He didn't until the next day.

He arrived at the ER the next day and was sent to emergency care. Massive heart attack. He didn't make it. 59 years old.

So here's the lesson. YOU NEED A WILL with a named person to look after your stuff. He had no will and his 88 old mom is the next line to look after his estate. Of course we are doing that.

Without a will and a named person to look after the estate no one will talk to you. Banks, where he was employed, real estate companies. 401K folks. DMV to transfer car titles. Until you have a death certificate and additional documentation no one will talk to you.

It's been a bad 10 days.

Country Flag: United States
      Sorry for your loss.
      I agree. I’ve had a trust since we had kids in our 20’s. If/when something happens to my wife and/or me, everything is spelled out. Who’s does what. Who gets what.
      And you need to keep it updated as tax laws change and your kids get married and have kids, etc.
      I have 4 brothers and 3 sisters and when my parents passed it was all spelled out and went very smooth. No infighting because we were all involved. We closed the estate with the IRS in under a year which if you know is pretty much record time

Thanks for the kind words.

One other thing. Make sure someone knows your computer pass words. My brother in law was a computer guy so everything was on his computers. Of course we don't have the pass words.

Country Flag: United States
      First time I started having a will made I owned businesses, home, and was married with step kids. Crashed bad on my BMX bike at a big race, badly ruptured my spleen but didn't go to hospital for two days even though pain was incredibly bad because no insurance. Finally went to ER and eventually after getting stabilized they did exploratory surgery and saved my life. By the time I caught up with things after getting out of hospital I'd forgotten all about the will so the lawyer made out well.

Second time I started the process I owned a business,couple homes, and was divorced, step kids were grown. I got Lyme disease really, really, bad to the point of encephalitis, brain fog, the whole miserable deal and was sick for years. Closed business, sold off a lot of my cars and other possessions. Luckily I lived but never finished up the will thing when I finally got better slowly.

Third time I started the process I'd moved to FL and simplified a lot with only one house, no business, and only 8-9 vehicles. everything was set with a will drawn up and I was to meet with an aunt & uncle vacationing in FL who would be my witnesses for signing with a notary. The day before we were to meet I had a heart attack, stent surgery, and luckily lived. After recovery I was busy trying to catch up with everything and never got the will finished.

Fourth time I got a will drawn up I had house, new small business, and less cars plus I'd been selling down on "stuff" for years. Decided to have a very simple will drawn up and give everything to one person who I gave suggestions about dispersal of assets but told "you can just keep everything if you want I really don't care". Got a couple friends to go with as witnesses and actually got it notarized so now it's in effect!

Almost killed myself last week by inadvertently poisoning myself. Luckily 911 call was made within minutes of me passing out and hitting the floor, ambulance people scooped me up off the floor, arrived at ER with heart rate of 35 BPM, body temp 95 F, and I was in real bad shape. Then I spent most of a week in the hospital. Still with no health insurance, at the rate I'm going, there won't be anything left to inherit anyway. ahahahaha But it'll be easy for the relatives!

And ya, ya need a will.

My best will story is a buddy who was friends with an old man who he found out during conversation that he didn't have a will. The old man had been a teacher, never married, lived alone in a really small crappy apartment, like old northern city up/down duplex 3 maybe 4 rooms. My buddy rented the other apartment in the building which the old man owned. My bud liked the old man and as he got too old to drive he chauffeured him to grocery store and other basic things but the old guy never wanted to do anything really so food, DR. visits, and that's about it. He told the old guy he should have a will just to make it easier for family when eventually he died. Old guy agreed and my buddy took the old guy to lawyer and waited outside when they discussed details and what not. When the old man died he left my buddy enough to live very well and not work for the rest of his life, old guy had millions & millions. Bud's always been a car guy and is a member here.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com