Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

American Powertain T56 Magnum kit - going road racing

Hello everyone. I've changed direction on my 69 Firebird and instead of doing a hybrid for road course/drag strip, I'm going all road course. Thus a 6-spd manual is in my future instead of a 4L80E with a trans-brake. My local track is Willow Springs, CA which has a small road course and also a large one. Button Willow is also an option if I join CalClub (which I might). Although I'm by far more familiar with Willow Springs from years of motorcycle racing there. Keep in mind this is also a street legal car I will drive around town for fun and to cruise ins, cars & coffee, etc. all over the state.

I'm not sure all the companies that offer these kits but I came across American Powertrain and reached out to them for a quote. I'm going from the TH400 automatic to a manual. They say the kit puts the shifter in the stock location and no modification what-so-ever are needed to the trans tunnel, console, or chassis. Music to my ears! I gave them info on my car and said I have 650HP (which is in the ballpark by 10HP + or -).

They sent me a quote but I'm not sure what I'm looking at so I'm looking for input/comments. 2 things I am personally VERY picky about tho is shifter and cluth feel. I've owned and driven more stick shift cars than one could count, and one of my favorties is the Gen V Viper 6-spd. I want a shifter that is easy to move from gear to gear, but with a VERY notchy positive feel when it goes into gear. I want it to feel mechanical AF and to handle being banged into gear all the time. I want my clutch to be light to medium with a really smooth friction zone, no chattering at all. I'm turning 40 and my knees aren't what they used to be, especially in traffic driving around town. A MAJOR plus would be able to powershift up and only need the clutch to leave in 1st and to downshift.

All of that said, here is what they quoted me: (I am not including prices on purpose out of respect for the company)

11009 New Tremec T56 Magnum for GM, 2.66 1sr, .80 5th, .62 6th gear, rated for700 lb/ft Fluid capacity approx. 4 quarts

ProFit MAGNUM Installation Kit for 1967-69 Gen 1 F-body (Camaro/Firebird). Your kit includes:
      AP Revolution Shifter Mechanism - Original 4-speed shift position

Seamless DOM Driveshaft Assembly - Race Balanced, Solid U-Joints
      ** Your custom driveshaft is not included in the initial order. To receive
      yourdriveshaft complete and return the driveshaft order form. **
      Driveshaft Slip Yoke
      Cryogenically hardened
      steelX-Factor Cross Member Modular Aluminum, bolt-in
      Transmission Mount - Polyurethane

Pilot Bearing Stainless rollers, grease pre-
      pak
      Speedometer Conversion -Electronic

Shifter Knob - White AP 6-Speed
      Round Stock Chrome Shifter Handle
      Console Shift Pattern Plate

Modular Reverse Lock-out Harness

Modular Reverse Light Harness
      Hardware, Instructions, Warranty and Extended Hours Customer First Technical Support

QT SFI Bellhousing for Buick/Olds/Pontiac to LS T56/GM Magnum - Includes: Full Motor Plate & hardware

SCIENCE FRICTION Billet Steel 166t, 1964-76 Pontiac 326-455, Hydraulic AppsOnly
      2.750" Register Bore (check 1977/78 cranks when ordering)

ARP Flywheel Bolts
      ,Black Oxide, Pontiac, Set of 6

SCIENCE FRICTION 1126 Hi-Performance STAGE2 MEAN STREET DUOCLUTCH KIT, INCLUDES:
      HIGH CLAMP LOAD LOW FLEX FORMED PRESSURE PLATE
      26-SPLINE FERAMIC/KEVLAR WEAVE REBOUND HUB DISC
      ALIGNMENT TOOL
      650FT-LB RATED

ARP-GM/MOPAR Pressure Plate Bolts. Set of 6 Race Grade 8

GM
      HYDRAMAX Hydraulic Clutch Actuator System for MAGNUM/LST56/Viper T56. Kit Includes:
      Hydramax Concentric Slave - Pre-bled,
      double width seals
      Steel Braided Lines - Teflon Lined Stainless Steel

3/4" Bore Master Cylinder - Black Powder Coated

Hydramax Firewall Mount - Patented Adjustable Mount w/Firewall Stiffener
      Bearing Retainer -Billet Aluminum, Black Oxide Finish
      Reservoir Kit - Remote or local mount, plastic (billet upgrade available)

Pedal Rod and Hardware Adjustable Length

Fittings, hardware and complete instructions
      NOTE: Some applications may require 1-2 bearing retainer spacers CAGM-50003S not included

'69 Camaro/Firebird, Brake & Clutch Pedal Assembly
      Includes: Bushings and Pads

Any thoughts/suggestions on what they are offering me? I'm hoping to learn from others who have done this swap to ensure I'm going to be really happy with the results.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

All those parts are pretty typical of a T56 conversion with hydraulic actuation.

As far as the road racing goes, not really sure if the clutch chosen is the best option. That clutch feel is fine, but a twin disc (McLeod RST for instance) will hold up better. Not sure of your engine's torque rating but I always feel more comfortable going 100+ "capacity" over what the engine actually has, especially in a racing application.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

It was a little off-putting when the AP salesperson did not mention or discuss any possible upgrades or inquire more as into my intended uses for the car. That's what gave me the feeling I was just getting a basic boxed kit that may not give me the performance I'm looking for.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com