Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Kevin's car was mentioned in a recent article in Hot Rod magazine. The article was talking about SpeedKore's builds

--
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I know this thread is a bit dated but it's the first time I read it was today.
      No opinion on who might be at at fault but here's my .02.

If you sell a hot rod that you have modified it make sure you have the buyer sign a document stating the car/truck has been modified and they have inspected it understanding that and release you (the seller) from any liability. Documents available on-line or its a simple matter to have a lawyer draft a document for your transaction.

Next if you a doing work on cars as a side job be really careful. If you charge someone or maybe free to work on their car and they have an accident they might come back and sue you for everything you own. Professional shops have liability insurance to cover them and they are most likely a LLC so the shop owner can't be sued personally.

And my latest project a 68 C10 I did install 3 point seat belts. Also the brakes all around are C6 front/C5 rear are 100% better than the stock 68 drum brakes. Upgraded suspension all around so it handles 100% better than stock. But the LS motor makes 3 times the I-6 horse power.

but you didn't add air bags - oh the horror!

Ya - this whole thing is over the top dumb. The car is a 1970 vehicle - you can register and drive a 1970 car on the road in all states that I am aware of with no special requirements for safety - whatever the car had in 1970 is all you need to have. Personally, I do like the 3 point belts and run them in my 71 Camaro even though it did not come with them. But honestly - people getting into a 50 year old car with a powerful engine should understand there is some risk inherent in that event and don't blame anybody but yourself if something should go wrong.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I don't know what really came out from this...seeing all the fake news these days...Its said that Hart and somebody else was sitting in the back, where there is no back seat! It had a back-seat delete! Nobody was wearing seat-belts and the cause of the accident was "wreck-less driving"...no judge should entertain a lawsuit over their stupidity. A 70s car doesn't have airbags and NO law then or today requires certain safety features depending on HP. A 70 Cuda could easily be modified to have a beast of an era-correct engine in the 70s just as easily as today. Should Speedkore have also put a governor on the throttle too so you can't accelerate dangerously or a RPM limit to control speed...The only case I would support is IF the builder removed safety features.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Yeah no air bags on the C10. I don't recall them being a option in 1968. The odd thing is that the three point bolt threaded hole was "stock" in the B pillar. Maybe forwarded thinking GM engineers?
      Just saying again make sure who ever you sell your hot rod to signs some thing that releases you from claims.

If my memory serves me correctly...The hellcat engine was removed from a donor car. Everything needed to install the engine package was retained. The claim of defeating or deleting the safety equipment was the modification to the codes in the ECM to get the engine to run. That's where the airbag statement is coming from. Now, if this was a crate engine I don't think this would be an issue. The bigger question is will the "trickle" down effect happen where they go after every aftermarket company that had parts on the car. Don't laugh, this is how these lawsuits go. The poor soul at the end is the one who gets put out of business for another person's stupid act. Let's hope the judge squashes this one.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Now I'm no lawyer, but...

as far as I know, the only laws regarding updating an old car with modern gear is the emissions equipment must be updated to the same year model as the donor car. Not only is there no requirement to update safety gear, there's no way to actually update it. The safety equipment is specific to the car it came in and can't readily be moved to just any car. Putting airbags from the donor car model into the receiving car can actually be more deadly than not having it. About the only safety gear that can be transplanted would be the anti-lock brakes, provided the donor and the receiver are about the same weight.

But, there's no safety gear made that can fix lack of driver skill. The driver of the car was responsible for the accident, and is the only one that should be sued here. Even the owner of the car shouldn't be sued here, because the owner wasn't driving.

Country Flag: Canada
      I almost want to say mods please ban previous post for the reason of spam ...lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com