Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Stainless Brake Lines ..... Leaking

Hi everyone , I just finished up my brake lines and spent hours ! I can’t seem to get these right !

Half of them are seeping brake fluid. I remade line after line trying to perfect my flares.

I used Baer Remaster and Baer 6P Kit and made all custom stainless hardlines.

I used 3/16” double annealed tubing and Eastwood professional brake flare tool.

https://www.eastwood.com/professiona...ring-tool.html

And I did a 45 degree double flare.

Has anyone else had trouble like this ? Am I doing something wrong ??

Did I do the right flare ??

Here’s some pics of the car for reference.

Name:  IMG_3052.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  102.5 KB

Country Flag: United States
      I did not make my own, but I did purchase SS lines from Classic Tube for my car and I remember having to really wrench on the fittings to snug them up. I had seepage at a few connections and just had to put some more oomph on it to get them to seal. Most likely because the SS is a much harder material. Other than that no problems. When I install them now, I snug them up and break them loose a few times in order for them to seat on the flare.

Good luck.

Ah good idea ! I wrenched on them pretty hard but like the idea of backing them off and re tighten a couple times to get them to seat.

Have to heard about lapping them with a compound to make a perfect seal?

I always use a spare fitting and some lube. Tighten them back and forth a few times with the spare fitting before installing them on the car

SS plumbing is hard to get leak-free. SS is really a poor material for brake lines... coated steel or Copper-Nickel is a better choice.

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I had one i couldn’t get to stop leaking that I was able to fix with a copper conical seal.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by AAQUINO11 View Post
      Ah good idea ! I wrenched on them pretty hard but like the idea of backing them off and re tighten a couple times to get them to seat.

Have to heard about lapping them with a compound to make a perfect seal?
      Yeah I remember really cranking on them to the point I'm thinking I'm going to strip this thing.

When I do new lines for the rear I'm building, I'm going to try the NiCopp lines that John has suggested. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
      I had one i couldn’t get to stop leaking that I was able to fix with a copper conical seal.
      Right, that's a good point. I've been able to repair older race car plumbing with AN aluminum conical seals. That's definitely worth a try if replacing the hard line isn't in the cards right now.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I made all new brake lines out of 3/16" SS for my build and bought/used the same Eastwood flaring tool. Not sure if it makes a lot of difference but here's the process I used and didn't have a single leak in the end...1. Used a very small amount of anti-seize to lubricate the line for flaring. 2. Made the flare and visually checked it for straightness and burs. 3. Used red Scotch-bright pad to "work" the flare and remove any seams or roughness from the inside of the flare as well as the outer lip around the flare. 4. Wiped off any excess anti-seize and blew out the line with compressed air. 5. Polished the line and installed it. I did this with every single flare I made and didn't have any trouble. One thing to check is that you're putting enough "ass" behind it when you were creating the flare...SS is tough as nails and it's easy to underestimate what it takes to bend it. You have to be very intentional! Hope that helps.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Stainless lines really only need a single flare. You risk cracking the line with a double flare. Also use lube on the tool threads to help with less friction and on the fitting its self to help the tool work better.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Stainless likes to gnall, any type of antiseize will greatly increase your luck in preventing a leak
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com