Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Connecting to e67 Ecu for ac fan control on a LS Swap

I have been reading the various threads here for quite some time and the information from all you folks has been immensely helpful. I have installed a LS3 crate engine with a Vintage Air and a T56 Magnum transmission in a 67 Firebird.The engine controller is an E67 ECM. I have found a lot of information on other ECM’s but not much on the crate motor ECM.

AC and Fan strategy -
      From what I understand I cannot use the E67 ECM to control the AC compressor and fans together because I do not have any data link from a Body Control Module so I need another strategy. So I am planning to use the VA trinary switch to turn the fans on when the AC is turned on. However, I do not want the fans running full blast all the time. Similar to several other threads my thought is to do a series/parallel fan setup. The following diagram shows my idea. The low speed and high speed fan connection to the ECM should handle all the engine cooling requirements with the low speed also handling the AC requirements triggered thru the trinary switch.

Is this possible with an E67 ECM? The ‘as received’ wiring has only one fan connection in the relay/fuse panel. However the low speed fan (C3 pin 49) and the high speed fan (C1 pin 54) are connected to a single fuse. I am assuming I can separate these for my series/parallel fan setup?

To protect the compressor I am thinking I can put in a NC rpm window switch to shut the compressor off at a set rpm – say 4000rpm. Several friends do not have rpm protection in their LS installations and have exploded a couple of compressors, literally.

I am still unclear about a few things.

1. Is it possible to get idle bump when the AC compressor turns on? Or do I just increase idle speed to compensate?
      2. Is there a signal to the ECM maybe from the electronic throttle pedal that I can use to disable the AC compressor on WOT?

Reverse Lock Out –
      My second challenge is with the reverse lock out solenoid actuation in the T56. Can I enable C3 pin 8 in the ECM and connect it directly to the solenoid on the transmission? Or should I go thru a relay?

My challenge has been that there was no wiring diagram with the instructions that came with the electrical kit and the pin out descriptions are unclear. For example non of the pins are identified for the fan control. I have been extrapolating the pin outs and functions from a combination of Corvette and Cadillac ECM information.

Appreciate any thoughts and comments.
      Name:  IMG_2727.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  125.3 KBName:  IMG_2786.JPG
Views: 1916
Size:  564.3 KBName:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  153.3 KBName:  IMG_2527.JPG
Views: 1992
Size:  687.1 KB

Where in Texas are you located. I could help you.

You can wire in the lock out using your computer. Pretty easy to do. There’s a thread on here

AC wise keep it simple. You will use a binary switch. Also buy pcm of nc AC bump and dual fan kit if you are using the gmpp controller. Again very easy to install.

If you are coming to goodguys in two weeks come find me. 67 CAMARO prowler orange car on the autocross track. My name is randy

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Randy for your reply. I will Be out at goodguys and I will look you up, I will not have the car with me. Maybe you have some part numbers ? I really don’t like the fans running at 100%

Thanks for the help Don, I’ll look them up ..

Threads merged. One is enough...
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Where is the car at ?

Burleson tx

I have a brand new pcmsofnc fan kit and AC bump that I am not going to use. Let me know if you might be interested.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I have a brand new pcmsofnc fan kit and AC bump that I am not going to use. Let me know if you might be interested.
      What would you want for it ? And will
      It control the fan speeds with ac pressures ?

I did some similar work a few years ago on my car. I have an E67 ECU. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...fan-controller
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

FYI, in the above-identified post, John Parsons ran into some issues with his crate motor and ECU. John said that GM tech support told him that, "the fan pwm circuit is disabled in the GMPP crate motor ECMs in an effort to simplify tech support and reduce warranty claims."
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      FYI, in the above-identified post, John Parsons ran into some issues with his crate motor and ECU. John said that GM tech support told him that, "the fan pwm circuit is disabled in the GMPP crate motor ECMs in an effort to simplify tech support and reduce warranty claims."
      I have hp tuners can turn on any setting in the Ecm .. Man someone needs to come up with a kit for this they would make some money on this product.. Im really surprise that the after market ac companies use the outdated technology today.. thanks for the help..

Quote Originally Posted by Arrius One
      I have hp tuners can turn on any setting in the Ecm
      So do I. It doesn't matter. The newer GMPP crate motor E67s don't support pwm control of the fans - they only support discrete mode. I had to pick up a salvage yard E67 to enable PWM support.
      John Parsons

Go with the PCM of NC bump kit and program the ECM, you Won't be sorry. I'm running the same ECM with dual fans and PCM of NC's stuff and it works perfectly.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      So do I. It doesn't matter. The newer GMPP crate motor E67s don't support pwm control of the fans - they only support discrete mode. I had to pick up a salvage yard E67 to enable PWM support.
      By chance would you have some part numbers of what I’ll need ? Thanks for your help on this

Connecting to e67 Ecu for ac fan control on a LS Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Go with the PCM of NC bump kit and program the ECM, you Won't be sorry. I'm running the same ECM with dual fans and PCM of NC's stuff and it works perfectly.
      What E67 ECM do you have ? Gmpp or E67 out of a car somewhere ?

Quote Originally Posted by arriusone View Post
      What E67 ECM do you have ? Gmpp or E67 out of a car somewhere ?
      I'm running the GMPP ECM and wiring harness with my LS3/525 crate motor. The PCM of NC setup turns my fans on at 50% or 100% depending on temp and AC signal. It's a slick setup.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Because you don’t need the fans on just because the AC is on. Fans only need to be on regulate engine temp and AC pressures. A trinary switch accomplishes this and there’s no need for the ECM to play a role.

Quote Originally Posted by arriusone View Post
      I have hp tuners can turn on any setting in the Ecm .. Man someone needs to come up with a kit for this they would make some money on this product.. Im really surprise that the after market ac companies use the outdated technology today.. thanks for the help..
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I used an E67 for 2010 Malibu V6, I think. I had a fellow in Texas convert it to 2012 ZR1 (since my engine was an LS9) operating system. I'll bet PCM of NC can do something similar.
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com