Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1966 Lemans project - The Felon

So I'll get the name out of the way. Bought this off of a guy who was kind of weird and we found out he had done some time for possession of stolen goods. So, of course, my friends teased me about it being stolen (it's not) and named it "The Felon". So there that is.

Anyway, it's been sitting at my shop for almost a year now, just haven't gotten around to it. Been trying to finish my fully built 98 Trans Am and also some other projects less exciting.

My kids decided that we start working on it a bit, just get it running and driving. Well, we've finally started on it and are making slow but steady progress. We installed a new fuel tank and fuel pump along with new rubber lines and it starts and runs great. Of course, it is puking gas out of the 2bbl carb. We've raided the Pontiac parts store in our shop attic and came out with an old Edelbrock P4B intake and a 600cfm Edelbrock 4bbl carb. Should be plenty for the little 326. The automatic trans seems to move it ok. Yesterday we installed a new brake master, but it is 4 wheel drums and they don't seem to be too functional. We'll see where it goes. We have big plans for it, but I'm not going to spend money on things like rebuilding the drum brakes when we can just upgrade to something better.

Immediate plans are running and driving, some of the following plans may be involved in that.

Engine - 462 Pontiac engine, aluminum heads, some other good stuff.
      Transmission - Super T-10 4-spd swap
      Brakes - LS1 F-body brakes for now (I have a bunch of parts lying around)
      Body, stock, interior, stock
      Rearend - stock for now, probably regear and TracLok.
      Suspension - full tubular suspension set up to handle, not sure on brand yet.
      Big wheels and tires set to sticky

Initial plans for now at least. More than likely I'll do the LS brake conversion and then go from there.

Name:  20181231_085124.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  433.9 KB

Great car! I love the 66's and would like to get one some day so I will subscribe and watch your progress.

So I got all the brakes bled last night. The pass front is trash I think, couldn't really get it to bleed. I have good pedal pressure so at least I can drive it around the yard. Looks like that LS brake swap will happen sooner than later.

I'm going to need someone to talk me out of going ahead and doing my 4-spd conversion. I have everything but the pedals and linkages, but I can get all the parts I need for $300 shipped.

I also hate that I don't work in manufacturing anymore and work in a consulting engineering firm because I no longer have access to a machine shop. Sure would be nice to not have to pay someone to turn down my front hubs for LS brakes. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman98 View Post
      I'm going to need someone to talk me out of going ahead and doing my 4-spd conversion. I have everything but the pedals and linkages, but I can get all the parts I need for $300 shipped.

I also hate that I don't work in manufacturing anymore and work in a consulting engineering firm because I no longer have access to a machine shop. Sure would be nice to not have to pay someone to turn down my front hubs for LS brakes. :(
      I have the hubs (and brackets) that you need. My son and I did what you talked about (2000 camaro brakes front and S-10 blazer disk brakes rear) on our 1966 GTO. I also used the 2000 camaro booster and master and an early 2000s reservoir from a smaller chevrolet car (so the hood would clear). Ours worked great for almost 60,000 miles when we upgraded to an AFX type front setup that uses early 2000s Corvette front spindles, rotors, and we used 2006 GTO front calipers. I would be willing to sell the hubs and brackets cheap-I have it all, but shipping would probably be more than you would like to pay. Good luck with your project - and if you can find a LS type 5.3 truckmotor and tranny I cant recommend it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricott View Post
      I have the hubs (and brackets) that you need. My son and I did what you talked about (2000 camaro brakes front and S-10 blazer disk brakes rear) on our 1966 GTO. I also used the 2000 camaro booster and master and an early 2000s reservoir from a smaller chevrolet car (so the hood would clear). Ours worked great for almost 60,000 miles when we upgraded to an AFX type front setup that uses early 2000s Corvette front spindles, rotors, and we used 2006 GTO front calipers. I would be willing to sell the hubs and brackets cheap-I have it all, but shipping would probably be more than you would like to pay. Good luck with your project - and if you can find a LS type 5.3 truckmotor and tranny I cant recommend it enough.
      I'll send you a PM! Probably still cheaper than buying anything online. I can make the stuff myself, but I also coach two travel baseball teams so if I can buy stuff for a good price to save time, I'm all over that.

I also plan to keep my old Pontiacs Poncho powered. Nothing against LS motors, I have a nasty 6.0L in my 98 TA, I just dig my old Poncho engines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman98 View Post
      I would never ever be an individual to try to talk anyone out of doing a 4 speed conversion..... as a matter of fact I say... YEA DO IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Addict View Post
      I would never ever be an individual to try to talk anyone out of doing a 4 speed conversion..... as a matter of fact I say... YEA DO IT!!!!
      I despise automatics with a passion. All my old stuff I convert to manual, I stockpile ST-10 4-spds just for that reason. LOL

So I test fit the wheels off of my 98 Trans Am on the car. They are 18x9.5 with 35mm offset and 275/35/18 MT Street Comps. The back fit with about a half inch clearance and the fronts did too with a 1/2" spacer. I have plenty of space to run a 10.5" wide wheel and hopefully a 315.
      Name:  20190920_163452.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  510.9 KBName:  20190920_163354.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  122.0 KBName:  20190920_163331.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  428.2 KBName:  20190920_163326.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  492.5 KBName:  20190920_161954.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  333.6 KB

For reference, here's my Trans Am
      Name:  2502034.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  237.5 KB

No real updates, middle of travel baseball season and coaching two teams keeps me pretty busy. I hope to get the new intake and carb installed maybe tonight after practice. I was hoping to get my shop truck project done, but it is having issues and taking time away from the Lemans. I, in true car guy fashion, took my perfectly fine 1988 GMC C1500 that needed just a head gasket and swapped in a Vortec crate motor, lowered it 3/5, new brakes, headers, LS F-body fans, etc. Now it appears as if I have a fueling problem. Yay.

I’m not going to try to talk you out of the four speed, rather I’d come nearer trying to talk you into a six speed. I swapped out my four speed for a six speed and it was one ( of many) swaps I did that I should’ve done sooner.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Anything new on this beast?

Yea- I would like to see some updates on it. I’m currently building a 66 GTO but it’s just going to be a stock Tri Power car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com