Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Very nice. That's awesome too that the dealership is letting you work on it there!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Great progress
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
      Great progress
      Thank you.

Saturday I got a lot done. First the firewall is now done until I decide what I want to do with the passenger tulip by putting the supercharger reservoir there and get the engine out to finish grinding welds. So I'm checking it off my list for now.

Then I moved onto the vacuum pump. I welded up the bracket and finished it out and got it mounted.

With that out of the way I got the front end rough fit so that I could get the core support the correct height and squared to the body then make the mounts. I got them cut out and welded on and with that out of the way I'll finish them once I finish getting the radiator mounted so I can take it off the car. I forgot to get a picture, you can see it in the under hood shot with the radiator though.

For the radiator I'm still planning on the extractor hood. Even with that huge fan I had room to lay down and still be clear. I'll also finish those mounts when they are off the car and build a gusset to support the radiator. Ordered some bushings for the upper mounts, so I'm hoping to have them by the weekend to finish the radiator mounts. If they don't show up I'll skip to getting the dash mounts finished up.

Instagram: CamaroAJ

Looking good !

David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
      Looking good !
      Thank you.

Saturday it doesn't look like I got much done mainly because I had the dash in and out so many times and lots of trimming and hammer and dolley work. That said I actually got a lot done on the dash. The stock upper dash metal was cut down to give a lip to tuck the C6 dash under for a clean transition to the windshield and the C6 dash was trimmed down to the body curve. I built a new center mount and put some dimples in it to stiffen it up and shed some weight. I also plan on mounting my HVAC from the center mount. I had the HVAC module in for some measuring so once I build the box mount I'll be able to get it in the car as well.

Mount wise I still have to finish the passenger mount. I built 5 lower tabs that the slips between the upper body and the tabs to hold everything in place and not move around. I still need to finish both ends of the stock upper and get the VIN tag area squared away. Once wrapped in leather and painted I think it will all look really clean like it cam from the factory that way.

any more info on the extractor cowl hood idea? its intriguing, to say the least!
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      any more info on the extractor cowl hood idea? its intriguing, to say the least!
      I'm not that far yet. After I get the core support and frame side done and find my hood hinges then I might start on it. I still have some metal work to do on other parts of the car though so it might be a while before I get to it.

Just found this and read through the progress. VERY cool project. Let me know if you don't have someone to 3Dscan and CAD your next big idea. -Scott

I was able to get back to work on the car Saturday after a few weekend off between work and family being in town. I picked up a LS9 supercharger because it fits my car better in terms of the accessory drive. It however will need a 1/2" adapter plate to fit the ZL1 lid to it so I had to check fitment. Clears the hood just fine, but its a 1/4" away from the passenger side firewall. I think I'll be ok as I'm running poly mounts.

With that done I finished up the dash. First I finished up the passenger mount and then the upper dash metal fit and welded.

After all of that I got the front end square, measured where to put the core support mounts and got the frame cut, rewelded, random holes fillled and then the front end all back on to double check with the radiator back in to make sure I'll still clear.

I was out of time and needed to clean up, but I have a Chevy Trax coolant reservoir that I wondered how it would fit into the build. It actually looks like that will be a good area for it so I might order a new one up. It would mount nicely to the inner fenders that I still have to build.

During the week I've been tinkering with how to mount the fan using the stock radiator mounts. I need a different piece of aluminum for the other side, but I think this will work out nicely.

Saturday I got back to working on the frame horns. I capped them both off and welded in a bushing to keep from crushing the rail when the core support is bolted on. They finished out nice and I left myself plenty of frame rail so I'm able to bolt on a tow hook, which I'm going to start pondering how I want it to work.

After getting the rails finished up I finished the dash to A pillar ends. The more I think about them the less happy I become and I think I'm going to redo them so the glass fits better in those areas. Anyways, on to the pics.

Saturday I decided to get started on the roof. This mod has been on my build plan for a long time to set it apart even more. The skin was from a '16+ Camaro and it lines up almost perfectly with the 50 year old body. I got it finial measured and all lined up and started cutting out the front and rear roof sections and went at tacking it in. Lots of cutting, tack welds, hammer and dolly work to get it to this point. I'm not even half way done with the welding and grinding. Once I get that finished up I have a few hours of planishing to do. It's a huge pain in the butt just like I though it was going to be, but I'm really happy with how it looks on the car.

Nice job! That's a novel idea.

More roof work on the Camaro Saturday. More welding, grinding, and hammer/dolly work. I'm almost done though, need to weld up the front after reshaping the corners.

During the week I've been working on the fan mount and shroud here and there after work. I'm closer to tacking it up and getting it ready to weld.
      I also got the fan its self mostly trimmed down and cleaned up.

I started to work on the quarter vent mounts as well. I need to get them tuned up and the box made for the under side before I fit them to the car.

The goal for next Saturday is to finish up the roof and move to finishing up the rear frame rails so I can get them all coated in epoxy and get the floors finial welded in. If I have time I want to try and start on the battery mount as well.

You’re a machine! Nice work.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
      You’re a machine! Nice work.
      Thank you.

Saturday I decided to take a break from the roof. Its making me feel like I'm not getting much done on the car so I needed a change of pace to get some motivation back. Thats why I didn't bother with a update last week, because it was just the same welding, grinding, hammer/dolly work. Without a real game plan for the day (which isn't how I normally do things) I decided to start with getting the door latches done. Previously I had some late model GM latches that I was using. I have since changed my build plan and now use electric buttons to open the door and the C6 Corvette latches are the best solution for this in terms of serviceability and a proven design.

I started with a rough paper tracing and laid it over the striker slot and traced it to the metal. After modifying the cutout, drilling new mounting holes, and filling the old holes I made a better templet to transfer to the passenger side. That to was modified, new holes, and welded up the old holes.

I found that I had the wrong strikers, so I had to move onto something else. The C6 latches have emergency release levers in the even of power or latch failure. I mounted them the same way they are mounted in the C6.

I've been wanting to get my electronics laid out so I could start to plan my wiring. I decided the left rear wheel well was the best place to mount my rear Infinity Box power cell. Lots of room thats not being used for anything else. I built the mount and welded it in.

With all of that done I figured I start to layout the transmission cooler. Since I'm running the TR6070 7 speed it has a built in cooler pump. I wanted to keep the cooler in the rear. I think it will work perfectly in this location and blend well into my defuser. I just need to build some real mounts for it now.

The level of integration of factory parts on this build is incredible

Question though... The corvette has the "claw" side of the latch in the car, and the pin in the door. (opposite from most cars) Since youre putting the claw in the door, will you be running the emergency release cables into the door?
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      The level of integration of factory parts on this build is incredible

Question though... The corvette has the "claw" side of the latch in the car, and the pin in the door. (opposite from most cars) Since youre putting the claw in the door, will you be running the emergency release cables into the door?
      Yes, the levers are pictured above. I need to make longer cables for both doors though. I looked at putting the latch in the body side, but that would be a ton of work for no real reason.

I'm enjoying seeing your progress! I wish that I could say the same for mine....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com