Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      WOW!!! One of the nicer builds on this site in a LONG time! Great fab skills. A LOT of attention to detail. Looking forward to future updates.
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Love this car. What do you plan to do with it once you are done?
      beat on it as much as possible lol

Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      WOW!!! One of the nicer builds on this site in a LONG time! Great fab skills. A LOT of attention to detail. Looking forward to future updates.
      thank you. Should have another update Monday.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Saturday I got back on the driver quarter and outer tub. To get the rear part done first I needed to address the quarter that didn't line up right because of the wide body mod. I had to pie cut the quarter to fix the gap.

With the out of the way I was able to finish up the outer tub.

Since thats the main part I had planned for the day I was able to also check fitment of the supercharger tank that I've been tinkering with. The fitment was good so I'll get the back welded up and get the fittings welded in and check one more item off the list.

I also picked up a 5th gen hood vent to see how it will fit. I like the more forward option and it will clean the supercharger this way as well.

The rest of the afternoon I played with ideas for exhaust layout. I decided to run a Borla muffler even though its only 2.5" and I'm running 3" all the way back. The plan is for it to be quiet when normal driving and not drive me nuts with drone. Its an X style muffler and I'll run the exhaust in from each end and out the opposite side in a cross flow setup. I'm not to worried about it messing with the flow of thing as I'll also have vacuum actuated bypass valves. Since I went with this setup and with the trans cooler in the back it made me have to change from exhaust center under the tail lights to a center exhaust. It will still blend very well into the rear defuser.

Saturday I decided it was time to tackle the front fenders to get started on making them wider to clear the wheels. In order for that to happen I needed to get the lower fenders mounted. I decided to extent the outer rocker and start the flair with that. I bought a repop outer rocker to save myself some time making the bends hoping it would line up easier. To get started with everything I marked the fender and made my first cut into very expensive fenders.

As you can tell from the picture below the repop rocker wasn't even close to the same size, bend angles, or dimensions as a stock rocker.

With the top part of the rocker the only thing remotely close to right I took the rocker sections and rolled them with a very flat wheel in the english wheel.

After bending the correct dimensions into the rocker I ran it through the stretcher and again through the english wheel to give it a little curve by the door area and it was enough to flow with the body and gain me 1.5" of flair. And yes, I know the body line doesn't line up. I have some more trimming to do on the bottom of the fender, but its easier to remove then it is to add.

With the passenger side tacked mostly welded in I moved onto the driver side.

With the new extensions mostly welded in I went back to the passenger side to start finishing it out. I started with the end cap so I could tie into the frame rail and make sure nothing moved. I left the top and bottom open as I need to install Rivnuts to mount the wheel well liner when I get that made and I need to weld in tubed so I can run bolts up into the fender. The back side of the fender will have aluminum L channel bonded to it on the back side.

I also checked fitment of the trans tunnel plate as well. I made it 3.5" longer because of the wheel base change and cut it out of 1/8" aluminum. This is more than likely going to be made out of carbon fiber as well.

Saturday I got the driver rocker capped off. I'm still waiting on some parts I ordered to finish things off before I can finish boxing in the extensions.

So with the stand still on the fenders I moved to the hood. I got everything measured out and then cut a big hole in the carbon fiber to start mounting the hood vent.

With that out of the way I decided to finish up the metal work on the roof. Some hammer and dolly work to get things banged into place then the shrinking disk to finish things off. I'm going to have my body guy check it out and if its acceptable then I'll weld the inner structure and roof supports back in.

With time to kill still I got the front and back of the spoiler marked to follow the stock spoiler curve and ready to cut out. My band saw blade broke so I'm gonna try and get a new one today.

With the little time I had left I started messing with the hood latch. I didn't buy the cheap knock off one that everyone is selling. I found a clean original Porsche latch on ebay pretty cheap.

Then out in the sun loading up. The rocker being black is hard to get pictures of inside.

Saturday I wasn't planning on working on the car as I was supposed to work. Another guy asked me to swap weekends with him so I wasn't really prepared to get anything done on the car. I did have the wicker bill trimmed up and filed to shape and got that installed. Now it follows the body lines.

Then I moved onto the hood latch. I forgot to cut the adapter plate out so I couldn't finish it up.

[/url]

After that I got started on mounting the HVAC module. I got two of the 3 or 4 mounts done. Some dimple die work and bead rolling to keep it strong and lose some weight.

Saturday I got after it. I had the hood latch bracket cut out and hand filed to match the shape of the hood which has an offset design. Then I got it all lined up and the bracket bolted up. I needed to slightly modify the lower bracket to accept the hood cable, but it all works like it should now.

Hood latch out of the way I got the dash removed and finished up mounting the HVAC module.

Then I got the inner roof structure welded back in.

I finished things up by getting the trunk latch support bracket modified to fit the new floor. I wasn't planning on getting this much done, so I kinda ran out of things to do for the day with the parts that I brought with me to work.

What seats are in the rendering?

Amazing build. Thanks for the regular updates.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster67 View Post
      What seats are in the rendering?
      I think they are just a generic race seat. I'm using C7 comp seats in the build, they look pretty similar just a little different around the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Amazing build. Thanks for the regular updates.

Andrew
      Thank you and you're welcome.

I was hoping they were actually some seats. I am looking for some adjustable race seats that can accommodate 5/6pt harnesses. I guess I should post in the safety section.

Saturday I got after the lower fender mounts on the passenger side. I decided to use aluminum angle that will be panel bonded to the carbon fiber fenders. The rockers I drilled large holes so I could feed tubing through with thick washers welded on the end. this let me run allen headed bolts up from the bottom. After I got the passenger side done I started on the upper close out panel. It will be finished welded in and metal worked when I take the fenders off next. I'll try and get more pictures of how I did it on the driver side. I thought I took more then I did.

Keep up the fantastic work! Man, I wish I had that much energy again

WOW very impressive build.

Saturday I got back after the fender mount on the driver side. Same as I did with the passenger side except on this side I made a template off of the passenger side so the holes were in the same place. I'll also have to finish the close out panel once I take the fenders off again.

Not much of an update, lacking some motivation to get stuff done and lacking some parts to give me motivation. I did get started on the fuel filler though. I got the area above the tank cut out to make the fill connection. This will be made into a bolt together cover once I have the pipe built. In order to check for enough drop I had to weld the driver inner wheel well in place. I had to finish fitting it a little bit before it was 100% ready to weld in. After that I located a place to put the filler cap. Not where I wanted to put it, but because of how the tank is I was really limited and I didn't want to put it on the body. With that kinda laid out I built a trunk support now that the wheel well is in the correct location.

Love this project, I'd be happy with a fraction of your fab skills haha. I'm trying to do something similar w/ a narrowed C5 cradle, C6 arms & C7 hubs & brakes, with the IRS backing up into the front mounts of the fuel tank are you going with a fuel cell or shortening the stock tank?

Quote Originally Posted by ICrombie View Post
      Love this project, I'd be happy with a fraction of your fab skills haha. I'm trying to do something similar w/ a narrowed C5 cradle, C6 arms & C7 hubs & brakes, with the IRS backing up into the front mounts of the fuel tank are you going with a fuel cell or shortening the stock tank?
      Thank you.

The stock tanks are plastic so there is no making them shorter. I'm actually running stock Corvette tanks that bolt right in. I didn't narrow anything in my car and only modified the outer frame rails which are just forward of the fuel tanks.

Fab skills are pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      Fab skills are pretty awesome
      Thank you

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com