Login / Register

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome AJ. Beautiful Fab work
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

When can I bring the Cougar for a quick rear quarter panel fix? You know...to ease the boredom of the Camaro :-)
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Awesome AJ. Beautiful Fab work
      Jason
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      When can I bring the Cougar for a quick rear quarter panel fix? You know...to ease the boredom of the Camaro :-)

Thanks guys. Andrew, I wouldn't say I'm bored with it, its more disappointed with the progress. I had a goal to drive it by the end of the year, but covid slowed work down which really slowed down car parts. I'm working on a long term solution, but thats also going to slow down progress some.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      Thanks guys. Andrew, I wouldn't say I'm bored with it, its more disappointed with the progress. I had a goal to drive it by the end of the year, but covid slowed work down which really slowed down car parts. I'm working on a long term solution, but thats also going to slow down progress some.
      Please allow me to slow you down some more and give you the opportunity to work on my sh!tbox :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Saturday I still wasn't very motivated to do anything on the car, but it needs done so I got some stuff done. I got some more riv-nuts so I was able to get those installed. I relaly like the Hammer fab dimple dies, they make for a really clean install. First up was finishing the HVAC mount and getting those riv-nuts installed. Its pretty solid with 3 mounting points. Then I added 3 to each rocker extension so I can mount the inner fenders once I get to that stage.

Then I moved onto the rear bumper. I had 2 of the mounts done and needed to finish up the 3rd. I got it finished up and then did some adjusting to the drive side mount and got everything panel bonded together.

With the bumper drying and having the panel bond already out I got the mounting tabs done for the third brake lamp and bonded to the spoiler. Pretty happy with the fitment and I'll be able to wet sand the brake lamp to finial fit the spoiler and then finish it off with a smoked candy tint to help blend it in and not stand out.

Saturday I put the washers I cut on the spoiler and got the wicker bill bolted on. I only put two on for now, but I have 7 mounting bolts to spread out the load the air will put on it.

I also made the switch from the ZL1 lid to the LS9 lid so I don't need to run the adapter to make it fit the LS9 blower. That spacer was a 1/2" thick and put me within a 1/4" of the firewall.

I also picked up a ECM and mount last week so I started wiring after I got it mounted. I started with the pigtails I had already made for the knock sensors, trans temp, speed, throttle body, coolant temp, and O2 sensors. Then I went to work stabbing out the injector control circuits, coil control circuits, MAP, MAF, supercharger pressure, and a few others I'm forgetting. Once I get the rest of the sensors, injectors, and connector ends ordered I'll be able to finish up the harness and get it taped up. I ordered a heat shrink label printer, but it didn't make it in time, but should be here this week to play with.

Not a big update since wiring takes a lot of time and doesn't look like a bunch gets done. I have most of the wiring stabbed into the ECM now, just a few more to go once that color wire gets here. Since I changed plans from the LS7 to a supercharged engine I don't have all of the right connectors, so I need to get those ordered as well then I can finish the engine harness. Need to locate a place for a fuse block so I know what direction to run the power wires.

I picked up the Dymo 5200 printer as well to help keep things organized and clean. Its much better then tape tags with sharpie that get stuck together.

I also disassembled a 6th gen Camaro chassis harness to harvest the wire. Pretty sure I should have enough length and color options to wire in the Infinity Box system. A few hours worth of work saved me a few hundred in buying wire.

Since I'm doing wiring and its not that exciting I skipped posting last week. I want to get my wiring laid out now so I can build mounting brackets and such that way I'm not hopefully cutting holes or welding stuff once the car is painted. Once everything is in its place it will get taped in factory style abrasion felt tape clean and out of the way.

Lets start with the most boring, I did some more engine wiring. I have power wires roughed out to where I'm going to put the fuse block and I have one bank of coils done. I'm missing a color wire for the passenger bank before I can finish that side up (also a good reason to start my wiring now, I'll see what I'm missing).

I started the body side of the Infinity Box install by mounting the master cell, the InMotion cell (controls windows and door latches) and the rear power cell and getting the harness run in the general direction the wires need to go.

Then I started with the sub assemblies such as separating the master module inputs to where they should go. The power window switches mount on the center console so I have a main harness connector and then the switch harness so everything is easy to service should I need to take it apart.

The trunk harness is also roughed out and the heat shrink label maker makes things easy to know what does what when I get to the finial wiring.

Also part of the wiring is the vapor works controllers. It takes a min to figure out what goes where with this system, but its much simpler then it seems.

Ok so to get everyone up to speed quick fast I quit my job at Chevy in San Antonio and moved to The Woodlands and went back to Cadillac which is part of why there haven't been much of an update. The only thing that sucks is the shop is 8-3 instead of 8-5 so I lose some time to be able to work on the car. Better then no progress though. I've also been wiring and thats kinda hard to show progress on since its adding a circuit here and there, not that exciting.

So lets start at the last update. To make my harness as much as one bundle as factory would be I went ahead and ran the door speaker wires and put a connector at the console so if I needed to remove stuff I don't have to completely take the car apart.

Then I moved onto the fuse blocks and getting them mounted. The interior block I mounted where the C6 keyfob pocket used to be since its useless oin my car. The underhood fuse block I used a block from a 2000 Astro van. Its the same block that GM uses is their crate engine harness.

One of the guys on here built me a vacuum pump control module and I mounted that inside the car after wiring it up.

Then it was just some odds and ends stuff like adding a third brake lamp flasher for extra safety, the ignition switch connector, and finishing up the power window switch harness.

After that I moved onto wiring the under hood fuse block with as much as I already had from the ECM and misc. sensors. The nice thing about working at a dealer is we normally have all the right terminals in stock so I don't have to order them or scab cut wires together.

Which brings me to this past weekend. I mounted the HVAC Dakota digital controller and harness, started wiring the Infinity Box inDash unit and more Master cell inputs like the brake and clutch. Also again, nice to have access to the right terminals to keep as much OEM as possible.

Been a min since I updated this. Basically more wiring happened then I didn't feel like working on the car for a bit, some other random things instead and a trip out of state for a wedding. I decided to take a break from wiring because I'm tired of it and I need some more parts and to fab some more mounts before I can go any farther with it. Lets skip to the fun stuff now.

I wasn't super excited with the Borla muffler. I wanted a real 3" duel in and out X pipe muffler. The problem was the one I wanted that would work for my setup only came in a kit Holley sells for 6th gen Camaros. Luck would have it that a buddy of mine got a job with them and was able to get one for me. The plan here is in on one half the muffler with a vacuum cut out that will me module controlled like Camaros and Vettes are for a mild to wild tune ability.

So with that checked out I went to the front of the car to slice up some expensive carbon fiber. I need more room up front to fit the tires with ZR1 brakes and the vette suspension. I gained enough room I hope. I need to find tires to check the fitment. Planning on getting this side done before moving onto the driver side.

I think we all go through those stages where you get burnt out. Nice work on the fender. I'm sure you had a slight hesitation before you cut it nearly in half haha. I know I would.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

OK so here are some updates on whats going on with the car since its been a while. While I was working on it the last time I learned that I wasn't actually aloud to be doing so as its against company policy and my manager was misinformed when she said it was cool (because I asked before I even came to work here). So I haven't been able to work on the car in about a month now. What I was working on last was the splitter and the wide body front fenders. Here are the pics so far. I'm not happy with the splitter as its 7" off the ground at ride height. I think I'm going to build a taller spoiler and drop it down 2" more.

With not being able to get the car into the shop I have to find other ways to get things done and keep some kind of progress going. I started with the transmission tunnel plate. I went with 6 layers on 11oz carbon and a 2mm core in a wet lay up then vacuum bagged it. After trimming to the right size you can see how much stiffer it is from the 1/8" aluminum plate. I saved 2lbs with this as well.

Even with 12" of over hang the carbon is still stiffer then the aluminum

In the days off that I have nothing to do I started working on my trailer. Full clay bar and polishing. Cleans up nice for never have even washed this thing since I got it in 2016.

Moving forward from here I've decided to go work for my buddy that is opening a hot rod shop and will be moving back to San Antonio at the end of January. So with the new job I will also have shop space to work on the car again so look for updates to start again in February.

So we're back with work on the Camaro. Well, except this weekend because it was too cold in the shop. The new shop I'm working for is D Built Hotrods. Give us a follow on Facebook or Instagram. Dbuilt.hotrods on Insta and I think its the same on Facebook. CamaroAJ is my personal one where I post the car up.

Anyways I got the car racked up and to work. Last time I worked on the car I made temp brackets because I didn't have any steel to make solid enough brackets to hold things where they needed to be.

With the new brackets made the wheel clears at full lock at ride height. I still have offset upper control arm bushings to install to move the wheel in and get a bit more clearance. Then I use zip screws to hold everything together and sanded the fender to get everything bonded back together.

With the passenger fender ready to bond I test fit the carbon fiber trans tunnel plate that I made and it fit perfectly. Then I pulled the chassis harness out and got it all zip tied up and put away until I'm ready for some more wiring now that I have most of it roughed in.

Sweet !
      Glad to see you back on this amazing build!
      I was following on Fakebock and here as well. But will be following on here from now on!
      Thanks for sharing!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Long overdue post. Sorry to neglect the updates, but I promise I've been busy on the car. I'll start with the "list". I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have to do still and made a list of things just off the top of my head that needed to be done so I can focus on a task, well try to anyways until I get to a point I need parts or I'm bored with it for the time being.

Next lets tackle the little tasks I've been working on. Anvil stepped up to help me with my project so I was able to mount my mirrors finally. So big thank you to them for sure. I had to do a little sanding to get the trim rings to fit like they should since these are older mirrors before the rings were even a though. After that they were bonded in as well as the base plate using 3M panel bond.

I also started on the frame work for the package tray waterfall since I have no back seats and the fuel tanks are now in that position. This will get more work later as I have to deiced on what size speaker to use and then incorporate a sub box into it.

I did decide to mount my hood release handle when I could get to it pretty easy since I'll have a cage that would block it if I put it in the kick panel.

The accessory drive, the horns, the underhood fuse block, the brake booster vacuum line have all been mounted, and the extension of the center console has been started.

One of my smaller projects has been working on bucks for the tail lamp molds as I plan on making them out of carbon fiber. I don't spend much time on them, just every so often mess with them for a few minuets.

I also started mounting the supercharger cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. I was really happy with their location, but I might end up moving the power steering cooler. As I had some scrap carbon fiber pieces laying around I used them as part of the cooler mounting brackets.

The engine made its way to the machine shop so I had access to the engine bay again. I decided to move my ECM into the car because of a couple other changes I have planned. That gave me room to cut the hole for the grommet I'm using for the pass through. And before you ask, I don't remember what car I pulled it out of. There is no part number on it and it just says Delphi on it. It was one of the many chassis harnesses I replaced at the dealer throughout the years. I also mounted the positive battery cable bulkhead while I was there and did some weld clean up.

I don't like the idea of all the water getting into my engine bay when I wash the car or it rains, so I did some arts and crafts and made a fiberglass rain tray thats removable with a few nuts on the 5th gen hood vent.

Awesome build, thanks for sharing.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Man, a lot of cool stuff there!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thank you, guys.

Time for part 2.

Some small stuff I forgot in the last post. The drip rail delete I've started to fully weld. The "body guy" that helped me years ago was wrong on how they should be done so I'm fixing that before it becomes a problem down the road. I metal worked the tubs and got them ready for epoxy and I welded in the edge of the trunk drop to match the wider quarter panel like the other side.

A semi big project I wanted to do was a hood rib delete because of the 5th gen Camaro hood vent. Doing so also required the front valance also be deleted. I needed to do this in stages so that the hood maintained it shape. I supported with clear plexi under the cut out places and laid fresh carbon in a wet layup like you would do with fiberglass and then put a overlapping piece top and bottom to add strength to the joint.

Getting that done I was able to bond the hood vents in. On the side vents after bonding them in I modified the back part so they sat smooth with the hood with some minor fiberglass work. That pretty much wraps up my hood, so it it now ready for body work and paint when I get to that point.

The front lower spoiler is a work in progress. I dabble here and there with it when I'm doing other carbon fiber work. I needed it to be about 3/4" taller, so with pretty much everything else I have from Anvil, I cut it up.

I have been wanting to have a brake cooler duct and another duct to run to the rear for the trans and diff. coolers. My original plan was a set of C7 quarter ducts, but I wasn't able to get the lines right without reall changing the Camaro body lines and I really didn't want to do that. So plan B was to modify the NACA duct in the door/quarter to do both. The wheel well side will duct around and into the brakes kinda like a C6 Corvette did, just with better ducting. The top of the duct will go over the wheel well and through the trunk drop to the diff. cooler on the passenger side. I still need to build the driver side, but it will cooler the trans cooler.

[/url]

Something that has bothered me since the day I welded then in was the finger pockets for the door handles. I made the pockets in a flat piece and then welded in a flat section into a door that is curved. Because there is some support structor in the door no matter what I did I was never able to correct the metal and get the shape it needed to be. So I cut them out and made new panels with the english wheel to add the needed curve.

That brings up to todays update. After a few different designs for the finger pocket for the door handles I just wasn't happy with the shapes. So instead of wasting even more time on them I decided to go with C6 door handles. I made pockets for them to go in the door and then welded them in before metal working them out. Ignore the door edge, it will get finished up when the quarters get welded back on and I can adjust the gaps.

Country Flag: Canada
      Aj when youre finished with your patterns for the vette door handle button and quarter ....id be interested in buying them . If youre interested in selling them
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com