Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Saturday my racks were tied up so I used it more as an engineering kinda day to lay out some ideas and placement of things. With the fenders now lined up I double checked the alignment so I know my wheels are in the right place to be able to cut the fenders.

With that out of the way I built some mock up sized heat exchangers to see if they would fit where I want to put them. I'll have one 11x17 exchanger on each side of the car that will be ducked in the front and exhaust through the wheel wells. I also found a place to mount my front Infinity Box power cell.

I then moved into the dash to locate a spot for the Infinity Box inMotion cell that controls the windows and door latches. As I'm not using an air bag in the car it just so happen that the C6 dash passenger air bag bracket was a perfect spot for the module and I can access it by opening the glove box door all the way.

With that stuff handled I started to lay out some different hood vent options. This is two of the options. So far the 3 vent is the one I'm leaning towards and I have one more option using a 5th gen Camaro Vent (not pictured). Both 3 vent options will have the center rib removed from the front valance, hood, and wiper cowl. Kris Horton is working on updating my renders with the options so I can make a for sure decision.

Instagram: CamaroAJ

Country Flag: United States
      Though both could work, I'd personally favor the 3 vent version partly just because of more style to the center. Honestly , I'd like to see a center vent with the traditional v-rib molded into it.
      All opinion , but looked into all sorts of hood vent options for my custom hood, including a 5th gen sort of center look or anvil hood look. Also thought about a split version of your center shape, leaving the rib.. I was hinting towards a similar center with more Aston Martin inspired outer vents with some shape to them. Maybe not in the position of only pic I could find here, but along that sort of shape maybe.
      Interested to see what you come up with.
      Name:  20180125_174853.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  174.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Though both could work, I'd personally favor the 3 vent version partly just because of more style to the center. Honestly , I'd like to see a center vent with the traditional v-rib molded into it.
      All opinion , but looked into all sorts of hood vent options for my custom hood, including a 5th gen sort of center look or anvil hood look. Also thought about a split version of your center shape, leaving the rib.. I was hinting towards a similar center with more Aston Martin inspired outer vents with some shape to them. Maybe not in the position of only pic I could find here, but along that sort of shape maybe.
      Interested to see what you come up with.
      The hood you posted is a ram air style. I’m trying to get the air out from under the hood. I talked to a company that makes good vents and they said it wasn’t worth making a vent unless there was a big demand for it, which there isn’t.

I used this Camaro hood vent on a 69. Carried the rib up onto the vent. Looked ok.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Don, thats one that Kris is rendering for me using the anvil side vents to go with it. I'm having him delete the hood rib though to smooth it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      Don, thats one that Kris is rendering for me using the anvil side vents to go with it. I'm having him delete the hood rib though to smooth it out.
      My skill set wouldn’t allow me to eliminate that rib down the length of a steel hood. I could foresee a lot of shrinkage and cursing...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      My skill set wouldn’t allow me to eliminate that rib down the length of a steel hood. I could foresee a lot of shrinkage and cursing...

Don
      My hood is carbon and has no under structure. Its basically arts and crafts time with a little cut and paste lol.

My hood is carbon and has no under structure. Its basically arts and crafts time with a little cut and paste lol.
      It gonna take some serious stones to cut on those expensive fenders and hood. Pretty sure I couldn’t do it. You Da Man.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Looking great!! I vote 3 vents too.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

I need to extract air behind the ram air custom front portion of my modified el camino hood. Was mainly just showing you the shapes of the aston martin styled hood vents as an option to something rectangular add on looking. There are some carbon fiber aston martin hood vents made also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asto...biw=1366&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      I need to extract air behind the ram air custom front portion of my modified el camino hood. Was mainly just showing you the shapes of the aston martin styled hood vents as an option to something rectangular add on looking. There are some carbon fiber aston martin hood vents made also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asto...biw=1366&hl=en

Oh I didn’t notice those the first time.

I vote the 3 vent setup too! I did some aero testing in my 68 Camaro and the center is definitely more efficient than the sides. Getting all 3 would be sweet.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      I vote the 3 vent setup too! I did some aero testing in my 68 Camaro and the center is definitely more efficient than the sides. Getting all 3 would be sweet.
      Did you to the wool tuff testing? Happen to have any pictures or video of it? I've always wanted to do it and I want to try some with just a big fan in front of the car since it doesn't run.

The side vents if I use the anvil ones have a lip at the front which would kinda act like a wicker bill and cause a low pressure behind it so that would help some.

Did you to the wool tuff testing? Happen to have any pictures or video of it? I've always wanted to do it and I want to try some with just a big fan in front of the car since it doesn't run.

The side vents if I use the anvil ones have a lip at the front which would kinda act like a wicker bill and cause a low pressure behind it so that would help some.
      I did wool tuft testing and used a magnahelic gauge. I posted it on here, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it I have pics, video and some calculations / analysis. Enjoy.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      I did wool tuft testing and used a magnahelic gauge. I posted it on here, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it I have pics, video and some calculations / analysis. Enjoy.
      I remember reading that now. The video looks like a low pressure on the flats to the side of the cowl with the strings not staying flat.

Saturday got off to a late start because of rain and having to move cars around at work. So I did't get to what I wanted to do. Instead I got the fuel tank mounts trimmed to fit, then hammer and dollied the dents and scrapes out of them.

I've decided to start doing some wiring where I can by getting the pig tails built. So far I have half of the transmission connectors and some of the engine sensors done.

I also got the vapor worx controllers mounted for my fuel system behind the driver seat.

I finished up the day doing a finial marking for trim on the core support.

And laying out a 5th gen Camaro hood vent with the Anvil vents.

And because everything is lined up and this was a good angle of the car.

Looking great man! That angle makes it look like the car is going to pop a wheelie with the skinny up front.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Looking great man! That angle makes it look like the car is going to pop a wheelie with the skinny up front.
      Thank you. I need to get some front tires so I can get the meats on the front too and make it look more race car and less drag car.

Started back on the outer wheel tubs so I can get that finished up and ready for epoxy so I can get the floors welded in and the quarters closer to being ready to weld back on. The small stuff takes the longest to fab up and get fit right. Hoping to get the driver tub finished up next weekend. The passenger side is already close to being done so not as much work to get that side finished up.

Love this car. What do you plan to do with it once you are done?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com