Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Largest 1st gen F-body fuel tank?

Does anyone know who currently makes the largest capcity fuel tank for a 1969 Firebird/Camaro? I don't want to cut into the trunk and I still need to run leaf spring shackles, I am not mini-tubed nor plan on it. I would like it to of course be baffled and hopefully add a few gallons over stock. I'd also hope it can accept an in tank EFI fuel pump setup.

Thanks!!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Does anyone know who currently makes the largest capcity fuel tank for a 1969 Firebird/Camaro? I don't want to cut into the trunk and I still need to run leaf spring shackles, I am not mini-tubed nor plan on it. I would like it to of course be baffled and hopefully add a few gallons over stock. I'd also hope it can accept an in tank EFI fuel pump setup.

Thanks!!
      Stock was 18 gallons. You want more than that? Rick's tanks might build you one if you need more capacity.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

I was hoping for a 20 or 21, yes.

Thanks, I'll look them up.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I've put a 22g fuel cell in the trunk before and it cleared the offset leaf's and still ran 3" exhaust. You'll be cutting into the trunk floor though.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

You can go with a Tanks, Inc setup which will be stock 18 gal capacity and won’t break the bank. You can get one ready for an in-tank pump with or without the tank corners notched (exhaust pipe clearance). Even with the corners notched, the tanks are deeper to maintain the stock capacity. The fuel injection tanks are also baffled and come powder coated. Without going to a fuel cell or building a one-off unit it might be tough to get more capacity.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

That sucks they don't offer the non-notched version as deeper for extra capacity.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Added capacity means added weight, and more variation in front/rear weight distribution going from full to empty. Is there a reason you need more capacity (are you running a Cannonball)?

Since you're switching to EFI, optimizing the tune (especially with closed loop @ WOT), should realize some fuel savings. Adding overdrive like a T56 would also extend range.

If you're really set on more fuel, you could add a small fuel cell on the rear shelf of the trunk and have it gravity feed into main tank. But I'd weld in a firewall where the back seat sits, and use stainless hard lines for the piping and connections for safety.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I'm curious, as we all probably are. are you like 200 miles from a fuel stop or ?
      seems like a custom tank would be a lot of extra coin just to go another 50 miles.

I live in Central CA and I use my car to go on many long trips. Things are pretty far apart in the Western US. There are car events on the coast, in the Bay Aera, in So Cal, in Vegas, even Texas. If I'm replacing my tank anyway, it may as well hold a few more gallons but I'm not going to waste money if it's a rip off to do so. It should be a no-brainer that there are vendors that offer deeper tanks than stock, but I guess I'm wrong.

1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I live in Central CA and I use my car to go on many long trips. Things are pretty far apart in the Western US. There are car events on the coast, in the Bay Aera, in So Cal, in Vegas, even Texas. If I'm replacing my tank anyway, it may as well hold a few more gallons but I'm not going to waste money if it's a rip off to do so. It should be a no-brainer that there are vendors that offer deeper tanks than stock, but I guess I'm wrong.
      Less ground clearance though so then there is a risk of ripping the tank out or hitting it on something.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Even adding 5 more gallons you'll still have to make a stop to fill up depending on where your headed. I think the juice isn't worth the squeeze too look for a larger tank.

Just plan accordingly.
      Ahmad B.

Not considering the insane prices places are wanting for custom tanks that are only a little larger, you are right. I decided to pass on this one. Gotta pick your battles to win the war lol.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Custom tank

I'd contact this guy, you might like what you hear:

https://fueltankparts.com/pages/custom-fuel-tanks

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com