Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I"m wondering if some of your problem is coming from resonance? I used 6 CLD tiles from SDS on the roof of my G8GT, which made a big difference.

My exhaust was also resonating(drone) at 128Hz (right around 2000rpm) which was migraine city. I added a J-Pipe resonator tuned to that length and the drone went away without affecting the exhaust tone. IF you think it may help I can share my calculator I made(not complex), or help you with the correct length to add. Each system is different so I don't know if your Borla has resonance issues or not, jut thought I'd toss this in the mix.

As an aside-I added lost of dynamat to my 69 cutlass LS2, which didn't have the effect I was hoping for. I am removing the majority of it for decoupled MLV.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      I"m wondering if some of your problem is coming from resonance? I used 6 CLD tiles from SDS on the roof of my G8GT, which made a big difference.

My exhaust was also resonating(drone) at 128Hz (right around 2000rpm) which was migraine city. I added a J-Pipe resonator tuned to that length and the drone went away without affecting the exhaust tone. IF you think it may help I can share my calculator I made(not complex), or help you with the correct length to add. Each system is different so I don't know if your Borla has resonance issues or not, jut thought I'd toss this in the mix.

As an aside-I added lost of dynamat to my 69 cutlass LS2, which didn't have the effect I was hoping for. I am removing the majority of it for decoupled MLV.
      Good idea.

I just got some Membrane from Restomod Air today, it looks like the typical dynomat type of stuff with an extra layer of foil plus some butyl? I forget exactly what is in it offhand, but it does look like a pretty convenient way to cover a few of the bases in terms of sound deadening and heat suppression. I suppose you could always stick some ensolite or similar on it, but for firewall/floor purposes this seem pretty ideal.
      If GM would ever start making head gaskets again I could install this and see if my feet still burn. This is a cut edge (it got shipped to Nashville, but my mom was nice enough to pick it up and cut it into flat rate box-sized pieces and send it to me).
      Name:  20191102_130656.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  20191102_130721.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  132.6 KB
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Wrapping the front half of my exhaust, from where the headers end up to where the mufflers start, helped. Used the 2" "titanium" wrap. Helped with heat mainly.

Trying to get rid of rear end gear whine myself. Fabbed 9" with a Speedtech torque arm. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      I used Dynamat Extreme which works awesome, but the cherry on top is adding a layer of 1/4" Dynaliner on top of the Dynamat Extreme. I can tell you, in my experience, adding the Dynaliner made as much or more difference in the sound deadening as it did with just the Dynamat. The two work well together as the Extreme blocks heat and takes out the "tinny" sound while the Dynaliner further knocks down the noise and adds very little weight in the process. Good luck!
      I like the idea of the 2 in 1 stuff like Membrane because of ease of installation and its both butyl and foam. But if one uses 2 separate layers it appears there is either closed cell foam or fiber matting. I like the fiber because it looks more substantial, most seem to have a foil cover but I'm not sure its waterproof and also requires spray adhesive. The foam is waterproof, without a foil cover (like dynaliner) but is self-adhesive. I'm guessing both have "required" fire ratings.

For those of you that have used both foam and fiber which type do you prefer?
      -Bob (66 Nova)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com