Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1971 NOVA Track Car Build questions

Hi all,
      Im new to these forums, but coming from BMWCCA club racing I have spent a lot of time on the forums in the past with great success. I'm sure from what I read I will find the same knowledge and guidance here. Here is the story. I just bought a one owner 1971 Nova, real nice shape structurally. My history is in BMWs, as I have built a few and raced them for 10 years. I can weld pretty well, my stuff does not break, however I would not be admitted to SEMA! I have a great garage with lift and tons of fabricating tools as Im a landscaper and I build most of my trucks. I plan to track this car heavily and Im sure at some point it will have a cage tied into the sub-frames as that is where I come from.

[B]HERE IS WHAT IM THINKING OF PUTTING UNDER THE CAR

1) Eihter Speed tech or DSE front clip as they come powder coated.

2) AME IRS rear

3) Gm's LS3 package with t6 trans and the ECU and wiring.

4) WILLWOOD BRAKES...GOOD ONES!

[B]MY QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS

1) The front clip seems pretty straight forward correct?

2) The AME IRS. I know this is a **** ton of work, but Im afraid if I do not do it now I will not be happy in the end. This unit is almost identical to my BMW setup that I have run and setup for years. I looked at DSE 4 link and that is a lot of work as well. I think I would miss the adjust ability of the IRS later when the car is done.

* Can I successfully put this unit in my car in my garage without a chassis table?

* AME says the Nova is different than the camaro and they will have to build one specific to the Nova.

* The nova rear does not have a real sub-frame and the existing rails will have to be removed and the new rear clip installed, correct?

* I will have to tub the car so I would imagine it will work well to have those out so I have better access to the sub frame work?

* Does anyone have input on the cradle size of the IRS.

* I plan to put the front clip in and measure it and line it up while the rear is still in place. After the front is in and true I can use that for help to make the rear sub-frame square to the front. Correct?

Ok Thanks thats it for now. I know this is a lot of work and Im prepared for that. I just want to make sure it is within my skill set to get the sub-frame in and straight. The final fabricating you see, I will ask for help as it is not my forte and it is what you see. This is the same way i do home improvements, I will demo, frame, but the drywall goes to others Hahaha... PLEASE GIVE ME AS MUCH INPUT AS POSSIBLE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
      Last edited by tmunroe22; 09-05-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: SPELLING

I agree. Let the drywall guys do their thing. Essentially body guys for cars. Same idea. I wouldn’t do either.

Can’t help with any of your questions except to say don’t rule out a good solid axle rear suspension like a torque arm or watts / 3 link. Just look what a nascar or trans am car can do with such a setup. I don’t think it’s as much of a limitation as you are making it out to be.

That said the IRS does sound like a cool project too.

But at least do some research and see what the fast optima challenge type cars are running.
      Hint : not IRS.
      FWIW

Oh. And we need some pics !!!!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      I agree. Let the drywall guys do their thing. Essentially body guys for cars. Same idea. I wouldn’t do either.

Can’t help with any of your questions except to say don’t rule out a good solid axle rear suspension like a torque arm or watts / 3 link. Just look what a nascar or trans am car can do with such a setup. I don’t think it’s as much of a limitation as you are making it out to be.

That said the IRS does sound like a cool project too.

But at least do some research and see what the fast optima challenge type cars are running.
      Hint : not IRS.
      FWIW

Oh. And we need some pics !!!!
      Thanks for that and yes you are correct with the solid axle, I will research for sure. Pics to come.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com