Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Holley LS engine mount, Total Height Installed.

Looking for total stack height of Holley LS engine mount kit, engine bracket and clamshell mount. Measurement from subframe mounting surface to engine mounting surface.

Was looking at this thread and this pic

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-buy-the/page3

Trying to get my engine set down low in the chassis for hood clearance and T56 clearance.
      69 camaro, stock suspension layout with upgraded parts, LY6 with truck accesories. I will cut the subframe for clearance is needed. Undecided on oil pan, probably Holley.
      Name:  20190902_061405.jpeg
Views: 1975
Size:  96.8 KB

I have the exact same setup you pictured in my 68. Running a T56 magnum and stock flat style hood. No modifying the trans tunnel and plenty of clearance everywhere. I would definitely use the -2 or -3 pan if you are going to the other Holley parts.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I have the exact same setup you pictured in my 68. Running a T56 magnum and stock flat style hood. No modifying the trans tunnel and plenty of clearance everywhere. I would definitely use the -2 or -3 pan if you are going to the other Holley parts.
      130fe, what accessory drive are you running? I dont know what type is in the picture.

I believe the only pan that works with the 1st gen f-body Holley mounts is the 302-1. Double check with the Holley website!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The Holley 302-2 and 302-3 pans are the ones that are usable with the Hooker Blackheart 1st-gen F-Body LS swap system components.

Great feedback guys, car pictured is not mine, Toddoky posted it.

Does anyone have their car apart enough to get a measurement on the total installed height of the Holley mount from subframe mounting surface to engine mounting surface.

Im considering going a different route on the mounts to get the engine lower in the chassis. Can anyone comment if I use the Holley 302-2 pan - What engine clearance issues Id run into with a half inch or more lower engine placement.

Subframe I can notch, suspension components not so much.

Headers I understand will be an issue, I dont mind chopping them.

Indy, I have their mid mount system and all of the other newest version Holley mounts and headers. The picture you posted looks like a vintage Air front runner system I think. Either way there are very close ones n dimensions but I think the mid mount is better with the newer style alternator and C7 water pump (cartridge style). I am sure Todd (Toddoky) can give you an idea of the stack height. He has been a great help on the boards for a lot of the Holley stuff. Thanks Todd!

Just curious on why you are trying to lower it, trying to put an LSA or something similar in?

I can’t give you a measurement though right now. I am out of town for the next couple of weeks.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Looking to use truck intake with 69 stock height cowl hood. This will get me 49lb injectors when I swap to L96 Flex Fuel's, to support .600 or so cam and power requirements. Likely hone throttle bore and remove inner gussets on a spare truck intake. Not too concerned on appearance between truck intake and LS3 intake. I keep the hood closed from years of street racing. May go with L76 intake if necessary, clip style map sensor.

If I need to buy a complete accessory drive and complete Holley install kit - my budget is gone, see ya next year.

I dont mind cutting the floor if needed, yes i know everything is supposed to clear with Holley system, but would prefer not to. I shot the bottom of the car with gravitex and urethane on a rotisserie and no longer have the rotisserie.

Im considering using factory big block mounts with short wide poly mounts and swap plates. Would like to compare the stack height of the Holley mounts to this combo. I dont mind fixturing and welding up shorter frame stands if needed.
      I like that the factory big block mounts shift the location to the passenger side compares to sbc.

If someone has a 302-2 holley pan with holley mounts, how much clearance is there to go lower in the chassis, whats going to hit first.

Not concerned with sectioning and welding on the subframe for clearance, Ive owned the car for 28 years as a driver and drag car, there plenty of other permanent welded mods.

I was able to scrounge up the parts for that Hooker Blackheart engine bracket/mount assembly and measure its stacked height for you...it's 3.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      I was able to scrounge up the parts for that Hooker Blackheart engine bracket/mount assembly and measure its stacked height for you...it's 3.5".
      Awesome. I still looking at them. Would prefer to use these.

I have this setup as well, but wanted to add that the Mast oil pan will supposedly clear. It's what I plan on running since I have an LS7 and need the clearance for the longer stroke. Mast says it will, and Hot Rod Magazine used it in their Crusher Camaro when they swapped in an LS7, I think it was during PRI? They used everything Holley and it fit no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      I have this setup as well, but wanted to add that the Mast oil pan will supposedly clear. It's what I plan on running since I have an LS7 and need the clearance for the longer stroke. Mast says it will, and Hot Rod Magazine used it in their Crusher Camaro when they swapped in an LS7, I think it was during PRI? They used everything Holley and it fit no problem.
      Hey John, I can give you a little further insight on this as I was at the PRI Show that year helping them with getting the engine swapped into the car. The main engine crossmember in the car was deeply notched to clear the oil pan on a previous engine swap, so you're not being provided with a clear picture of fitment by the fact the engine was equipped with a Mast pan.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but the Holley 302-3 oil pan will clear a 4" stroke crank also.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Hey John, I can give you a little further insight on this as I was at the PRI Show that year helping them with getting the engine swapped into the car. The main engine crossmember in the car was deeply notched to clear the oil pan on a previous engine swap, so you're not being provided with a clear picture of fitment by the fact the engine was equipped with a Mast pan.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but the Holley 302-3 oil pan will clear a 4" stroke crank also.
      Oh, I did not know that you were involved with that. Do you work for Holley?

I did call Mast and they did say it would fit, but I'd rather stick with all Holley stuff since I know it was designed to work together. I didn't know they had a pan to clear the 4" stroke of the LS7.

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      Oh, I did not know that you were involved with that. Do you work for Holley?

I did call Mast and they did say it would fit, but I'd rather stick with all Holley stuff since I know it was designed to work together. I didn't know they had a pan to clear the 4" stroke of the LS7.
      Yes, I'm a design engineer at Holley and my primary responsibility is the development of the Hooker Blackheart engine swap systems, which now includes LS, LT, Coyote and Gen 3 Hemi applications. The 302-2 Holley pan was designed to offer a few more features than the 302-2 pan (i.e. clearance for a 4" stroke crankshaft and turbo drain back ports) and also better fitment in a few applications due to the chamfered front corners of its sump.

I have a mast pan in my camaro with the Holley setup. -2 pan did not clear my tru turn set up. Mast pan has no problem. My set up is the old tru turn.
      1970 Elcamino ls3/t56, ricks/vaporworx, sc&c afx ,forgeline zx3, kore3 z51/ls1
      1969 Camaro ls1/t56, ricks/vaporworx, ride-tech,forgeline ga3,
      1996 civic the car that makes it all possible

Toddoky,

Any feedback on how badly a gen 4 truck low mount compressor interferes with the subframe or steering components. Hooker Blackheart install pdf says the mounts will not work with low mount.

If a low mount a/c takes a subframe notch I can live with that, if it sits in the middle of the sway bay, thats an issue I dont want to tackle.

I did see the Holley / Hooker high mount a/c conversion bracket. Looking into it more.

Im an Engr too, havent designed for some time, pulled into operations, purchasing, quality mgr. I hope you understand my need to thoroughly review all options based on my build criteria. :-) Really appreciate your assistance.

I will take a look through my file photos to see if I have anything that will help answer your question on the stock truck compressor. I understand your need for information, which is why I show up on the forums I am on to post it up.

You have a few options for accommodating the A/C compressor mounting when using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets, but using the stock A/C truck compressor is not one of them due to the cantilevered design nature of the engine mounting brackets. If you stick with the truck FEAD system, you can use the Holley top mount A/C relocation bracket, or you may also be able to use the Holley low-mount A/C compressor mounting bracket for the Sanden SD7B10 compressor. The clearance of the low-mount set-up installed at the truck FEAD spacing has been verified to clear the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting bracket in a CAD model scenario, but the clearance of the assembly to the anti-sway bar has not been checked on a vehicle at this point in time. This two images depict the fitment envelope of the Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket. Name:  1st-gen AC.JPG
Views: 1085
Size:  49.0 KBName:  20-159_front_dimensions.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  150.0 KB

Toddoky,

You have a PM!

Thanks!

This is so helpful. Thank You.

Holley 302-3 pan is on order. L76 intake is on the way, looking at idler pulley relocation options.

Will swap the pan, mock up front suspension, and do some test fits with truck AC mount, see what happens.

What firewall clearance is typical with Blackheart mounts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com