Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Blinker Issue

Blinker Issue

Background:

Just installed a new Ron Francis 24/7 wiring harness. Replaced the front turn signal sockets with new sockets (not just the spring and pins), extra ground from the socket to the grounding backbone, Super-Brite LED 1157 amber bulbs, new headlight switch, rear tail lights are Digi-Tails full panel replacement LED lights.

What works: Headlights work fine; front marker lights work fine; rear tail lights work fine; rear brake lights work fine

What doesn't work: turn signals... If I engage a turn signal, both the front and rear lights on that side light up but do not blink. Both the left and right side does this.

What I've tried: three different LED rated flashers, swapping the flasher fuse and relay, no changes

What I need: Any hints on where to start troubleshooting next?

Attached Images Attached Images        

Country Flag: United States
      put regular bulbs in the front light sockets, see if it's enough resistance to trigger the flasher.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Country Flag: United States
      It sure sounds like a flasher problem. Some LED flashers require a ground connection to operate properly. Also make sure the amp rating on the flasher is within the range of both the front and rear LEDs. It may be that the flasher you're using has a higher amp rating than the two LED lights that come on when the blinker is on. Does the 4-way flasher work, and does it use the same flasher or is it separate?

Try swapping the wires on the flasher. I am assuming it has an "L" shaped plug so it goes in only one way. Rearrange the wires in the cavity or make some jumpers. LED compatible flashers have a specific power and out put terminals.
      The Dr.'s 1st law of auto repair: When the need arises,any tool or object closest to you becomes a hammer.

A question-

The Digi-Tails -not familial with them-

Are they designed for constant voltage or on/off?

I know some sequentials need to see a constant source and they handle the flashing internally.

The front lights will not without a flasher-

So you might have to wire the front and rear separate- put a flasher in the front circuit- and wire the dash indicator to that circuit as well. And the rear- you'll just have a constant source.

Try disconnecting the fronts (pull the bulbs)- jump the flasher and see what the rears do- or you coud just put a 12v source on the rear lights and see what happenns- let us know.

On my car I have my side mirrors that require constant - the indicators are running off one side of a speedway motor sequential module- then have a separate module for the rear and the reverse lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Corvette View Post
      Try swapping the wires on the flasher. I am assuming it has an "L" shaped plug so it goes in only one way. Rearrange the wires in the cavity or make some jumpers. LED compatible flashers have a specific power and out put terminals.
      We have a winner. Had to swap the polarity of the flasher and now things work fine. Thank you all for the replies and hints.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com