Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

AME GT Sport front clip for 69 Camaro

Greetings, I have a question for those that have used this front sub frame from Morrison and have used A-arms from others. They are pretty proud of their suspension components and I have read that they use C6 spindles and A-body arms. I have already purchased the bare subframe and plan to buy the rest of the components as I save the funds. I am curious if anyone has used non Morrison components on their setups...if I can save some coin over the high priced AME components that would help advance my project greatly.Name:  20190828_173858.jpeg
Views: 778
Size:  85.5 KBName:  2019-camaro-1.jpeg
Views: 910
Size:  35.0 KB

You are going to have to use their tubular A arms to get the geometry right. I see they cut off the Corvette stock steering arms and have their own bolt on steering arms so you can source your own spindle and just cut the stock steering arms off,& buy the Morrison bolt on arms.
      I think we have a pair of Corvette spindles we took off our Morrison sub, went to drop spindles. We don't have the steering arms, sold them.
      PM me if interested.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      You are going to have to use their tubular A arms to get the geometry right. I see they cut off the Corvette stock steering arms and have their own bolt on steering arms so you can source your own spindle and just cut the stock steering arms off,& buy the Morrison bolt on arms.
      I think we have a pair of Corvette spindles we took off our Morrison sub, went to drop spindles. We don't have the steering arms, sold them.
      PM me if interested.
      David, do you happen to know what brand AME is using for their steering racks? I have been trying to locate an alternative source for the rack. The dealer I have been using to purchase my AME parts is terrible and won't even answer simple email questions. I would like to find some other avenues to get the parts I need to complete my AME front clip.

They use a Maval rack, or at least they used to. I swapped it to a DSE rack.

Don
      Last edited by dhutton; 10-31-2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Typo
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The DSE rack fit without modification?
      I'm assuming these racks are a variant of the Pinto rack?

DSE rack will fit. It’s a Mustang rack. We didn’t like the DSE rack ratio. Too slow at 20:1. Went with a Maval rebuilt rack, 15:1.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 11-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.

DSE rack will fit. It’s a Mustang rack. We didn’t like the DSE rack ratio. Too slow at 20:1. Went with a naval rebuilt rack, 15:1.

I was told it was the other way around. You didn't like the faster rack so you went to the DSE slower rack? I'm a AME dealer so I ask my rep there these questions and that's the answer I received.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

CDog, I haven't been too pleased with the customer service from the dealer I have been using, perhaps you would be interested in helping me finish my AME from clip?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      CDog, I haven't been too pleased with the customer service from the dealer I have been using, perhaps you would be interested in helping me finish my AME from clip?

Sure. Call me to discuss. Corey 714-658-6291
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

I got my sub frist, ordered the 15:1 from the start, but still haven't gotten it running.
      Shipka ordered a similar setup for the One Lap Camaro. Worked well.
      Mary then ordered her AME sub and went with their recommendation, which was the DSE 20:1. I later found out DSE steering arms are shorter to help speed the steering up a bit. Mary didn't like the 20:1 and we swapped it out for the 15:1 from my sub before the next event and I gave her the "I told you so"! The DSE IS a new rack, where the 15:1 is a reman and perhaps less reliable. I highly recommend using a filter in the return line from the rack.

I did reach out to Charlie Lillard for advice before my purchase, he ran the AME sub on one of his Camaros and he hated the 15:1 and even considered it dangerous. Switched to the 20:1 This worried me a bit about ordering the 15:1 for my car but I finally decided to give it a shot, the 15:1 is still slower than a stock sub with 12.7 to 1 ratio box. I think it's a step slower than a 12.7:1 box with short pitman and short outer arms on a stock sub.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 11-10-2019 at 03:43 PM.

I got my sub frist, ordered the 15:1 from the start, but still haven't gotten it running.
      Shipka ordered a similar setup for the One Lap Camaro. Worked well.
      Mary then ordered her AME sub and went with their recommendation, which was the DSE 20:1. I later found out DSE steering arms are shorter to help speed the steering up a bit. Mary didn't like the 20:1 and we swapped it out for the 15:1 from my sub before the next event and I gave her the "I told you so"! The DSE IS a new rack, where the 15:1 is a reman and perhaps less reliable. I highly recommend using a filter in the return line from the rack.

I did reach out to Charlie Lillard for advice before my purchase, he ran the AME sub on one of his Camaros and he hated the 15:1 and even considered it dangerous. Switched to the 20:1 This worried me a bit about ordering the 15:1 for my car but I finally decided to give it a shot, the 15:1 is still slower than a stock sub with 12.7 to 1 ratio box. I think it's a step slower than a 12.7:1 box with short pitman and short outer arms on a stock sub.

Good to know and thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with AM about how I can use the LG 1 inch drop uprights. The issue is the steering arms as we discussed. AM isn't going to make them. Perhaps when I find someone who can make the steering arms I can go with the LG drop route and use shorter arms if that can be accomplished at the same time.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

What you want for the LG spindles is the AME arms, but positioned 1" lower since the LG spindle has those bolt holes raised 1".
      Lateral G member Ron in SoCal had a pair of steering arms made for his LG spindles. His project car is Deadpool but I can't find his steering arms in that thread. It's over 50 pages long!
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 11-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.

What about .5" taller lower ball joints and a bump steer kit? Obviously it won't get you the full 1" drop, but you could potentially make that up with half height or no body bushings. This would raise the roll center slightly, but I'm not sure how this would affect overall geometry. I tried plugging it into suspension analyzer, and it seemed like the change would have little impact, but I don't have enough experience to confidently say that.
      1969 Camaro - LS7/T56 - Art Morrison Front Suspension/Ridetech Coilovers
      Instagram: @rbreezee88

I think the first thing to do is remove the body mount bushings. I removed mine on my 67 with AME sub. I think using .5" taller lower ball joints would also help, I'd do both. I don't know how much you would have to move the tie rod end to correct bump steer. I also don't know the effect on roll center movement but I imagine it would move more since you are spreading the ball joints apart .5".

I used the 2001 Corvette model that comes with suspension analyzer. With the lower a-arms flat, a .5" taller lower ball joint brings the roll center up by about .75". Again, not sure how accurate that is.

1969 Camaro - LS7/T56 - Art Morrison Front Suspension/Ridetech Coilovers
      Instagram: @rbreezee88

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com