Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help with 115SH - Global West Spherical leaf bushings

Hi everyone. I've reached out to Doug @ Global West but have yet to get a response so I thought I would post here for help...

I received my spherical leaf spring bushing kit in the mail today. The instructions say "They already have the bearings and retaining sleeves installed" but they don't.

I have attached 2 pictures I took of how I *believe* they go together. The first picture is the rear and the second picture if the larger front.

Can someone please confirm that they go together exactly like that? I just want to be sure before I take them to a shop to be pressed in and welded.

Thanks!!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Wait for Global West to call you back. They will probably send you a new set if they are supposed to come pre-assembled.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      Wait for Global West to call you back. They will probably send you a new set if they are supposed to come pre-assembled.
      Fu*k, I hope not! These were on backorder for 2 months! No way I will wait that long again.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

What’s the problem with assembling them?

Press them in, weld and install the bearings with the snap ring. You got this.

Also, you may want to not weld with those bearings in. I’m sure it’s not in the directions but using a few set-screws driven into the sleeve might be an option for installation.

The problem is not knowing how. The instructions don't mention the sleeve to hold in the rear bearing or the snap ring to hold in the front bearing. So I posted pics to get reassurance that I have them set up the way they are supposed to go before doing it.

Still no word back today from Doug. If you guys think it's right in the pics, I'll send it.

...and yeah, you do NOT weld the bearings in. You only weld the outer ring onto the outer housing per the instructions.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I can’t see the inside but if there is any portion that’s stepped inside the sleeve. My initial thought would press those from the side that faces from inside the car and weld the outside portion.

When you turn in your car, you want the lateral force to be applied in a way which holds the spring to the sleeve and bearing.
      Last edited by F-Body International; 09-03-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: System error had my post repeating multiple times. Edited correct now.

They each do have a step inside that one side of the bearing stops and rests against. Thanks for the advice.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Any updates?

What springs are you installing these on?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Took me a little bit to find a shop with a press and would do welding. Looks like in my area the muffler shops weld but the mechanics and machinists don't like to. Still need to drop things off, maybe today.

They are going into the new Hotchkis springs for my 69 Firebird.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

After the place I had found backing out, getting hung up by another place, and 4 further referrals, I FINALLY found a shop that specializes in leaf springs for race cars that was a decent drive from me but is going to get the job done. Just putting the bushing on the counter the old guy knew it was a Camaro/Firebird front bushing before I even said anything, awesome. Fingers crossed. Seems they make leafs, rebuild them, everything. So glad I found them.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Can you share their information? I'm interested im getting some work done.
      Ahmad B.

A-1 Spring & Supply 661-832-4133 1632 S Union Ave, Bakersfield
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com