Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best c4 Corvette to build for pro touring?

Hello, I have been looking into some of the cheaper c4 Vette's 91-96 and was wondering what year would be a good year to start a build? I've noticed that the manuals are harder to find at a reasonable price the newer they get and the LT4s also seem to be out of the question for my price range. I see allot of autos going cheap in those years but just looking for some input. Hoping to so some suspension, brakes, motor/tranny work, etc. But not sure what year and model would be the best start for the cheaper c4's. Thank you!

The C4 is plenty capable but here are some things to look for.

If you are holding to the 91-96 stick to the 91-95 unless you are getting the lt4 car (Grand Sport). You will just be increasing your price for not much value.

For suspension: If I was looking I would be going for the 91, 6 speed with the option code “Z07”. The spring rate and sway bar setup was pretty good. I just never found the automatic, or the softer suspension much fun. A hollow front bar with adjustable links is a good setup. Make sure the shocks are in good shape and unless absolutely needed don’t worry about the adjustable suspension, not much value. If the bushings are not rotted you will be pretty good with them (Z07 option), if they are put poly in.

Brakes: Good pads are typically all that is needed unless you track the car. If you do, you will fade fairly quick, so rotors or aftermarket brakes may be needed.

Engine/trans: 6 speed. Engine takes the typical bolt ons and outside of the optispark they are pretty bulletproof.

These cars are little go carts if you get the right options, it’s more the maintenance side that matters. And just an FYI, the mechanical side is bullet proof, the interiors are built poorly with cheap materials.

I built a 91 into a track car many years ago. It was a z07 car. Worked pretty well with that setup. I used the ZF 6 speed that came with it and built a hot rod gen 1 sbc with aftermarket efi.

Really you can start with any 88-96 manual as a start point. You would think auto car is a cheaper way to go but those came with Dana 36 instead of 44 from my recollection.

But I wouldn’t worry about what suspension it has and go coil overs. I ran the stock z07 springs with koni yellows but it was a bit soft for the track. Decent street / track compromise I guess if you find a z07 or z51 car you could just change shocks and bushings and have a decent suspension to start with.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

You can find better deals out there if you hold off. And C4racer is correct, any 88 and up will work.

Great thanks guys! So is the 6 speed always the better choice over the auto for pro touring? Thank you

Best c4 Corvette to build for pro touring?

I was assuming a 6spd regardless if you use a ZF or a t56. Both will work btw. If you really want an AT I’m not sure why you want a corvette but that’s just my view. You can swap the Dana 36 for a 44 but that’s a lot of $ and could be hard to find the swap parts. You dont want a 36 if you have 400+ HP. They are rather weak Diffs.

Anyway point being start with a manual car if you can regardless what trans you plan to run. And honestly the ZF that comes in these is a great transmission and I personally would run one in such a build.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Country Flag: United States
      the 96 comes with the 13" brakes , so thats something to think about, and has the OBD2
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by silvermonte View Post
      the 96 comes with the 13" brakes , so thats something to think about, and has the OBD2
      Complete don't care IMHO. I would assume if you are building a PT car out of it he would be using a completely different motor - nothing based on a L98 or a LT1 - either a LSx motor or full hot rod EFI SBC or something. And I would completely throw away the factory wire harness and start over. It's a heavy complicated prone to failure mess. I built from scratch on the C4 race car build I did. And likewise I would not recommend factory C4 brakes - they are barely adequate for a stock C4. I would go Wildwood or adapt C6 ZR1 brakes or StopTech.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Brizzle08 View Post
      Hello, I have been looking into some of the cheaper c4 Vette's 91-96 and was wondering what year would be a good year to start a build? I've noticed that the manuals are harder to find at a reasonable price the newer they get and the LT4s also seem to be out of the question for my price range. I see allot of autos going cheap in those years but just looking for some input. Hoping to so some suspension, brakes, motor/tranny work, etc. But not sure what year and model would be the best start for the cheaper c4's. Thank you!
      I believe the answer depends on your final goal. Do you want a street car that handles nice? Are you trying to win a particular class of racing?

If you aren't trying to build something to a set of rules whatever year the newest/nicest one you can find is the best year.

PS. avoid anything with a digital dash.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com