Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New DD - Saturn Ion Redline

I picked up a new toy. I worked at Saturn during the launch and have a soft spot in my heart for Saturns. This is my new Ion Redline with a supercharged 2.0L LSJ, 5-speed with a ZZP Stage 2 tune, and time lowering springs. It is not perfect, but is a good platform for a fun daily driver. I got lucky and found one with all the good options - 4.05:1 final drive, Ricaro seats, LSD and the competition package. The ZZP stage 2 kit helps it move a bit better than stock.

In the future are a dual pass intercooler, front mount heat exchanger and better shocks and struts. Also, I will be adding a roll bar and 6-point harnesses for use in the Sandhills Open Road Challenge.

It will satisfy my need for speed while I work on my Nova.

I think I will need to try my hand in the CAM-F provisional class.

Name:  Ion Redline.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  74.8 KB

New DD - Saturn Ion Redline

My daily driver has changed a bit in the past 11 months. A few engine modifications, all new brakes and suspension, BBS wheels, Dunlop Direzza tires, a wing and a rollbar are some of the modifications to prepare to compete in the Sandhills Open Road Challenge last week.

I was the only 4-cylinder to compete in a class above 100 mph. Not to shabby for the car I drive to work every day of the year.

I had a Saturn SL2 back in the early 90s...fun little cars.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nice! I am currently working on my Cobalt SS to use as a DD. Mine is the turbo model though. I should have the engine rebuild done tonight and the engine back in over the weekend. Had the car 8 months and havent driven it.. Hoping its as fun as everyone says it will be.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Nice! I am currently working on my Cobalt SS to use as a DD. Mine is the turbo model though. I should have the engine rebuild done tonight and the engine back in over the weekend. Had the car 8 months and havent driven it.. Hoping its as fun as everyone says it will be.
      They are a blast to drive. My son has the turbo motor in his HHR SS. It has more torque and a bit more power. He has a ZZP stage 2 tune.

Good to hear! I cant wait. I went with a slightly bigger turbo than stock and will be doing a tune on it. Should make somewhere around 330 HP and TQ to the wheels. I will be doing some big track days in it like you. Its a lot cheaper to fix then my Evo when something goes wrong....

Good to hear! I cant wait. I went with a slightly bigger turbo than stock and will be doing a tune on it. Should make somewhere around 330 HP and TQ to the wheels. I will be doing some big track days in it like you. Its a lot cheaper to fix then my Evo when something goes wrong....
      I can’t wait to see it.

Here you go Bill. Still a work in progress but its running and driving now. I was meaning to ask you what you are running for springs and shocks? I just ordered the Koni yellows and Powell springs. Hoping that was a good choice. Also, what brake pads? Getting ready for my first big track day in it at the end of this month.

Name:  20200828_170344.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  176.6 KB

Here you go Bill. Still a work in progress but its running and driving now. I was meaning to ask you what you are running for springs and shocks? I just ordered the Koni yellows and Powell springs. Hoping that was a good choice. Also, what brake pads? Getting ready for my first big track day in it at the end of this month.

Name:  20200828_170344.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  176.6 KB
      I’m running Delphi FE5 struts, Bilstein B6 shocks, Powell YYZ springs and Hawk HP+ pads. I cooked my cheap eBay drilled and slotted front rotors until they had hard shots on them and shuttered under hard braking. I now have Stoptech Cryo treated slotted front rotors. I’ve not tested them at high speed, but feel that they will be much better.

Thanks for the info! I have the FE5 struts and shocks at the moment (came on it since its the turbo model) but they have 120k on them and I am pretty sure the fronts are done. For brakes, I went with the factory Brembo pads and Centric blank rotors. Not sure if they are going to be better or worse than the HP+. Did you do the front Brembo upgrade? I dont think they were an option for the Ion. The cool things about the Brembos, at least for me, they use the same pad as my Evos Brembos!

I had some fun at the Tail of the Dragon last month. I also got Little Red on the dyno. 265 whp doesn’t seem like much, but it’s only 2 liters. 6 liters at this output would be 795 whp. So it’s respectable for a daily driver.

The handling is very balanced too. It never tried to push in the corners except a little on hard exits at full throttle. The tail stayed firmly planted.

Name:  IMG_0886.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  137.2 KBName:  IMG_0887.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  155.4 KBName:  IMG_0888.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  135.1 KBName:  IMG_0889.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  122.0 KBName:  IMG_0890.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  129.5 KBName:  Little Red dyno 23Oct2020_0001.jpg
Views: 384