Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Carb is running too rich!

Hey guys, I'm trying to tune a QuickFuel 750 with vacuum secondaries.

I have an O2 sensor and with the previous Edelbrock, I had it idling at 14.7.

I can't for the life of me get anything better than 9.9 with the QuickFuel.

Adjusting the idle mixture screws doesn't do anything, and all the way in doesn't kill the engine. In fact, all the way in is where I get 9.9. if I turn it counter clockwise at all it just gets richer.

The first thing I did was pull the carb and check the transfer slots. The secondary slots were completely covered. The primary slots were something like 1/4" to 5/16" long. So I backed off the idle screw to get a nice little square and adjusted the secondaries to have a nice little square.

Then I checked the jets.

I remember watching a video from Jegs stating that an engine between 350-400 cubic inches should have 64/70 jets for a good starting point.

This thing had 72/82!

Supposedly the guy never ran it, he just put it on the engine and decided to go fuel injection. But I jetted it down to 68/72 because I have a somewhat healthy build.

Now I think I'm at about 2 and a quarter turns out on the idle screws, but it still hovers around 9.9 and smells pig rich.

I have a jet kit but the smallest jets are 64's. I'm probably going to swap those in tonight after work and see if that helps at all.

Any other advice?

I don't know what my vacuum is, I can't find the gauge. I'm going to dig through my stuff and see if I can find it.

Oh yeah, and after idling for maybe 20-30 minutes, when I shut it off, there was like a vapor/mist coming out of the carb. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that's a sign that it's way too rich, lol.
      Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru Turn, some other stuff, awaiting LS1 swap
      71 Duster - all stock, slant 6, automatic. awaiting HEMI/T56 swap

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com