Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

70 Camaro on budget

I retired last year so I'm working off a budget.
      I sold my 1932 3 window coupe a couple of weeks ago and I ended up buying this 1970 Camaro. I spent 3 days detailing it with ceramic coating, detail under the hood and under carriage.

My plan is to change the front suspension to tubular A arms. I'd like to get the front end down a couple of inches.
      I'm looking for some advice on which brand to buy. I've looked at DSE, SpeedTech, Global and Ride Tech. Since I'm in Canada I have to factor in the 40% exchange rate plus the 13% tax we have to pay.

Other plans include painting the wheels back to their factory colour. I think I finally found the paint code for the correct colour. I'll get them blasted, primed and painted this summer.

I wanted to change the big spoiler back to the smaller one but I'd have to deal with the extra hole the old big spoiler will leave. Any suggestions on that?

The first mod is to change the old slush box Turbo 350 to a 4 spd. I have a buddy building a 4 speed for me right now.

Long term plan is an LS, new rear suspension and bigger brakes. It will be a while down the road. I have an LS2 in my 1936 Ford coupe. The power and reliability of the LS motors in incredible. I also have a 2017 C7 that I bought brand new in July 2017. I drive it about once a week. May be time to send it down the road........

Thanks for looking.Name:  MAy 8 Clean.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  281.9 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Love that color. That is a nice looking car right there!!

your plan sounds good, it's a nice car and I'm sure you wouldn't want to touch the paint so I'd keep the bigger spoiler on it for now. I think DSE or speed tech would suit you best, and will leave you with the possibility to use either of their rear suspension options down the road.

It's easy to look towards the brand names....but I would concentrate on the small things up front. You can do well with upgraded bushings on your stock control arms, simple lowering springs, solid body mounts and good shocks.

AFCO makes a nice control rebuild kit. You can do that along with an off set Moog cross shaft to increase adjustability in your stock upper control arm.
      https://www.afcoracing.com/store.asp...-72-Camaro----

For any 67-81 F-Body, I always recommend the first modification you should look at before anything else is solid body mounts. PTFB, DSE or anyone else is good but I would go PTFB for price.
      http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

For your brakes, look at doing the "1LE conversion" for 2nd Gen F-Body. For less than $200, you can upgrade to the the larger 3rd Gen 1LE Road Race rotor and utilize your stock calipers.

For wheels/tires, if you want some street Z-Rated tires super cheap, look for 3rd Gen F-Body wheels. I got a few sets for my car that I paid $80 for (as an example).

Thanks for the great advice. I will look into the links you provided.
      As for the paint, it is near perfect other than a small chip on the drivers door edge. I have no idea what the color code is nor does the previous owner know.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      It's easy to look towards the brand names....but I would concentrate on the small things up front. You can do well with upgraded bushings on your stock control arms, simple lowering springs, solid body mounts and good shocks.

AFCO makes a nice control rebuild kit. You can do that along with an off set Moog cross shaft to increase adjustability in your stock upper control arm.
      https://www.afcoracing.com/store.asp...-72-Camaro----

For any 67-81 F-Body, I always recommend the first modification you should look at before anything else is solid body mounts. PTFB, DSE or anyone else is good but I would go PTFB for price.
      http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

For your brakes, look at doing the "1LE conversion" for 2nd Gen F-Body. For less than $200, you can upgrade to the the larger 3rd Gen 1LE Road Race rotor and utilize your stock calipers.

For wheels/tires, if you want some street Z-Rated tires super cheap, look for 3rd Gen F-Body wheels. I got a few sets for my car that I paid $80 for (as an example).

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com