Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Turning engine over by hand question

FYI i posted this in the LTX section but there’s not as much traction and this issue is related somewhat to both gens.

I have this concern floating around in the back of my mind about my L86 motor. I inspected the valve train and bottom end to the best of my abilities while I had the valve covers and oil pan off. When I go to turn the motor over by hand with a ratchet wrench there is one area in each revolution that is a little easier to turn than the rest of the turns. This was done with the plugs out and on a motor stand by the way. I'm getting closer to starting the motor for the first time and I wanted to get some thoughts on this. I personally just thought it was the DOD lifters and nothing major because the motor only has 3500 miles and had no know issues prior to being pulled out for my swap. Would the DOD lifters make it feel a little strange/easier to turn the motor by hand if they have no oil pressure going to them?

Country Flag: United States
      Were you turning the engine over with the rockers removed, or at least loosen up?
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

No they were all on, never touched from factory. This was going to be the next step to eliminate the lifters from the equation but haven’t get there yet.

Country Flag: United States
      If the engine really only has 3500 miles on it, I suspect there are no issues.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Interesting, seems like if the engine were in DOD mode you'd be able to see that in the rockers on certain cylinders.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com