Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by TanMan View Post
      Interesting that you mention spacers. Are those a bit unsafe, or can they be done properly? I would guess longer, stronger studs would be a must.
      Probably going to need longer studs anyway. Spacers are fine if you don't go very thick (1/4" to 5/16" is fine). Much thicker than that, then you need the ones that are concentric and have their own stud pattern built in.

Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Don't know how far along you are with your wheel choice, I'm using American racing 17x9 with 245-45-17 fronts and 275-40-17 rears on my 77 Buick Regal with no clearance issues.

Nice, that is exactly the wheel size and tire sizes I had settled on.

Limited by making the ‘70 Grand Prix appear stock-ish by purchasing aluminum Rally II 17x9 wheels, I found the sizes you mentioned to be the widest I could get away with. FYI, I couldn’t find the Rally II style wheel any wider or larger than 17x9.

Has anyone squeezed a wider tire than 245 on the front of an A-body without extra/custom wheel backspacing? Same question on the rear with 275 width...

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Well as an owner of a big Pontiac that still weighs 3960 with an LS7, don't let that stop you. You don't have to go completely overboard spending money to upgrade your car to have a ton of fun. Smart investments in good quality suspension such as Global West, adjustable shocks, 17" or 18" wheels and a 200 treadwear tire will get you pretty far. You already have either a 400 or 455 in the GP so that's handled. Spend wisely and go have fun.Attachment 166822
      What a sick build! Love everything about it!

Ain’t nothing wrong with being different. Have fun with the build!

Nice, that is exactly the wheel size and tire sizes I had settled on.

Limited by making the ‘70 Grand Prix appear stock-ish by purchasing aluminum Rally II 17x9 wheels, I found the sizes you mentioned to be the widest I could get away with. FYI, I couldn’t find the Rally II style wheel any wider or larger than 17x9.

Has anyone squeezed a wider tire than 245 on the front of an A-body without extra/custom wheel backspacing? Same question on the rear with 275 width...
      I run 255/45r17's on the front and P285/40r17's rear of a 70 GTO and they fit fine, touch the front swaybar a little but it's a big bar. Year One Rally 2 17x8/9.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I'm running the US Mags Rally II look-a-likes with the PMD centers, pics are in the link in my sig.

On my 69 Firebird I went with 17x8 front (4.500 backspacing), 17x9 rear (5.250" backspacing). 235/45/17 front, 255/50/17 rear. I was playing it safe. I test fit the rears w/tires on the front and I could have rocked that. I do have Hotchkis upper and lower a-arms and a 1/4" spacer with my Wilwood front brakes so maybe that makes the difference. I test fit the rear without the spacer I think. When my new tires wear out, I'll buy a set of 17x9s for the front and sell the 17x8s.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Love this thread, always good to see a Pontiac build! I'm saving for parts to do my '70 Formula, hoping to go UMI, with aluminium headed stroker, rebuilt TH400 and Year One Rallye IIs. I'm in England, so EVERYTHING is expensive, including gas! A poor $/£ exchange rate and killer import fees are hurting things right now. But I will get there. I did consider starting with a lighter car, but like you said, love the car, can't part with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      I run 255/45r17's on the front and P285/40r17's rear of a 70 GTO and they fit fine, touch the front swaybar a little but it's a big bar. Year One Rally 2 17x8/9.
      Ok, great to hear we can squeeze a 255/45r17 on the front. I just may do a 255/40r17 on the front (a tad shorter) just to maximize tread width. I have the Year One Rally II 17x9s as well- just haven’t mounted anything yet.

My dad and I built 2 ‘70 GTOs back in the ‘90s, what I wouldn’t give to still have one of those beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I'm running the US Mags Rally II look-a-likes with the PMD centers, pics are in the link in my sig.

On my 69 Firebird I went with 17x8 front (4.500 backspacing), 17x9 rear (5.250" backspacing). 235/45/17 front, 255/50/17 rear. I was playing it safe. I test fit the rears w/tires on the front and I could have rocked that. I do have Hotchkis upper and lower a-arms and a 1/4" spacer with my Wilwood front brakes so maybe that makes the difference. I test fit the rear without the spacer I think. When my new tires wear out, I'll buy a set of 17x9s for the front and sell the 17x8s.
      Love the Firebird- I’m a sucker for all classic Pontiacs. So with a 1/4” spacer, the 255/50r17 fit up front? Sounds like a tall and wide tire, I was considering the same except maybe a 40 series.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      Ain’t nothing wrong with being different. Have fun with the build!
      Name:  IMG_5940.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  808.7 KB Different, you say? Yep, there’s nothing quite like this one..

Quote Originally Posted by 7T400Formula View Post
      Love this thread, always good to see a Pontiac build! I'm saving for parts to do my '70 Formula, hoping to go UMI, with aluminium headed stroker, rebuilt TH400 and Year One Rallye IIs. I'm in England, so EVERYTHING is expensive, including gas! A poor $/£ exchange rate and killer import fees are hurting things right now. But I will get there. I did consider starting with a lighter car, but like you said, love the car, can't part with it!
      Glad to hear there’s muscle car interest across the pond. I too, love the Pontiacs. The aluminum headed stroker- you talking about a 400 block to start with? I have a ton of parts you might be interested in, too bad you are like 5,000 miles away..

Different, you say? Yep, there’s nothing quite like this one..
      Epic badass look with fat tires
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I keep thinking about building a 70-72 Monte Carlo with either a big block or a 400+ in small block as a highway bruiser.

Lower it 2” - needs probably 255/285 tires

AC. Modern seats. Kick ass stereo.

Would love to have that in the weekend road trip rotation. I think the wife would like it. That’s one of those things you just don’t know until you try it right ?
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I highly recommend it. The Monte Carlo is the Grand Prix’s cousin, so much in common. I have a ton of parts for these cars if you ever get around to it.

Love the Firebird- I’m a sucker for all classic Pontiacs. So with a 1/4” spacer, the 255/50r17 fit up front? Sounds like a tall and wide tire, I was considering the same except maybe a 40 series.
      I test fit without the spacer, it would not have cleared the fender lip with the spacer.

I only went with the taller sidewall for a little comfort and I like the look.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Yeah One Rally's only have a 5" backspace (whereas the US Mags are 5.25"). If anything you might be tight to the outside fender (front and rear). Be sure to mount the rims once you have the new brakes on, and measure carefully to decide on final tire width.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I highly recommend it. The Monte Carlo is the Grand Prix’s cousin, so much in common. I have a ton of parts for these cars if you ever get around to it.
      I prefer the 66-67 chevelle or lemans body style but the Monte can be found for half the price as a starting point. Which leaves a lot more $ for the good stuff you know ?
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Hey TanMan - have you progressed anymore on this build at all?

Love that body style. I still remember being 5 years old and with my mom picking up a 70 (1973 or so) and sitting on the passenger door sill looking over the roof at her talking to the salesman. It was a pale yellow with tan interior. I remember it being a SJ. Great car, ride great and decent power. By 1980 the tin worm had did its job.��. I always liked the GP door handles.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com