Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

67 Mustang track car and future wheel to wheel race car

Introducing the AutoXandTrack 1967 road race Mustang! I purchased this car as a turn key track car about a year ago. Previous owner used it for time trials racing with NASA. I've been wanted a dedicated track car for a while. Primarily for two reasons. First, better safety than the traditional AutoXandTrack pro touring Camaro. Second, a smaller investment that doesn't have a high quality paint job would let me push a little harder on track and learn to be a better track driver.

In this thread I want to track my progress with this Mustang. I'm also trying something a little different in focusing more on video rather than pictures. First video was a learning curve for sure and I think the second video will be a more entertaining watch. Feedback welcome. I already know I need a better mix of action and talking as well as to pay closer attention to balancing the sound.

Since the Mustang broke on it's first outing (Found On Road Dead...), I've decided to rebuild the motor. There are also a number of safety upgrades to make this legal for wheel to wheel. Finally, once I benchmark the car I'm considering a pro touring suspension swap to upgrade the old school road race / dirt track style setup on it.

Here is the car. It's already stripped, caged and flared. It was supposed to be turn key... (If you want to check out the full specs you can click the first hyperlink above)

Once it broke a rocker arm I decided to rebuild the motor. The first video in this series is assembling the short block into a complete engine, ready to install. In this video and the next couple I'm going to reveal the many mistakes i made not having wrenched this much in a while and being a lot more familiar with GM V8's.

Future updates will include getting the engine in the car, trying to get it started. Yes, "trying." As well as working out the gremlins, of which there are many, so that I can take it to my first event. I'm going to aim for an autocross as a shakedown and then a track day.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

It’s Motor Monday so here is the 408w install and first start in the AutoXandTrack Mustang!

I think this video came out a lot better than the first one. Let me know what you guys think.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

I'm tying to get some break in miles on the engine and clutch so I drove my "Racecar" Mustang to work today. It's nice having a license plate

I'm also testing to see if my fix on an oil pan leak worked. As well as I had to change out the water temp gauge. Guessing one of my friends got overzealous with the mechanical line during engine removal as it didn't work when I got the car running again. But it could of also been a coincidence. Getting the sending unit snaked through the firewall with all of the wiring in place wasn't easy!

Happy to see that the temps generally stayed between 170-180* (has a 180* thermostat in it). In two spots where I had to wait through multiple signal lights at the same light due to traffic it climbed as high as 195* Oil temps stayed between 180-200* But it was a nice relatively cool and sunny SoCal morning. This weekend at the autocross will be a better test assuming the car is ready. I got a whiff on tranny fluid twice on the drive so I'm guessing I have to trouble shoot a tranny leak now too.

The work is never done. That is part of the hobby.

Looks like a fun little Mustang.

How do you like that Restomod shifter re-locator? I was eye balling those 10 years ago when they were sold and actually just found one and installed it in my 66. Haven't driven it yet though. Good looking car...

Quote Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
      The work is never done. That is part of the hobby.

Looks like a fun little Mustang.
      You got that right. Not my favorite part either lol. Inspected the car a little while ago. Or should I say the ground under the car. Looks like my efforts to fix the oil leak were unsuccessful and now I can confirm I have a transmission leak that is worse than the oil leak! Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by anangryford View Post
      How do you like that Restomod shifter re-locator? I was eye balling those 10 years ago when they were sold and actually just found one and installed it in my 66. Haven't driven it yet though. Good looking car...
      First time I drove it, I didn't care for it as it didn't give me good confidence in being able to shift quickly. But on my way into work today I realized I don't think twice about it anymore and it works well. I think it was more a matter of getting used to the car. So, for the street they work well. Next test will be how it works at the track.

Made some more progress on the Mustang last week. Besides moving under it's own power as shown in the pic above. I took it to it's first event! Finally made it to an autocross to shake it down and it was a success! If you measure success by the long list of problems identified and having the roll cage / 3rd link mounts fail...

But I did have some fun running the car around the cones before it broke. I think this video is my best one yet. Some autocross action, some carnage and a walk around of the car.

The current to do list has certainly grown:

Have cage repaired or redone
      Have transmission refreshed
      Replace clutch cable
      Have rear end refreshed and put in a true trac
      Fix the engine running rough at any steady state RPM and find ignition short
      Replace oil accumulator lines

There is a lot more but those are the most urgent.

Oh and I did find out how much the car weighed. It's a fat pig!

For those not into the video. My friend Arlo who does automotive photography for fun shot a few pics of the road race Mustang trying it's hand at autocross a week ago.

I like how Rob was giving you a hard time about owning a Ford this weekend. Was pretty funny. I like it though!

1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Looks like a serious track beast!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I like how Rob was giving you a hard time about owning a Ford this weekend. Was pretty funny. I like it though!
      Ha ha yeah that was good. That will make an appearance in my next YouTube video.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Looks like a serious track beast!
      Thats what it was supposed to be. It's also a serious project lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      ... It's also a serious project lol.
      Boy those words ring true. The "winter" project has kicked off with some major work on the Mustang. Kicking things off is a complete suspension overhaul. I'm installing the full TCI Engineering front and rear suspension on the car. The rear torque arm will eliminate the weak link (ha ha) 3rd link issues and the TCI front IFS will improve the geometry while giving more room to run 315's.

I wrote a quick blog post on it. 1967 Road Race Mustang v2.0

A few progress pics.

Name:  1967-Mustang-one-shock-tower-removed-1024x768.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  156.4 KB

Country Flag: Netherlands
      nice car Chad, I like the videos!
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

Nothing to see here...

Man, pro-touring is a small world, huh?! I stumbled on your Youtube, Instagram and now here on this forum in a matter of 4 days!

Looking forward to watching more of this!

Brad
      Follow me on Instagram and YouTube

Oh man Chad, you've drunk a heavy dose of the LS coolaid and now all the Ford boiz are gonna be triggered. haha
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Finally catching up on the build with my YouTube channel. Here is the tear down of the Mustang to get it ready for the TCI Engineering Mustang IFS and Torque arm suspension install.

Another update on the AutoXandTrack Mustang Build!

In this episode we remove the shock towers and show the massive levels of reinforcement that the previous builder did to get this setup for road racing. I felt a little guilty cutting it out. And a little annoyed with how much more work it was to cut out.

I saw that shifter relocator and was wondering if it had a sequential box in it.
      And, Yay! another Youtube channel to follow. lol

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      I saw that shifter relocator and was wondering if it had a sequential box in it.
      And, Yay! another Youtube channel to follow. lol

Jay
      Hi Jay,

Thanks for the follow! The transmission is a T3550 5 speed. Sadly neither a sequential or a dog box. You can read all the specs on the car here: Road Race 67 Mustang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com