Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States

Looking for someone with a distributor machine- Oakland County MI region

Involved in vintage racing old MG sports cars. Rules require we use a distributor, not a crank trigger. There is one guy in the MG community that rebuilds Lucas distributors, but keeps the advance curves close to the vest. He hates anything electronic, doesn't recommend anything but points. I'm paying for the rebuilds and the recurves, but I want to try FI on one of the cars, with the ECU controlling advance (not one of the race cars.)

This is a long road to get to the question- I live in NE Oakland county MI. Looking for someone with a distributor machine who I can take the distributors to and get help plotting the advance curve to enter it in the timing table for the ECU. Anyone know someone?

Thanks in advance (pun not intended)

greg fast
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Country Flag: Canada
      I wish I could “ point “!you in the right direction

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Want to bump this to see if there is any other feedback
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Ok so if you must use a distributor are you going to use it to feed 4 signals or a #1 index signal? Because a simple shutter wheel and sensor at crank would fire the FI, if you WANT sequential then you need a cam sync.

As for computer control, the distributor must be locked out and let computer fire a specific coil. My two favorites are GM TBI or ford TFI coil then just use distributor to spread the power.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Vintage race car. No crank triggers, no FI. Running to the 1972 SCCA Production Car Specifications. SU or Weber DCOE carb. Electronic triggers replacing points permitted, but spark delivery must be thru the distributor.

And I no longer need someone with a distributor machine in MI, I need someone with a distributor machine in Chelan Co WA . I'm moving to the Pacific Northwest, back to my ancestral homeland, the woods in the Cascades.
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Buy a dial-back timing light and check yourself. Then get a vacuum pump loaner tool from Autozone or Advanced auto, so you can apply vacuum to the canister and check that.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Actually a pretty good idea. I'll give it a try when I get tools and parts unloaded
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com