Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 Mustang Coupe

Name:  DSC_6451.jpeg
Views: 10481
Size:  93.7 KB
      1968 Mustang Coupe - $24,900

I am selling my one of a kind 68 Mustang with a heavily modified driveline and suspension. The engine is a 351W stroked to 393ci by Hushmouth Racing in North Carolina using heads by RHS (Racing Head Service), a Quickfuel double pumper carb, and an MSD ignition system. It’s got an aluminum radiator with an electric fan and the transmission is a World Class Tremec 5 speed hooked to a Centerforce clutch.

The rear end is an 8” Ford with 3.50 gears. Together with the overdrive 5th gear in the transmission, this car is ready to both smoke ‘em on the strip and cruise 75 MPH @ 2000 RPM on the highway. The exhaust system is less than 2 years old and there is a bung in the header for tuning and dyno pulls if that’s your thing.

The suspension work included replacing both the upper and lower control arms, ball joints, idler arms, Pitman arm, tie rod ends, sway bar links, rear leaf springs, drop coil springs in the front, and lowering blocks with air shocks in the rear.

In addition to all that, it has 4 wheel disc brakes (Wilwood in front), quality subframe connectors, and staggered American Racing wheels. The wheel sizes are 18x9.5 (rear) and 17x8 (front). Sorry, I don’t know the offsets. There are spacers on the wheels all around. A brand new battery is quite tidily installed in the trunk. Also new, the steering box, the hood hinge mount points, and the driver door hinges.

The interior has been nicely refreshed. Modern racing seats and rails made the seated position too high in this old Mustang, so I bought a set of new seat pans and had them cut down 2” and professionally installed in place of the stock seat pans. On the inside this car has new ProCar seats, 4 point harness, new carpet, and all new dash plastic, visors, and more. It also has a brand new quality Ford Carlite tinted windshield, professionally installed. The car has Auto-Lite gauges custom installed in a new dash panel. There are also new door panels, sill plates, armrests, and new window regulators for the driver door and (not installed) both rear windows.

The exterior is period correct Bora Red. It looks good from a few steps back, but it’s not a show car quality paint job. On the plus side, there is minimal rust apparent on the outside. You will notice there’s a hole in the carbon fiber wrapped stock turn-signal hood. I did that to allow for a proper air cleaner that the stroker engine deserved. If you’re going to drive it in the rain, you’ll want a hood scoop. Personally, I like watching that air cleaner shake at stop lights.

I have owned this car a bit over 2 years and mostly drove it to work on Fridays and to local car shows on weekends. It’s loud and it’s fast and it gets a lot of attention. I have enjoyed this car and want the next owner to enjoy is as well. That’s why in the next paragraphs I’ll list the not-so-great things about this car.

What’s not to like? Well, there’s no A/C (duh?) and there’s also no heat, although that isn’t a problem after that stroker engine warms up. The heater core and fan motor are present, but not plumbed/wired up. The heat and duct controls are present, but tucked up inside the dash. There’s no radio. The speedometer reads 20% fast and the gas gauge reads 50% low. Those were on my to-do list, but never got done.

What else? Well, this car is definitely not for the weary. That lowered front suspension and those fat front tires together with the manual steering rack make this thing a bear to navigate in and out of parking spots. This car is best on smooth roads. You’ll hate speed bumps and dips, but if you’re careful and patient you can take it anywhere. The front tires do rub in sharp turns. I’ve lived with it for 2 years, you can too. If I was going to do anything else to this car, I would install power steering. That would take the grunt out of parking lots and make life easier all around.

Name:  DSC_6464.jpeg
Views: 3793
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  DSC_6457.jpeg
Views: 2244
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  DSC_6479.jpeg
Views: 2041
Size:  153.7 KB

Name:  DSC_6488.jpeg
Views: 2048
Size:  133.9 KB

Those and more here - http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/v/2.../mustang_last/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com