Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black, Black Metallic, or Atlas Grey

Trying to decide on paint color and have narrowed it down to these 3 colors. Interested in hearing from the peanut gallery on their thoughts... '67 RS Camaro, will have Anvil Carbon front and rear spoilers, black wheels, red brake calipers and then red anodized accents through the engine bay and interior, just to provide some thoughts on other colors playing into the car.

If people are wondering what Atlas Grey looks like-
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This is the black metallic I am looking at.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      SPI black single stage.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

As much as I personally love gloss black on many vehicles, I'd vote for the grey you picked. Grey's are the in color lately, I'm even staining fiberglass entrance doors at work grey tones this year. The dark greys have some of the appeal of black & would go good with the cf parts & other pro-touring things you'll likely have going on. I don't see it looking outdated 10 years from now either.

Similar colors on new camaros & vettes.
      https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411226

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536785
      I personally think the metallic black wouldn't look the best for you.
      Gloss black for a 67 would be a more classic look with fully stock body or a good choice with some extra smoothing out & widening.
      That's my peanuts...….

My .02 with a bunch of carbon fiber stuff the grey metallic would be sharp. Have your paint guy spray a couple pieces of sheet metal with the gray and compare it to the carbon fiber out in the sun.

I like the Atlas Gray. As others said, it'll contrast well with the carbon fiber. I've heard black is the most challenging because the bodywork has to be 100% or it'll show the most minute flaw.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I too have a 67 Camaro and am leaning towards black. But the Lexus Atomic Silver is a close second right now. Check it out.

How 'bout Avalanche Gray. '17 Raptor color. And no, I'm not biased.

I am not feeling the love for that Atlas Grey. Thought it was the pic so googled it and all the pics look similar.

Black is the new black....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Nothing better then a black car, that is, an arrow straight, squeaky clean black car. It'll always be in style but a total pain to keep clean. Another thing is that dirty wheel wells, tires, engine compartment, etc. will detract from your nice clean paint so it's a huge commitment, especially if you want it to be a driver. I think just about any color can be awesome as long as the details are done right. It's almost as if the sin of paint color can be overlooked when EVERYTHING else on the car is done to the 9's. I'm not referring to the price of components so much as the quality of the build.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

I feel like this group is as divided as I am right now haha.

That's why it's called opinions. I gave one based more on current trends towards what I'm guessing you may want rather than my personal tastes (Black vehicles at home). Will be making a personal choice color change though. Going from GM black to SPI Black/black.
      The one strong opinion I have is against the metallic black.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      That's why it's called opinions. I gave one based more on current trends towards what I'm guessing you may want rather than my personal tastes (Black vehicles at home). Will be making a personal choice color change though. Going from GM black to SPI Black/black.
      The one strong opinion I have is against the metallic black.
      Totally get it. Actually, my current daily driver and my last 4 cars and boat have all been black. Kinda have a love hate relationship with it at the moment, as it truly is a pain to keep it clean and swirls tend to show a little easier. When I started out on building this car, the intention was to go black and keep a very clean/ simple look. Have been having some last minute/ second guessing of myself that made me wonder if I did want to go black with this car too. I guess, once you go black, you don’t go back? Haha

Any shiny paint is going to need great body work underneath. The grey is going to be just as tough to keep clean as black. I just like the slight contrast of the gray and carbon fiber.
      Can't go wrong with either.

I have decided to go with the Atlas Grey. Been going back and forth all weekend and finally decided on it. Should be heading to paint later this week.

Good choice, anything, anything but black, what a PIA color to take care of, you'd be a slave to your car.

Mike
      86 Buick GN, Stage 2 V6, Twin EFR Turbos

Again just my.02 but pick a "stock" late model gray color so when you get that first bummer of a rock chip it can be more easily repaired and repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Again just my.02 but pick a "stock" late model gray color so when you get that first bummer of a rock chip it can be more easily repaired and repainted.
      That Atlas Grey is a modern color for Porsche made by PPG. Should be okay there.

A dark metallic sort of grey in the right lighting (or lack of it) really does have a similar appealing look as black does. Pic is a gm camaro grey bumper with a hint of flat black primer in center & sides below a gm black hood. In slightly darker lighting, the grey passes for black. Pretty damn close to the atlas grey.
      Name:  20170212_160848 (1).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  290.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com