Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Roof skin question 68-72 A-body

The 72 A-body I am working on right now has ripples on both the drivers side, and passengers side. The location is about 8-10" inboard from the drip rail on both sides. It appears as if someone had placed something significant on the roof of the car at some point in the past. The ripples are hard to see, but are clearly noted when running your hand over the area. They are right on the edge of where the under-roof support structure is and as a result access to the back side is limited. Is it advisable to just replace the roof skin, or is it worth trying to hammer/dolly them out? The pinch weld for the windshield is all rotted and will need to be replaced, as well as a few very minor areas that will need some attention from rust damage, further adding to the repair. I haven't done a roof skin before, but I have a significant amount of experience with sheet metal work and all that comes with it typically. Also, one last thing. As I am not a fan (at all) of the drip rail on these cars, I do intend to remove the drip rail all together. That should add a factor of simplification to this, in the event I do a whole roof skin. Any opinions?.Name:  IMG_20190807_154203818.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  70.3 KBName:  IMG_20190807_153917074.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  56.7 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Well to no avail, I was able to really smooth out a few of the ripples. However, when considering that amount of other damage to the roof I just went and bought a roof skin from OPGI. I am going to just put that on, there is too much damage to put all the time into fixing. I will post pictures as I go.

On a separate note this site sure seems like it has dried up something fierce.

Country Flag: Canada
      I'm sorry .. I did mean to respond to this . Either way you did what I would have .. and would have suggested. Cant wait to see how it comes out. Also a good time to add some sound deadening between the skin and roof braces
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com