Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Braking issues

Country Flag: United States

Braking issues

I have a 70 Camaro with Wilwood brakes. 6 piston on front and 4 on rear. Small chrome booster/master cylinder was used due to clearance issues. Running a 502. I have driven car about 1,000 miles since completing it. Had a sudden stop situation this weekend and figured out brakes will not stop car. Car slows down and stops under normal conditions, if I jam o. The brakes it slows down gradually instead of locking. Master was bled when installed and system was bled. Scary stuff! Any ideas on what to look at first before I rip it apart and buy hydra stop? See lots of guys running manual brakes and talking pedal ratios, honest I'm lost on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorydays70 View Post
      I have a 70 Camaro with Wilwood brakes. 6 piston on front and 4 on rear. Small chrome booster/master cylinder was used due to clearance issues. Running a 502. I have driven car about 1,000 miles since completing it. Had a sudden stop situation this weekend and figured out brakes will not stop car. Car slows down and stops under normal conditions, if I jam o. The brakes it slows down gradually instead of locking. Master was bled when installed and system was bled. Scary stuff! Any ideas on what to look at first before I rip it apart and buy hydra stop? See lots of guys running manual brakes and talking pedal ratios, honest I'm lost on that.
      The first step would be to figure out if your engine is making enough vacuum to make the booster functional. The second is to look at the MC bore size.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The first step would be to figure out if your engine is making enough vacuum to make the booster functional. The second is to look at the MC bore size.

Andrew
      I backtracked part numbers on invoices, checked part number to manufacture. Master cylinder is 1 1/8" bore....it was supposed to be 1". Guess that's my issue.

My pads do that cold...
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

1/8" bigger on the MC bore will make a big difference in pedal effort (much more effort required on the bigger bore). Though when you go down to a 1", I think you'll notice significantly more pedal travel though.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by Glorydays70 View Post
      I backtracked part numbers on invoices, checked part number to manufacture. Master cylinder is 1 1/8" bore....it was supposed to be 1". Guess that's my issue.
      I wouldn't go all that far and say "that's the culprit", 1-1/8" will probably work just fine when it's properly bled, good vacuum and bed-in pads.

Do you have vacuum assist for one or two strokes after you shut the engine off from an idle?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

What's the vacuum at idle? I think it takes 12-14 minimum, if you are below that you may to do something different for the booster or go to manual.

My motor makes under 10 - rather choppy idle. But I'm running a manual set-up.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com