Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Speedtech Pro Touring subframe issue

Hello all,

Let me start with what I had and then what I am running into.

1969 Camaro

Stock subframe with Speedtech Chicane coilover mounts (the upper control arm mounts are actually from the DSE coilover conversion that was done years ago). Varishocks coilovers. Global West upper and lower control arms. ATS AFX tall spindles. Unisteer rack and pinion. Speedtech engine frame stands and Speedtech LS adapter plates.
      6.0 LS with Trailblazer SS intake manifold. Holley 302-2 oil pan. Lakewood bellhousing. TKO600. Everything fit. I decided to put 275's all the way around and found the subframe to be limiting me a bit. Decided to go with the complete Speedtech subframe and suspension package. Installed the subframe and suspension this weekend. Measured what seems like a hundred times to make sure the subframe was installed square to the car. Installed the engine/trans. Everything is going great until I notice how far forward the engine is sitting. I'm guessing it's close to 2 inches farther forward. The adapter plates are installed correctly and switching them from side to side would make the problem worse. I knew there would be differences to adjust for but I'm bewildered why the engine is so far forward. The back of the passenger side head is nearly 2.75" from the firewall!! I saw a recent post by AAQUINO11 about the same thing but no follow up to his issue. My main issues are; #1 my steering shaft no longer clears my headers (OK. not too surprised), #2 My ceramic coated exhaust is 2" too short (totally shocked about this one), #3 My shifter is up against the front of the cutout on the tunnel ( Not hard to make do). There are a couple of other issues but besides changing out the oil pan are easy to deal with. Looking at the pictures, I'm wondering if I got the correct upper control arms. Aren't the high clearance arms supposed to have a bend in the front tube?

Any ideas anyone might have would be appreciated. I'll have to get ahold of Speedtech later this week when I have some time away from work.

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images          
      Matt H.

Could you get some Dirty Dingo slider motor mounts and move it back?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I could do that. I am going to wait until I can talk to Speedtech before I buy anything else. I've been out in the garage looking and measuring trying to determine if I did something wrong with the install. My wife just helped me hang a fender and the front of the control arm just touches the inner fender. An alignment will most likely solve that but I still can't believe this was engineered this way. $5k for it and I shouldn't have to buy sliding motor mounts from a different company. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking. I own a bunch of different Speedtech parts and have never had an issue.

Matt
      Matt H.

Kevin used that same subframe with an LSA. The engine was so far forward that there was very little room for a fan. Pretty sure what you have is normal with that subframe.

Minor trimming of the inner fenders is common with aftermarket subframes.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

We have some new adapter plates that give more rearward adjustment, in stock
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Blake,

Thanks for letting me know. Is it the plate that mounts to the engine? How much further rearward will it put the engine?

And out of curiosity, why was this designed with the engine so far forward? I'm guessing it has something to do with larger transmissions.
      Matt H.

Any chance you inadvertently put the motor plates for the motor mounts on the wrong side of the engine?

EDIT: I see Blake replied. If them being on the wrong side was the issue I'm guessing he would of pointed that out.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

I actually had the same plates and mounts on the engine before swapping the subframe. I never removed them from the engine. With the Speedtech frame stands mounted to the stock subframe the engine position was absolutely perfect. I just spoke to Chadwick at Speedtech and have their other style of engine plates coming. These will move the engine back. I will find out how much as soon as they are in my hands!!

I may be having some issues as I put this together but the Speedtech team are always helpful and I truly appreciate it.
      Matt H.

Update time!

First off let me thank Chadwick at Speedtech for getting these new mounts out to me by the weekend.

I received the new engine plates on Saturday. Here are some pics of the differences. As you can see, there are three positions you can use. I used the furthest forward position and it is PERFECT! With these mounts and their Pro-Touring subframe there is plenty of room around the engine and transmission. It is more level and sits lower than in the stock sub. The Holley 302-2 oil pan fits. I can put my hand between the TKO and the tunnel pretty much anywhere. I can reuse my headers. The steering shaft has more room than before. The tires (275/40/18) don't even come close to touching the subframe. I have more pics and can take a specific one for anyone if you need.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Matt H.

Country Flag: Canada
      Hey Matt, Glad these worked! Looks like im going to have to order a set tomorrow morning. My Ultimate headers are just about touching my steering shaft as well as my drive shaft is too short now!

Thanks for posting this as I had never resolved my issue. Hope its not too hard to install with my car all put back together

Some pics of the clearance with engine installed. There is just over an inch of space between the head and firewall on the passenger side. Just over 2 inches on the driver side. Plenty of room behind the manifold. Name:  camaro 1.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  203.3 KBName:  camaro 2.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  112.8 KBName:  camaro 3.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  126.1 KBName:  camaro 4.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  172.6 KB
      Matt H.

Country Flag: Canada
      Ordered a set of these for my 69 Camaro after the engine and all was installed. These cured all my problems. Plenty clearance for intake tube (used to hit Radiator), Steering shaft has plenty clearance between header now, engine sits further back, motor mounts now mount upside down from before and have plenty of clearance on header tube which it did not before (had to grind some of it away). Very pleased.

TIP: When buying new subframe ensure to buy all parts to go along from the same manufacture to ensure proper fit.

Now that I got my front intake tube totally shortened and powdercoated I read this thread. Im beyond annoyed with Speedtech right now! Not only that but my tranny crossmember clearance for exhaust leaves a lot to be desired. How do you design something like this that leaves this much space between the engine and firewall?

Wondering if you are using the offset engine stands? Drivers side stand being 3/4” longer than passenger stand
      1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com