Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Going from C7 Z06 to pro tour camaro?

Hello,
      Has anyone went from a new high hp car to building a pro tour car?? I am thinking about selling my C7 Z06 to fund the build on my 68.

No matter how much money you spend on your 68 it will never be the car your Z06 is imho. It might be more unique and look cooler but that’s about it imho. These cars are pretty raw in comparison to modern muscle cars.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      No matter how much money you spend on your 68 it will never be the car your Z06 is imho. It might be more unique and look cooler but that’s about it imho. These cars are pretty raw in comparison to modern muscle cars.

Don
      Yea...A Pro-Tour car is enjoying your classic styling with modern performance. To have a car that's comparable to luxury and handling of a modern vehicle especially a C7, will easily be six figures + and never really match it. I always giggle when these new cars are just spectacular and someone chimes in and says "my 66 Mustang will blow its doors off"...If it was an even trade today...I would take a C7 over my 70 Camaro. One of the reasons I started this camaro addiction is because I couldn't afford a modern muscle car. The corvettes from the factory dominate in the performance department.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
      Yep.

That said, I like my car better than just about anything new on the market today of similar value.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

It would be fun to have a Z06 for sure,
      but I’d walk right past a newer corvette in a parking lot without a second look, it’s just a nice new car that I see 5 or 10 a day.
      I may slow down to look at a nice Ferrari,
      But almost any nice 60s-70s pro tour muscle car would stop me for sure.
      That’s why I have Z06 equivalent money in my 50yr old muscle car.

If that’s not you, maybe keep the store bought car.

I agree with all that has been said already. I would add that if you enjoy and get satisfaction out of doing your own work the Pro-Touring 68 has it all over the factory Z06.

Putting all the thought and effort into a car that you build yourself has a gratifying aspect that can never be found in just purchasing a vehicle. It IS your car, with your imagination, combination and of course sweat and blood, an extension of you. I fully respect the groups of designers, engineers and assembly people who make factory cars so F'in good these days, but it will never really be your car.

Just my 2 cents.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I sold my M6 coupe about 6 months ago...

No, nothing else I've ever had drives like that car did. It was just overkill for a daily driver and too delicate to be left sitting.

I was thinking about this thread while cruising around in my Camaro today. Back when I started building the car I owned a 2011 CTS-V. That car was the best car I ever owned. I loved it and decided to put as many elements of it in my 69 as I could to try to emulate it a little. LSA, 6L90E, IRS, good JRI shocks and C6 control arms with stock bushings, CV driveshaft, Recaro seats, extensive sound deadening and insulation and a few other things I can’t recall at this moment. The car is the most comfortable, best riding and handling first gen I have owned by far but it is no CTS-V by a long stretch, particularly in the NVH area. My primary suspect at this time is those little blue donuts on the exhaust hangers. I think they transmit a lot of vibration to the body. The Magnaflow mufflers are also a lot louder. The Camaro also weighs several hundred pounds less.

This was the point I was trying to make in my first post. There is a ton of engineering in modern cars that is hard to duplicate in a pro-touring build. Yes, I get a lot of high fives and comments etc but that’s really not my goal. The quest continues...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Over the years I’ve owned BMW’s, MBZ’s, new pick ups, SUV’s, etc. and I keep going back to old Chevelles as my daily drivers.
      I had a 67 Chevelle conv with an LS/4L60 that I put 100k on in the 6 years it was my only car. I got stopped to chat multiple times everyday.
      I’m just finishing up a 66 Chevelle which once I’m done will again be my only car.
      With upgraded suspension, brakes, engine, trans, sound deadening, etc, it is 1000% better than it was in 66 but will never equal a new car. It won’t do 11 second quarters because I went for MPG. It won’t pull multiple G’s in a corner because I went for quiet handling. But I’ll drive it everyday. In traffic. In rain. To Safeway. To Costco. My kids will use it.
      And the smiles-per-mike factor is off the charts.
      Sell the Vette and don’t look back.

So I had several Corvettes - C4, C5Z, 2 C6 Z51's. Great cars, but they are basically race cars you can drive on the street. But they have a lot of compromises for street use - very long front overhang, very low with minimal ground clearance on the front and middle of the car, long doors making it impossible to open in a parking lot, terrible visibility, very low seating position, hard to get in and out of.

Great cars for weekend use if you are into track events maybe, although I really don't think a stock Corvette with street tires is a very good track day car for a fast driver - OK for a slow / novice driver completely stock and decent for a fast driver when equipped with race tires and better brake pads and maybe a roll bar / harness / better seats.

But they don't make great daily drivers. I have a 6th gen Camaro with the LT1 in convertible trim and it's a much better daily driver or even road trip car than a Corvette. My PT build is more tuned towards race car - so it's not as friendly to drive all the time, but that said - it is easy to drive in parking lots, in traffic, on the highway (2200 rpm at 75), etc. With a milder engine it would be more street friendly and then maybe add AC to it. I could see driving a car like that as a daily. But I think if I did it I would pick a slightly bigger chassis - the 64-65 or 66-67 Chevelle is pretty ideal for that IMO. I've considered many times selling my Panamera sedan and building a car like that. But I always come back to - would the wife really enjoy taking it on 2-5 hour weekend road trips?
      The Porsche is such a nice car - anything I could build for any reasonable budget would not come close to it from a refinement and quality perspective.
      Still I think about that. I like my 71 set-up as a more track oriented extreme street car weekend warrior.

All depends what you are looking for out of the car.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
      Hello,
      Has anyone went from a new high hp car to building a pro tour car?? I am thinking about selling my C7 Z06 to fund the build on my 68.
      While not quite on the same level as the Z06, I sold a 2012 Boss 302 and replaced it with a 1969 Corvette. I enjoyed the Boss because it was the closest in 'feel' at the time to my 68 Z/28. High Horsepower, High RPM and maybe a little rough around the edges. The Vette won't be a High-end build, but it's well on it's way to fall squarely between Resto-mod and Pro-touring. EFI, TKO 5 spd, better suspension, sticky tires, etc.

As said above, even good versions of these old cars feel very different than the new cars. NVH is a factor. New cars seem to isolate your senses so you can enjoy the infotainment system. Older ones not so much. If you don't mind turning a wrench, having some individuality, getting stares and conversation from strangers when you stop for gas, building that 68 might be just what you need. It won't be as easy as the Z06 and will probably cost as much or more money ultimately. There is an emotional connection with these old cars that even superior performing new cars have been unable to capture(at least for me)

I haven't looked back....not once.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

They don't make cars like they used to.

Boy I sure am glad!!!!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Guys, I am relatively new to the forum and don’t post much. But I am building my 67 chevelle total custom over a C6 vette Chassis. There will be a lot of interior customization and I will put a wide body kit on it also. I want a DD quality/reliable/fast ride with all the creature comforts including NAV with Rare tin. Should be done in the spring.

IMO, that’s the way to go. Beautiful old tin, covering the latest tech.

Quote Originally Posted by F pilot View Post
      Guys, I am relatively new to the forum and don’t post much. But I am building my 67 chevelle total custom over a C6 vette Chassis. There will be a lot of interior customization and I will put a wide body kit on it also. I want a DD quality/reliable/fast ride with all the creature comforts including NAV with Rare tin. Should be done in the spring.

IMO, that’s the way to go. Beautiful old tin, covering the latest tech.
      Sounds like a great build - did you start a project thread on it here? Would love to stay updated on progress as you go.

Personally I like to have a modern performance car with all the tech and NVH and smoothness plus a more raw and rough edged classic with similar or better performance envelope rather than combining the two into one car. But that's the beauty of this - many ways to build the classic PT machine to suit your own vision and needs.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Been thinking about this more. I am strongly leaning towards selling my 6 year old Panamera and building a lux + performance PT classic based on an A body.
      Looking at Chevelle's and Leman's GTO clones, but I really have my eye on this particular '72 Monte Carlo for the build.
      In looking at these Monte's - they share all the suspension from the A body and the same wheelbase and overall length as the wagon or El Camino versions.
      116" WB and 206" length, vs. 112" and 197" for the 2 door coupes. Still smaller than say a '65 Impala or even a 58-64 Impala (I owned a 63 for 20 years).
      But a big car - in fact it's a good 10" longer than my Panamera, about same width. Which means it will fit in my garage.

I wouldn't go so far as swapping the whole chassis out. I think you can go a long way with the full coil over package from Ride-Tech for $5K vs. double to triple that expense for a full chassis conversion.

It doesn't need to handle as good as my Panamera did, but if it rides nicely - stops well and handles good I will be happy. Probably won't get the NVH levels up to modern standards, but with the right use of sound deadening and structural improvements to the original frame it should be pretty good.

I'd love to be able to take a car like that on weekend road trips which is the main thing I use the Panamera for. Put a killer stereo in it, good AC, nice modern seats, and probably improve the lighting a bit inside and out.

Did the OP ever take this plunge?

Because my other thought is to pick up a C6 Z06 - but I've owned 2 C6's already and 1 C5 and I really think this modernized classic wrapper PT highway brawler would be a lot more unique and fun to own. Plus I have a 2016 SS Camaro. And then I can take my 71 Camaro more hardcore and make it better for track use with another fun classic for street driving.

So many ways to go these days!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      it would be fun to have a z06 for sure,
      but i’d walk right past a newer corvette in a parking lot without a second look, it’s just a nice new car that i see 5 or 10 a day.
      I may slow down to look at a nice ferrari,
      but almost any nice 60s-70s pro tour muscle car would stop me for sure.
      That’s why i have z06 equivalent money in my 50yr old muscle car.

If that’s not you, maybe keep the store bought car.
      exactly.
      Mike F.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com