Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New Hooker Blackheart 1st-gen Camaro BB Chevy stainless steel headers

I had mentioned the coming release of some new Hooker Blackheart BB Chevy headers for 1st-gen Camaros to another member in a different thread some time back, so I thought I'd create a thread for them here so I can make you guys aware of them as they get released. The images posted here are of the 2" headers (part number BH13182) that were just released a couple of days ago; they are for stock exhaust port size/location heads and are designed to be compatible with the Ride Tech Tru-Turn system, which can be seen in the first under-car image. There will be a couple of more part numbers released in the coming months and one of those will be a 2-1/8" header with different bend geometry than this set of headers shown here.

Name:  bh13182_0119207.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  79.6 KBName:  bh13182_0619207.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  127.9 KBName:  BH13182_16.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  224.6 KBName:  BH13183_1.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  207.7 KBName:  BH13183_4.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  180.8 KBName:  BH13183_5.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  97.0 KB

Man, those fit nice! Tequila shots on me, next time I see you :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Man, those fit nice! Tequila shots on me, next time I see you :-)

Andrew
      Although I can't take credit for the design of these headers (they were prototyped by another designer on the Hooker Blackheart team), I will hold you to the tequila shots when you're in town for LS Fest...I don't drink the cheap stuff either!

I don't either. I like Don Julio, Anejo ;-)
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I bet they would be close to fitting a second gen. I tried the passenger side Super Comps first gen in my second gen a while back and it fit. I don't remember the ground clearance though. Wishful thinking maybe. Send me a set of second gens when they come out and I will test fit them.

I would be able to lower the front of my car at least 1.5" s from where it is now with that clearance.

Yeah, I think the geometry
      of the driver side assembly is go to make them a no-go on a 2nd-gen. We haven’t designed a Hooker Blackheart header to fit more than a single application yet and at the end of the day I think that works out out being better for us and the user.

For those who are following that are thinking a 2" primary size header is too large for the BB engine in their 1st-gen Camaro, an 1-7/8" version of the Hooker Blackheart headers being discussed thus far in this thread has just been released as part number BH13181.

Do these clear a Borgeson p/s box?

If you are referring to the Borgeson remanufactured box based on the Saginaw 700 series box, then yes, they do.

Since your somewhat in touch with Hooker, I've got to ask a question. I've got the Hooker competition headers. I, like a lot of others on the internet wonder why Hooker won't fix the fit of their small block headers into a first gen Camaro. One of the tubes does in fact hit the steering. I had a problem, sent the header back, they sent it back and told me that it did fit their fixture. I am aware it fits their fixture and asked them if maybe their fixture could use some adjusting and showed where it was hitting. Their reply was... it fits the fixture and sent the header back. I googled this problem and it was pretty wide spread with most saying they just took a hammer and dented the tube. Go figure.
      Sorry for ranting on your thread, I just thought I'd ask you, your thoughts.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Since your somewhat in touch with Hooker, I've got to ask a question. I've got the Hooker competition headers. I, like a lot of others on the internet wonder why Hooker won't fix the fit of their small block headers into a first gen Camaro. One of the tubes does in fact hit the steering. I had a problem, sent the header back, they sent it back and told me that it did fit their fixture. I am aware it fits their fixture and asked them if maybe their fixture could use some adjusting and showed where it was hitting. Their reply was... it fits the fixture and sent the header back. I googled this problem and it was pretty wide spread with most saying they just took a hammer and dented the tube. Go figure.
      Sorry for ranting on your thread, I just thought I'd ask you, your thoughts.
      Hello Carl. I can't give you an official authorized answer to your question since I don't work in the customer service or management sides of the business at Holley. However, I can tell you from experience that the headers within the Comp line were designed at a time in the past (long before Holley acquired Hooker), when it was common for headers to be designed by manufacturers to fit as broad a range of vehicle applications as possible.

There are inherent drawbacks to using that design methodology as it makes it harder to execute design revisions to such a set of headers than it would be if they were created to only fit a single vehicle application. If for example, you were to change the bend geometry of a specific tube to provide more clearance between it and a component on one of the vehicles listed in the application range, you could possibly be creating a new interference issue on one of the other vehicles within the application range. To be sure you wouldn't be, you would have to test fit the revised design on each and every vehicle type in the application.

There was a time when that would not have been an impossible task, but it has become so due to the age of some of the vehicles covered in some of these applications and the ability to obtain/borrow them for such activities. The best way to eliminate issues such as these, in my personal opinion, is to adopt a design methodology that requires only a single vehicle to be targeted with each and every new header design. That is exactly what Holley chose to do when the Hooker Blackheart line was created, which makes it much easier for me to optimize the fitment of the headers and exhaust products that I design as part of the engine swap systems I'm responsible for developing.

I am old enough to remember when hammer denting headers to fit them on cars was quite the expected norm and it unfortunately still is a requirement is some instances. Because of what I knew then and what I know now, I've changed my personal header expectations and requirements accordingly. I typically won't purchase headers that were designed more than 10 years in the past, and won't buy any that are not made from stainless steel. I hope my unofficial observation is useful to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Point taken, and a good analogy. I understand about the old ways of doing things. I'm 68 and remember quite well the way things used to be done. I appreciate your answer.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

What do these look like at the steering box?

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      What do these look like at the steering box?
      Name:  BH13182_2.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  251.2 KBName:  BH13182_1.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  252.7 KB

Nice, thanks

Any chance these fit a 69 Impala?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Any chance these fit a 69 Impala?
      I wouldn't have any way of knowing if they would. They were prototyped on a 1st-gen Camaro and test fitted on no other type of vehicle.

Todd,
      I think its great that they redesigned the header, but at over 1200.00 for headers I think its going to be a hard pill to swallow for some. But as they say build it and they will buy it.
      BB

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
      Todd,
      I think its great that they redesigned the header, but at over 1200.00 for headers I think its going to be a hard pill to swallow for some. But as they say build it and they will buy it.
      BB
      Development of Hooker Blackheart headers or exhaust systems are never undertaken as a redesign effort of existing Hooker Comp or Super Comp applications and are instead carried out to provide users with a higher level of fitment, component level design optimization and build quality. We understand that some users won’t find value in the improved features these headers provide and the lower cost headers from our other product lines exist as alternatives for those users. For any given application, Hooker Blackheart headers are never the cheapest, or most expensive option available.

I'd be happy to measure or test fit a set. Two sets of headers in and I'm still not happy.

Ground clearance issues on the Hooker competition header, btw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com