Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2013 - 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 mirrors on a 2nd gen? Need reference measurements

I'm looking to put some larger, more functional mirrors on my second gen build. The 2013 through current Porsche 911 GT3 mirrors look great! Their shape is somewhat bullet-like and similar to the stock mirrors. Does anyone have a 911 or Porsche with gt3 mirrors by chance that they could check the shown angles on? See the pictures attached. I need to know the relation between the mirror and the mounting surface to the door. I also need to know the angle between the bottom of the actual mirror house and the neck. If this is within a couple degrees from a stock second gen mirror I should be able to work them and make them work on the build. If it's too far off some sort of spacer similar to what is on the stock cars between the door skin and the base of the mirror may have to be made. It would be thinner on one side than the other if the angles are off too much, and that might look odd.Name:  IMG_20190730_213022.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  235.1 KBName:  IMG_20190730_213116.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  217.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20190731-070257.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  8.0 KBName:  IMG_20190730_213302.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  164.5 KBName:  IMG_20190730_213134.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  208.4 KB

Looking at the 911 door where the mirrors are mounted. The 911 door is more oval/curvy than the 2nd gen door. You will definitely need to fabricate some way to mount it as the 911 mount will not put the mirror in the correct angle/position. Check out the 13-18 Lexus ES mirrors, Ford Fusion, Mazda Miata mirrors(new body style). I personally put the Lexus mirrors on my 69 Camaro and in my opinion they look great and fit the door body lines perfectly. Many people use 2nd gen Camaro mirrors on 1st gen so I know those should fit pretty close.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, from pictures I've noticed that the mount point on the 911 is much curvier than on a second gen. It's closer to being parallel with the ground in a way too. The second gen is more straight up and down, or perpendicular to the ground you could say. I think there is probably about a 15 degree difference in the mounting base angle between the Porsche mirror and the second gen mirror from the analysis I have done on pictures and such. It's hard to tell though without having the thing in my hand. That's why I've asked for help.

it's funny, I have looked at all those mirrors and they are on my list of top five for consideration minus the Lexus. I will look at that one. I haven't done so yet. The thing I don't like about the Ford fusion mirrors is the lights that are on them. I go back and forth between thinking the row of lights for the turn signal looks okay and not liking it. I considered getting the mirrors, removing the row of lights, and fiberglassing over it- assuming the mirror is some sort of plastic for fiberglass that is. I actually just took a picture of my friend's fusion mirrors last Friday. His is about a 2016. I am assuming that is the body style you are talking about.

All the cars mirrors you mentioned have body lines that go with a second gen though. The Porsche mirrors are hard to get a line on, they're expensive, and probably will require too much fabrication. They sure look good though.

I also considered the 2016 Cruze mirrors. The body lines are a touch more harder than those of a 2nd gen but I thought it looked like it'd work.

Here's a thought, what about a 2018 Challenger? their mirrors look like a blown up version of a second gen! It's perfect! The neck may be just a touch too long.

Yes the Challenger mirrors necks are huge, but that may be good as you can cut them down and get the right angle you need. Also when I was doing my “research” I got tired of looking at pics on the web and literally went to the dealership on a Sunday (when they are closed so I don’t get asked any questions lol). Check out some VW mirrors, most of their line up also mounts on the doors. For the price the Lexus mirrors aftermarket cost maybe $90 each from amazon. They have built in turn signal, motorized up/down/left/right, puddle light, and defrost. All cool things. I figured out all the pin outs so I can tell you which wire does what.

I thought about going to the dealers too. I had a visit lined up with my buddy to measure his fusion mirrors yesterday, but I canceled. I was looking at the late sixth generation Camaro mirrors and decided to give them a go. The early sixth gen mirrors from about 2010 to 2015 are big long hockey sticks like vette mirrors. I ordered a 2016 mirror for $115 after shipping from eBay. I'm really not liking the turn signals on the fusion mirrors. They're very obvious, and would take a lot of work to delete. I decided not to go with the Challenger mirrors since they are so close to the stock mirrors. It would be too subtle of a change. I want to go for a slight change that does add a little bit of flare to the car. The Challenger ones glass doesn't see much bigger than a stock second gen either. I do want a much larger viewing space.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Looking at the 911 door where the mirrors are mounted. The 911 door is more oval/curvy than the 2nd gen door. You will definitely need to fabricate some way to mount it as the 911 mount will not put the mirror in the correct angle/position. Check out the 13-18 Lexus ES mirrors, Ford Fusion, Mazda Miata mirrors(new body style). I personally put the Lexus mirrors on my 69 Camaro and in my opinion they look great and fit the door body lines perfectly. Many people use 2nd gen Camaro mirrors on 1st gen so I know those should fit pretty close.
      Just curious, but do you have pictures of the Lexus mirrors on your '69?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Just curious, but do you have pictures of the Lexus mirrors on your '69?

I too would like to see.

I sure do. Click on my build thread. It’s on the last page. Let me know if you want more pics

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com