Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Want some new shoes for 68 Skylark

I figure my car has about the same clearance as the same year Chevelle. I’d like to buy a different staggered set. 18x10s with a 295 tire would look much nicer on the back of my Skylark. I currently have US MAGS wheels in 18x8 (245/45) fronts and 18x9 (275/40) rears with more room to spare. I have 1-inch clearance on both sides, inners and outers. The fenders were opened up a bit during restoration.

Few Q’s:

-What’s the common offset/backspace for 10” wheels on a 68/69 Chevelle?
      -The Weld S77s are looking really nice IMO. Where’s the cheapest place to order Welds?
      -I like the “stepped lip” look better. Any other wheels y’all recommend recommend priced about the same?

Here’s some clearance pics.

Country Flag: United States
      I can't answer the specific wheel questions, but these old cars need some sidewall. I suggest 295/40-18 in the rear and 255/40-18 in the front. Should fit without any issues or rubbing if the wheels are speced out correctly. Nitto is the only company that I see offering those sizes in the same tire.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Isn’t a 255/40 too big for an 8” rim? I’d like to go 8.5” - 9” up front anyways if they clear.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      Isn’t a 255/40 too big for an 8” rim? I’d like to go 8.5” - 9” up front anyways if they clear.
      I ran a 255 on a 8" wheels, but you're right, 9 would be better. A 9" wheel with 5.5" of backspacing should work well...may rub the seat bar in the parking lot, but who cares :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If you have the same clearance on each side, then find the offset for the US MAGs you currently have and try to get the exact same offset but on a wider rim (or at least within 2mm). For example, a 4.5" backspace on an 8" rim has the same 0mm offset a 5" on a 9" rim.
      ""
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

So a 5.5” BS for a 10” rim should be the one?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com