Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Magnum swap woes

This Post is part rant and part info. Hopefully it will save some other poor schmuck some headaches.

First some back ground.
      The car is a '71 Nova with a GEN I small block 400. I decided it was time to replace the trashed T10, eventually settling on a new T56 Magnum.
      Since I live north of the border cost is a concern. With the Canuck buck only being worth $0.75 US I decided to use an adapter plate and reuse my bell housing and clutch linkage. The Lakewood bell is already dialed in and the linkage has Heim joints and works smoothly.

The "Plate"
      Guess what!? There are two different versions of the adapter plates. One for the early factory T56 and another for the newer Magnums. That's right, I bought the wrong one. At least it was cheap.
      Nothing I couldn't fix with a variety of cutting tools.
      I also changed the pilot bushing for the extended version.

The install.
      I removed the clutch and clutch fork to make test fitting for floor and cross member work a little easier (I'll whine about that some other time).
      After what I had hoped was the final test fit it occurred to me that I hadn't checked the the input shaft to pilot bushing fit. I peered in through the clutch fork hole to check the fit. The end of the input shaft was barely into the bushing. I put the trans in gear and used the yoke to rotate the assembly to hopefully leave some sort of witness mark on the input shaft before I pulled it out.

The input shaft had only gone into the bushing 3/8". After some more measuring I also found that the spline in the clutch disc would only engage 5/8" of the input shaft spline. The clutch spline is 1 5/8" deep.
      Now I'm no expert on anything, but I figure with so little spline engagement I would only be a few clutch dumps away from needing a new input shaft.

So, adapter plate and extended bushing = not a good idea.

After I sort through all of the hydraulic clutch options I'll order a Quick Time bell.

There! I've vented!
      I feel much better.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

QuickTime Bellhousing is the way to go. I would also check runout and parallel alignment on the bellhousing before you install the trans.

I am running one behind a externally balanced 406 in my Camaro.

Name:  47140932352_d9f52c6fd0_b.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  274.7 KB
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Country Flag: Canada
      I will certainly check for runout. It was a real eye opener when I dialed in the Lakewood bell, not that it helped the T10 much.
      Do you have it on the road? I'm wondering which shifter position you are using.

I have compiled a shopping list. Please, if you see anything that isn't compatible or that I may have a problem with let me know. I really want to drive this thing before the snow flies.

QuickTime RM-6023 https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...6023/overview/
      McLeod 1434002QD https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...02qd/overview/
      LUK LSC265B https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...265b/overview/

I will also be ordering a Tick speed bleeder and Bowlers indicator plate
      What is the best way to fasten the slave to the trans?

Thanks
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com