Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 1984 s10 build

Country Flag: United States

1984 s10 build

Hey everyone, so to get started this is my first ‘Pro-Touring’ build. I recently blew up my sbc 350 I had inside of my 84 s10 regular cab long bed and I have decided to with this style of build next. I’m fairly familiar with engines and that side of things but for this kind of suspension setups I’m kind of in the dark. I’ve read up a little and I’ve been pointed in the direction of qa1 or RideTechs full suspension kit that is made for my truck. I also looked at doing a c5 front suspension swap but do not feel like doing the fabrication work needed for that.

Now price isnt much of an issue however I’d like to spend wisely, so my question is the ridetech kit or qa1 worth it? Is there other options that could save me money? I want to have a reliable and somewhat competitive build but doesn’t need to be a full on competition truck.

Welcome, fellow s10er. Both kits are worth the money, but that's the rub-$$$$. ridetech is great and the support is fantastic. I went strictly budget on my 2000 and 2002 with the ZQ8 option. I added 2"drop Belltech spindles( to satisfy SCCA height vs width rule), Pro-Forged 1/2" tall upper and lower balljoints, Speedway Motors right hand 8" metric tubular upper arms, JTR.com driveshaft alignment kit and 1" lowering block kit for the rear leafs, Reflex 48mm monotube shocks and ditched the rear sway bar. Added a Detroit Truetrac diff( best change for handling other than tires). Spend money for Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires and wheels in what ever size you can then best afford. The tires will be the biggest aid of all! Note. The ZQ8 option has a 12 to 1 quick ratio steering box. This will set you back about $2500, depending on what you spend on wheels.This will get you really close to what the big name suspension kits offer and you'll still have money left over if you don't buy new forged wheels ( I got used 17" TT11 and 18"Corvette wheels). I also made a front frame horn brace to stiffen the steering gear. Oops, forgot the 12" 2000 Camaro front brakes I adapted with Stoptech 309 Sport brake pads. This is about another $500. You can use 13" corvette rotors depending on the wheels you get( will fit some 17" and all 18" that I know of. I'd recommend Kore3 for brake parts.

Then stick an LS motor and trans in it and really kick some a$$.
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

Thanks thats a lot of helpful information that ill have to look into.. The zq8 swap was a idea of might but never looked into but now it looks like a real contender

I am going the c5 route so not much help. But welcome fellow s10er! :D

Congrats on jumping down this rabbit hole! It's addicting as hell, and just like any good addiction it leaves your wallet much lighter an easier to carry. I would say that both QA1 and ridetech are both great choices and well built (judging by some of their other systems I have seen in person). Personally ridetech is always my first choice due to the shocks they build and the fact that they always go way above and beyond to make sure you get what you need/want. Do either of those if your goal isn't to spend the next 12-24 months fabricating. If you really want custom and to build your own setup, the C5 swap is the way to go.

Either way show us some pics so we can see your vision too!
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

C5 is definitely some fab work lol

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com