Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Car Culture in the Smokey Mountains

Hello Everyone!

I'm going on a road trip through the Smokies, and I was wondering what the best places are for car people. I am not limited to pro touring, as I also like other sports cars. I like a twisty road in the mountains. Also interested in autocross and road courses.

If there are any events this weekend you would suggest I might be able to attend! Travelling with my sister in her Fusion, so not the most epic ride, but it's what's available to us right now.

Part of the idea of this trip is to consider a place to move to. I'm currently out of CA, which is a great state for pro-touring, but considering leaving due to cost of living. I'm looking for an area with lots of motorsport events within a reasonable driving distance, and plenty of car-modding infrastructure. I'm considering getting into the industry myself. So, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I know this is a pretty huge topic, and I hardly know what to ask, but I was hoping some of you could help narrow things down for me a bit. Thanks!

I'm in Charlotte NC, which is not in the smokeys but nearby. The car scene is pretty good, lots of local events, not a great deal of pro-touring. But the industry for car mods is huge. The NASCAR has really developed the industry around Mooresville. and I've met several Californians who have moved out recently, you'll love the humidity...

I'm in Franklin right now. Beautiful country! Detroit Speed is in Mooresville, and PTFB is 5 hours the other way (from here) in Tennessee. Any driving events in particular you like to attend?

Quote Originally Posted by 74 Camaro View Post
      I'm in Franklin right now. Beautiful country! Detroit Speed is in Mooresville, and PTFB is 5 hours the other way (from here) in Tennessee. Any driving events in particular you like to attend?
      It's disappointing that goodguys will no longer be held in Charlotte, but we still have the auto fair twice a year, multiple cars and coffee locations every month, multiple car shows(most every weekend in summer), my favorite is now the "hotrods'n'hops" events because its more of a social event rather than a show and they're now hosting it at Zmax drag way so you can also get quarter mile time if that interests you, it's probably less than 2 years old but outgrows their locations frequently(hence the dragway location now)

That is a shame about goodguys. I have been to observe one test and tune drag event, and it was quite enjoyable. I think I could supplement my hobby with some drag racing, but I would have a hard time giving up motorsports involving corners. If anything, my problem is that I have a hard time narrowing down my interests. It would be helpful if I could be just a bit more of a snob. I also love hops. Thanks for sharing!

I live in East TN, about 15 minutes from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The car scene can be lackluster at times, but there's car shows all over the place and we have a few autocross events in the area. The biggest upside is the roads, especially for the Pro-Touring crowd. US129 (aka Tail of The Dragon) is only a 30 minute drive from my house, The Devil's Triangle in Petros is just over an hour away, The Moonshiner 28 isn't too far from Deal's Gap, The Diamondback 226 is another great road. Basically anywhere in East TN, Western NC/SC, Western VA, and Northern GA has some of the best windy roads in the country. Some are commercialized, most are not, though.

As for autocross/driving events, this area is about 4-6 hours from some big events/venues. Virginia International Raceway, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Carolina Motorsports Park, and the National Corvette Museum are all close enough for track days.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Thanks for the reply, Slick68. Good driving roads are really important to me. So far, canyon carving is all I've actually done. No autocross or track days yet. Some day though...

I really appreciate the list of roads. Hopefully I will get to take a ride on them some day!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com