Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Review - StopTech Sport Pads

Put on some StopTech Sport pads today on my day off. Before I put them on, I hit the rotors lightly with some 600 grit sand paper and then cleaned with acetone. Car is a 1971 Camaro with essentially a C4 Vette brake system (and older Baer conversion kit).

When I first went out of the garage, I was a little worried bacause the brakes felt so mushy (I pumped them numerous times to reset the pistons since I depressed them to get the new pads in).

But as I started driving (very cautiously!) down the street, I could feel them start to grab better. Ended up driving around for about 5 miles and they kept getting better and better.

I have to say, wow what an improvement. Instant grab, and it feels very proportional after that. By the time I pulled back into the garage, it seemed like it was still improving, so who knows where it'll plateau.

What's also very nice is that the pedal effort at a stoplight is drastically reduced. That was always a bit of a gripe with this car (it wasn't terrible, but compared to newer cars, it was a little annoying). It's pretty much on par with my wife's '17 Inifnity QX60 now in that regard.

I was running Duralast Gold pads before this (and they were a little better than the factory Delco pads). But the StopTechs are far superior IMO.

Overall, the just "feel" of the pedal is better too...in fact I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. There's more of a firm reaction against my foot, a positive feel to it, if you will. Yeah, I can't describe it any better than that.... I just like the feel of it A LOT better than before.

And so far they're very quiet... no squealing or grinding or anything like that. Sounds totally factory. Though I did put on some disc break quiet goop on the metal backing plates.

Any rate, I'll be heading out to the local Bob's Big Boy show tonight, so I'll get some more driving in with it... we'll see if it improves even further! But even if it stays the way it is, I'm totally satisfied.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Thanks for the review. The brakes on my Cougar are starting to squeal pretty badly. I have Baer brakes which I think included the Hawk HP pads. I'd like a good street pad.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Are these the Stoptech 309 pads? That's what I have had on my car for 2 years now and I love them. They do need to be bedded in occasionally which really help them perform better.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      They do need to be bedded in occasionally which really help them perform better.
      How do you do this, and how do you know when it needs to be re bedded?
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

This is a good video for most street pads:

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by silvermonte View Post
      How do you do this, and how do you know when it needs to be re bedded?
      Like the video above shows. With my Stoptechs, theres a slight blueish tint of the pad material deposited on the rotor once bedded
      Lance

I have always done that with new pads, just didnt know that it needed to be re-done from time to time.
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

Why would you need to redo it?
      1971 Camaro

Yeah they seem to be getting better with time. Was able to put a few more miles on it.

Though, I will say they're not kidding about the brake dust... lol. Probably accumulates 3-4 times faster than my old Duralasts. But to be honest, I'll take brake dust any day given how well this thing hauls down to a stop.
      1971 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      Why would you need to redo it?
      Normal every day driving will wear the pad material off of the rotors. These pads work with adhesion technology where they put pad material on the rotors and the pad material grabs grabs the rotor material to create friction. Bedding the pads in gets the pads hot enough to deposit material on the rotors once again giving the pads something to grab onto.

Lance

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com