Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Gbody Rear c6 z06 4 piston caliper conversion

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum, but have read plenty of threads on here a guest.
      A little history on my car. I have a 1987 Buick Grandnational that was sitting locked away in a garage for 12+years without use. I had a little boy on 10/22/16 and I started getting my GN repaired in order for my son to have memories of it when he gets older, hoping he can have it when he gets older.
      Well, I had little knowedlge about the car other than it was my dream car since 1988 when my mother had one and it was mentioned that I would inherit it when I was 16, well that never happen because it was stolen

I have done all maintence and a few upgrades since 3/16

20” staggered step lip wheels
      msd wires
      Bmr lower control arms cane with car when purchased
      Belltech rear lowering springs
      wilwood Mc
      Kenne bell fuel pump booster (came with car when I purcahsed it)
      moog/ energy front end rebuild
      high flow pump and new tank
      gnx dash w/ stwert warner gauges
      Ls1 maf and translator
      5.7 chip from turbotweak
      Ministarter
      optima battery
      Deep transpan hughes
      K&N filter with maf pipe
      Atr dual exhaust actually came with car when purchased
      Vacuum brake conversion
      front corvette yellow z06 calipers and 14 inch rotors which is the reason for my thread.

Any one know my options to match the rears with the 4 piston z06 calipers?
      I pieced together my front kit using several Other Gm parts hoping to do the same on the rear or a solution to have to cut and drill my housing as my GN is pretty much all orginal and would hate to actually cut something. Hoping to keep the e brake and use my stock ebrake pedal???I thabk you gor all information in advace! Here are some pictures of my GN
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Country Flag: United States
      I'm back researching my el camino brake upgrade which I looked into years ago using the 98 to 02 Camaro front parts, which I already have the calipers from. I see now the 14" Z-06 base fronts like you have are pretty cheap, so I'll get them. why not right. I'll have to figure my own brackets based on extending an existing pattern for 3/8" metal up for the taller discs & probably just use the weaker cast camaro calipers for now. I know from kore 3's website the the camaro, c-5 & c-6 calipers are the same physical size, just the brackets differ. Planning on cutting & tapping my existing spindles for mounts & making hubs from my old American made rotor hub assemblies. Did not see any info about the mounting difference of the yellow z-06 calipers if there is even any or not. Kore 3 sold the bigger 14" rotors & mounting brackets, but not the Yellow calipers, though Tobin there Probably could answer that . They do have The rear kits in the 340 mm/13.4" size with parking brake & the red calipers, also have brackets only for $125.
      I know from other threads there is some modding to make things work, especially with the cables. When I get around to purchasing a larger rear from my 7.5" my plan is to do some sort of a twin rear caliper setup & use a hydraulic mc handbrake. I currently have a handbrake from a fiero mounted in the fiero location between seat & door. Some factory cars & the drifter crowd use the twin rear caliper setup. You'd have to make the bracket & lines.
      Quick question for you, are the front rotors handed? I ask because I'm considering doing a circular saw tooth pattern in the rotors I saw. I know it'll hurt performance a little, but I don't track use the el camino & do a lot of braking with the 6 speed anyways.
      I know you,ve had to have done some google searches, should be at least some older c-5 rear swap threads on g-body forums. Here's a few links.
      http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10277-03
      https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.SaSnULOfthE
      https://gbodyforum.com/threads/gbody...etailed.41067/

Haven't read any of the rear brake threads lately, may be some on Ls1 tech.com also. By the way, you will by no means have to cut your rear housing, (just r & r axles shafts for bracket access) but may need to modify brackets, possibly use shock relocation brackets & probably make parking brake cable brackets.

EDIT:: yellow calipers are listed in ordering options when checking out for the z-06 parts. Hadn't noticed that earlier

I would be very cautious about using fixed calipers on a rear end that uses c-clips. There is quite a bit of play in those axles and you're just asking for trouble with pad knock back. I would stick with a floating caliper design. On my 70 GTO I use the same from brakes as you do and LS Camaro brakes in the rear.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Good point Andrew, wasn't thinking about that 4:00 this morning when I posted & I only previously had looked into the LS brake setups which must be floating since they have an abutement bracket. Knockback will give you kinda the same effect as a failing master cylinder where you have to hit the brakes twice to have a proper firm pedal--- not good.

Geezy, since you said you were able to mix & match you own front components, maybe you can do such in the rear though it would be a bit more work on figuring & modifying/ making your own brackets. If a exact matching yellow caliper is of upmost importance, you technically could use a front set, hanging them out back, and balance it out with proportioning valves. Would just take a bit more time , skill, & bracket making, would involve repeatedly removing axle c-clip & pulling axles, making mock up templates from possibly cabinet grade plywood, etc.

Another time consuming option is modding axle tubes to ford ends to eliminate c-clips. If I remember correctly I think member black metal's Camaro had this done due to knockback issues.

So you do have a few choices, easiest may be to find high heat yellow paint for ls calipers (any 98 to 02 Camaro) or have the calipers disassembled, powdercoated & re-assembled.
      here's another g-body link with other relevant site links at the bottom of the thread. LS customs older thread has some good info. Most people hang the calipers out back due to frame clearance & have to fight parking brake cable issues & shock relocation.
      https://gbodyforum.com/threads/rear-...options.53539/

pics of the older c-5 kits at core 3appear to be floating, no pic of the z-06 parts. Wish I had a little more hands on experience here. Found pics of yella z-06 rear calipers on summit's site, definitely a fixed caliper.

It has been some time since I been active on this board. However, I ended up getting Kore3 brackets with 4 piston z06 yellow calipers . Also have done poly body bushings, umi performance upper and lower A arms, 3 point brace, sways etc. Aldan American coilovers, ta 3”down pipe and bunch of other upgraded parts. Here are a few shotsName:  IMG_9032.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  453.8 KBName:  IMG_8909.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  127.2 KBName:  3B473FBB-1142-41D8-A190-DF16002EE5ED.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  571.3 KBName:  07067268-78AB-423D-ABB8-C86FC285BD57.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  328.1 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com