Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Engine sourcing feedback...

Hello, all. I have a '73 Camaro that's going to be a completed roller in a couple of weeks here. Full Speedtech Extreme suspension. This is the first time I'm going through this process all on my own and a lot of it I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm learning along the way. I'm sure you'll get a sense of that pretty quickly with the noobish questions that are about to follow.

I'll be looking into engines and trans next (LS376/525, LSA, etc... w/T56) and have a couple of pretty general questions. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of sourcing an engine and trans from an engine shop vs sourcing from a totaled car from a yard? After the initial purchase, what are the general steps to get an engine ready from an engine shop? From a yard? What are the general costs associated with each? I know they can range. Just looking for ballpark figures so I have some sort of idea. What other things are important for me to know that I'm not asking about here?

I know, this is all pretty general, but I have to start somewhere. Any and all feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com