Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Steering linkage and column recommendations...

Hello all. I have a '73 Camaro in the body shop right now for body and paint. When it comes out, it will be a complete rolling chassis with full Speedtech Extreme suspension all around. I'd like to be able to steer the chassis around easier as I work on it, so I'm looking at making a steering linkage and column purchase next. Steering wheel as well, but I know we don't discuss that in this particular sub-forum. I'm looking for something with a decent amount of articulation. I don't have a budget for this particular section of the car.

I don't know where to start with this. I don't know who the major players are with these particular parts or their reputation with those parts. What are some of the products and companies I should be looking at? I would love to hear both higher end as well as economical options so I can research into them.

Thanks! -Rich

Starting point is use the search by car option and look through what summit and jegs carry.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Without generalising too much, the trend is flaming river or IDIDIT with the suitable accessories for your car, and speedtech sell all the steering linkages necessary to pair their subframe to these columns.

You can try source other linkages etc (I started, then stopped) but you will save considerable time just making the purchases I just mentioned, plus the piece of mind that is a commonly used combination by people pushing their cars to the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      Starting point is use the search by car option and look through what summit and jegs carry.
      Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Without generalising too much, the trend is flaming river or IDIDIT with the suitable accessories for your car, and speedtech sell all the steering linkages necessary to pair their subframe to these columns.

You can try source other linkages etc (I started, then stopped) but you will save considerable time just making the purchases I just mentioned, plus the piece of mind that is a commonly used combination by people pushing their cars to the limits.
      Thanks. This helps a lot.

Ididit for the column and Borgeson sells quality steering joints etc. Summit carries both.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks for all the help. Went with the IDIDIT column and Speedtech steering linkage/joints. That column was a pretty penny, but it was recommended not just by you guys, but by Speedtech as well. Looks like a quality piece.

I've had these parts for a while. Finally getting them on because I'm actually working on mocking everything up now, but I screwed something up. The Ididit column requires two things I've already thrown away. It wants the original under dash mount to connect to the new steering column as well as the original hardware to mount the steering column gasket to the firewall. I've tossed both of these.

The original firewall hardware shouldn't be too hard. Just need to find the specs to these and I can go pick it up, but I'm having problems finding it. If anyone happens to know, I'd love to get those specs. The bigger issue is the original under dash mount that connects to the steering column. I can't seem to find this at all. Can anyone help me out with a part number or something?

Once again, thanks a bunch.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

This is what I used:
      https://www.amazon.com/Ididit-Steeri...6292792&sr=8-3

Here’s the screws for the firewall steering column mounting bracket

https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1..._p/ste-259.htm

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      This is what I used:
      https://www.amazon.com/Ididit-Steeri...6292792&sr=8-3

Here’s the screws for the firewall steering column mounting bracket

https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1..._p/ste-259.htm
      That's a pretty penny for a bracket, but if that's my option over finding it in a junk yard, I'm good with it. That mount should fit my '73 Camaro and Ididit 1620860051 column? The 2" hole isn't big enough to cover the 2.25" diameter of the Ididit upper tube. There's also a set of mounting points on the column that the original mount is suppose to connect to and they extend the diameter out to around 2.5". Do you happen to know the thread specs for the bolts that are welded onto the top bracket that the low mount bolts up to?

Ooo! Found the bracket! OER 14744. My problem was finding the proper name of it to look up. Alright, grabbing one of these and I should be good.

Now I just need the fastener specs for the bolts that are welded onto the top bracket where the lower one will connect to and the fastener specs for the firewall mount.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com