Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      In the big picture I want to combine wide-ratio lower gears + tight spaced overdrives + tall highway axle gear. Power it all with a big block that's built to be happy at low revs.

Result: The 1st gear ends up at a normal speed. The 1st & 6th gear ratios are not much farther apart than normal. But the 2nd-to-5th gear spacing in between them is wider at the bottom and tighter at the top. And driveshaft speeds are slower in all gears.

I don't mind having a 6th gear that is lugging the motor below 60-70 mph. That means there is a gear left at the top to keep the revs down even in rural Nevada. I don't need to be using the top gear in urban/suburban areas just to feel like I got my money's worth.

Country Flag: United States
      I don't know if these ratios from GForce Transmission suit you but they are what I went with:

1st: 2.71, 2nd: 1.79, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.86, 6th: 0.75

RPM Drop (%)
      1st to 2nd = 33.95%, 2nd to 3rd = 27.37%, 3rd to 4th = 23.08%, 4th to 5th = 14.00%, 5th to 6th = 12.79%

As you can see, the RPM drop gets progressively smaller as you go up through the gears which is the way I like it. Never stops pulling!
      Dave

I don't know if these ratios from GForce Transmission suit you but they are what I went with:

1st: 2.71, 2nd: 1.79, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.86, 6th: 0.75

RPM Drop (%)
      1st to 2nd = 33.95%, 2nd to 3rd = 27.37%, 3rd to 4th = 23.08%, 4th to 5th = 14.00%, 5th to 6th = 12.79%

As you can see, the RPM drop gets progressively smaller as you go up through the gears which is the way I like it. Never stops pulling!
      Yeah, that is definitely a good pattern to the spacing. Very tight way up at the top, too.

But the lower ratios are not different enough from Tremec's existing 2.66 (close ratio) gearset for my taste.

That Gforce gearset is probably a lot stronger than what Tremec sells off the shelf, though.

I have the GForce gears in my T56 in the Cougar, but with the stock 5th and 6th. With the new shorter tires, I want a 3.70 gear instead of the 4.33 that I have now. Otherwise, it's awesome. My trans is also a dog-ring conversion.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Fact check me on this but I believe Mark Stielow uses D&D Performance to change ratios in his Magnums

Digging this one up again for the OP, what about these guys?

http://www.rsgear.com/index.php/prod...NZILLA-Magnums

They sell a T56 modified to use Magnum gears and shafts. Not sure on pricing, but they have a couple different gear ratios to choose from. Might have what you want.

Thank google for randomly popping up an article about this trans while searching for other things.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com