Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1967 Plain Jane Camaro

I was inspired to start this build thread after reading the post about the lack of traffic here on PT.com. I'm going to update this as I find the time. I bought the car in 2008 and it was a running, drivable car with an inline 6, powerglide, 4 wheel manual drum brakes and manual steering. It is all original and unmolested. The only thing in it was an aftermarket radio. I thought it would be a good candidate for a build one day.

I drove it for the last 10 years slowly changing things here and there. I added a front spoiler, and LED lights. 3 point harnesses instead of lap belts. One winter I wanted to bring it up to snuff and added power steering, added 4 wheel power disc brakes and replaced every brake line with stainless steel. I also replaced every bushing with polygraphite from PST and replaced the entire suspension with stuff from Hotchkis. Front and rear sway bar, springs and Bilstein shocks. That made a huge difference. Car was like a little go kart! Oh, I also replaced the 14" wheels with body colored 15" steelies with the center cap. I also swapped the rear out for an 8.5 inch 10 bolt posi with 3.42's.

Here is the car when I bought it.

Very cool, what are your plans for it?
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Thanks! The plan is to give it the full treatment, LS swap, 6 speed, wheels, tires, brakes. I've been slowly gathering parts and going to take the plunge soon. I drove the car around like this for 10 years and it's time now. My son is almost 8 and want to get him involved with it, plus I miss that sound and having the power of a V8!

Just adding this rendering here on 10/9/2020 for newcomers that might be finding this thread for the first time.

Here's the car with the front spoiler and LED front marker lights and rear lights. I choose to go with the RS tail lights because they're larger and thought they would be more visible. They are very bright and do their job. I don't care about the back up lights.

Here's how it was up until the beginning of this year.
      This picture is from 2013, but hasn't changed since.
      I don't know if you can see in the picture, but the tires are black wall smoothies from Diamondback tires. They're BFG's, but they polish off the branding and lettering on the sidewall. I liked the clean look.

Looks really great! I love the look!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

you've kept it in great condition all this time. I look forward to seeing the tear down

Country Flag: Canada
      Very nice and I love smooth tires!

Thanks guys! Tear down pics coming soon!

Here's a few pics of the engine removal...

Fluids drained, unbolting and removing everything necessary. I'm pulling the engine and trans together.

It's go time...

Here she is, all 6 cylinders of fury mated to powerglide!

And here's what I'm left with.

As I said earlier, it's going to have an LS in it. I manged to get a take out LS7 with insane low miles that I'm going to convert to wet sump. Along with that, I'll do heads, cam and intake. I found a combo from a very reputable shop called RPM in Delaware. They're constantly churning out C6Z's with this combo in the 630whp range. They have a YouTube channel and put out videos twice a week. Check them out.

Here is the car the engine is out of. It's a Falcon F7, a very low production supercar built in Michigan.

The owner of the car is a very wealthy car collector who thought that it wasn't fast enough. It's at Speedkore getting more CF work done and an engine swap. It's getting a Mercury Marine LS7 with twin turbos, the goal is 1500HP. I bought the LS7 with less than 500 miles on it right from them.

lawd that's pretty! this will be a beast

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a DSE subframe. I was adding up the cost of tubular upper and lower control arms, coil overs, spindles and all the other bits, it wasn't much more to just go for it. It's brand new, clean and much more advanced than my stock one will ever be, and I think it's the last piece I didn't have from DSE

Huge thanks to Kim at MCB for getting this to me in less than 3 weeks!

It comes crated and secured very well. Zero issues, it was well protected. The entire crated package comes in at 470 pounds according to FedEx.

At the time I placed the order I was also looking to purchase the motor mounts to go with it so I'd be able to drop in the LS and trans for mock up. Kim had told me that there was someone that had just bought them and was looking to return them and asked if it was ok to pass my info to them. Turns out he's a fellow forum member here and has a sick build going on too. Check out Dave's build here.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-some-Upgrades!

Thanks Kim for helping us both out! Not only did I get the mounts, but the trans cross member too!

So this weekend me and two buddies gave it a shot. My car is 99% disassembled so it was fairly easy to swap out. In this picture you can see that the passenger fender has been off before and that was to be able to take out the heater box. I know you can drop out the subframe with the sheet metal attached, but being that I had it apart, and then put back together with just a few bolts, and no inner fender, I didn't want to take a chance, so we just pulled the sheet metal.

Four bolts to freedom! I have been planning on removing the stock subframe to clean it up and paint it along with the underside of the car, so for weeks i have been soaking the body mount bolts in penetrating fluid for a little extra insurance because I have heard the horror stories of seized bolts. I'm happy to report they all came out effortlessly.

Nice work, you’re gonna absolutely love the DSE subframe! I’ve got it in my 68 Camaro along with their Quadralink and couldn’t be happier...that’s why the same parts are goin’ in my 67 Nova build currently. Keep up the progress!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Thanks Shane, that's great news. I also bought the QuadraLink for the rear so I'm sure they'll compliment each other. Who knows when I'll actually be able to experience it for myself, but in the meantime I keep gathering parts and doing what I can when I can!

Great build and good god is that motor beautiful. I’m not sure what a “good deal” is but I can not believe you even found that engine for sale.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com