Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      You do some awesome work! I love checking in to see your next post.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      You do some awesome work! I love checking in to see your next post.
      Thanks Wayne, but wish I could say it was MY work. There's a fabricator local to me that I've become friends with over the years and this is all his work. He's a 2 man operation, has his hands in every part of the build and nothing goes out the door without his approval.

I just steal all the ideas from forum members builds such as your own, mix it with my own ideas and he makes it work!

Looking great! Love seeing the progress pictures.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

care to sell the red wheels ?
      yes it does have positraction

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoblue View Post
      care to sell the red wheels ?
      Sorry, they've been sold already.

The 67 is Looking good John! Glad you are able to get back on the car...... mine is so close, like you, I got side tracked with life, etc..... I bought the rear spring pocket kit after I had repainted the bottom and got everything assembled. :( Just talking myself into getting it installed now!!
      Used to be known as classiccamaro

DSE clutch master cylinder mount installed. Welded around the perimeter and made some filler pieces to close out the bottom portion that angles out from the firewall to completely seal off the engine compartment from the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
      The 67 is Looking good John! Glad you are able to get back on the car...... mine is so close, like you, I got side tracked with life, etc..... I bought the rear spring pocket kit after I had repainted the bottom and got everything assembled. :( Just talking myself into getting it installed now!!
      Thanks Dave! I can imagine the anxiety grinding and welding on fresh paint! You won't be sorry though! I look forward to more updates on your car!

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      DSE clutch master cylinder mount installed. Welded around the perimeter and made some filler pieces to close out the bottom portion that angles out from the firewall to completely seal off the engine compartment from the interior.

John,
      Wish I would have thought about doing that before paint. That's a great idea to strengthen it and seal it separately.
      Keep up the progress
      tankmasterj
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Let's talk about cross members.

I dropped my mock up engine in the DSE subframe using their 1.5" setback mounts. I used the Bowler Transmission transmission cross member and it fit. It has slots that allow you some room for adjustment. While it does fit, I really wanted to use the Holley one, as it allows for more exhaust clearance while running through that area, and I have the exhaust from Holley made to fit and work with complete DSE set up.

Well, that doesn't fit. It's only made to work with the stock subframe and their LS engine mount kit. I do see that they make one to fit an LT engine with the DSE subframe, but I didn't want to try it and just wind up wasting my money. The Holley one is fixed in position, no wiggle room, just a little in the transmission mount area with some slotted holes.

So instead, we elected to go the route DSE does and a few other shops do and make a small cross member that just spans the tunnel mounted to the floor pan with doubler plates on each side for added strength. Here are a few pics:

Here you can see the top plate formed to the floor pan. The bolts are just there to keep it in position and help suck it down to the floor pan.

Everything welded up, the bolts will be removed and the holes welded up.

Here's what the bottom looks like with the additional plate all welded up.

Now just need some mounting tabs and the actual cross member to be fabricated, an I'll have a nice compact setup that'll allow for plenty of exhaust clearance.

Nice progress!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I sure like the fabbed up bandaids for a bolt in crossmember, that's a great idea. Speedtech ndoes a similar deal with there rear suspension cradle. It has a couple plates that weld the rear crossmember and bolt through trunk floor.
      Nice progress and update
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Good idea. Do you have a target for where you will end up with your drive train angle relative to the subframe with the crossmember?

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Good idea. Do you have a target for where you will end up with your drive train angle relative to the subframe with the crossmember?

Yes, the goal is 2.5-3 degrees down. Should be very possible with the modified trans tunnel.

Nice ride. Great craftsmanship and continue the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Huff_diesel View Post
      Nice ride. Great craftsmanship and continue the good work.

Thank you!

Test fit the headers. These are the Hooker Blackheart ones from Holley.

The fit and finish looks great on these headers. These are they larger ones they offer with 2" primaries. There is just one slight minor interference on the driver side engine mount that is probably nothing. One of the primaries is resting on it just touching it. I'm thinking it's nothing because the mock up block has no head gaskets and I didn't install header gaskets for the mock up. Those things might be enough for the correct clearance. If not, a quick hit with the grinder and all is good.

I have a set of the DSE headers, but am wanting to run these Hooker ones so they'll mate right up to the exhaust that they make. If I use the DSE headers, I'd have to make a small piece to connect the headers to the midpipe, or just have a complete exhaust fabricated from the collector back. The DSE ones do have a nice V-band clamp at the collector.

That's tight on the driver side. Have you installed the steering shaft to see if it's going to clear? It'll be tons easier now than when the fenders are on.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      That's tight on the driver side. Have you installed the steering shaft to see if it's going to clear? It'll be tons easier now than when the fenders are on.
      Yes, that will definitely be done at this stage. I have a new Ididit tilt column to replace the stock one you see in the photo. When that's installed we'll install the swivels and cut the intermediate shaft to length in order to connect the column with the rack.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com