Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1967 Mustang Coupe - Gen 3 Turbo Hemi- project Oxcart

Hey guys,

So I have been lingering around the group for several years and learning alot. At the same time, I have been working on my 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe. It started as a cheap rat rod build with a ford 302 and t5 but then quickly spiraled into what we have at the moment. The goal of the car is to bring together modern hot rodding with a semi budget and also just to build a car that can do everything. Plan is to take the car to the Texas mile and run 200 MPH. Below is some of the items on the car.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
      1-3000 in color code Diamond Green

Engine:
      Gen 3 5.7 Hemi from a charger
      Forged 6.1 Crank
      Mahle H beam Rods with ARP Studs
      ARP hardware all around
      Hellcat Cam
      TR6060 from a Challenger
      Percision Ls Turbo
      Dual DW fuel pumps
      Mega Squart Pro stand alone
      92mm LS throttle body

Suspension:
      Rack and pinion from a Nissan 240sx
      Electric Power Steering mod
      Open Tracker roller front suspension
      C4 Corvette Dana 44 IRS
      6 piston wilwood ultra light brakes on 13" Cobra Rotors- Front
      Stock C4 Disc Brakes - Rear

Interior:
      Wireless Dash
      Bluetooth steering buttons for turn signals
      Camaro Center Console
      1966 Mustang Door Cards
      MX5 Miata Seats
      Rear view mirror from a Volvo

Exterior:
      1 piece fiberglass front end
      Clinched finder flares
      Fiberglass deck lid
      Custom underbody pan
      Custom rear Diffuser
      Custom front splitter
      Shaved drip rails
      Lexan rear and side quarter windows
      Manual pull windows
      Konig HyperGram 17x9 front and 18x9.5 rear

More to come guys! I hope this interest everyone, as I took inspiration from the builds here!

Name:  mustang redner.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  81.6 KB

Sounds like a party. What made you go with a Hemi versus sticking with a Ford engine?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Sounds like a party. What made you go with a Hemi versus sticking with a Ford engine?
      GoodysGottaCuda, Love your car! To answer your question though, when I think of hot rodding, the first thing that comes to mind is Hemi. I didnt want to worry about the strength of the engine with power and I also got the engine for 100 bucks. But more than anything I wanted something different. Ive always wanted a hemi and nothing beats a modern one.

Here is how the car currently sits. This was 2 weeks ago, when we dropped the car on its wheels for the first time, to find out its current ride height, before we cut the front coils.

Name:  ride height.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  165.2 KB

Here is the Gen 3 Hemi in its final resting place. We moved the engine back several inchs from where the small block ford was. It only required some notching of the shock towers.

Name:  hemi test fit.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  221.2 KB

Goodbye old 8" ford straight axle!

Name:  rear straight axle.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  104.1 KB

Hello C4 Corvette IRS! The IRS has since been painted with POR and is nice and clean. I need to find the new photos though. This was the original test fit and measurements, several months back.

Name:  lifting for rear.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  92.1 KB
      Name:  first test.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  126.4 KB
      Name:  underside first test.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  126.5 KB

First things first, the rear needed to be disassembled and cleaned, prior to receiving POR15.

Name:  IRS cleaning.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  118.1 KB

Then we mocked everything up to find out what needed to be cut and what brackets to build.

Name:  rear is in.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  90.6 KB

I called QA1 to get them to put together a shock package for this unique build.

Name:  qa1 shocks.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  86.5 KB

I found out the rear shocks needed stand offs, so a friend and I designed and had these stand offs cut. They angle the rear shocks, needed to clear both the frame rail and also keep the shock nearly vertical.

Name:  rear standoffs.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  112.7 KB

After POR and a set of custom brackets we made, here is the rear in the car.

Name:  rear in.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  145.5 KB
      Name:  rear in2.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  138.5 KB
      Name:  rear suspension.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  164.9 KB

For the front I went with open tracker everything. From the coils, to the roller perchs, to the upper and lowers. At the beginning of the build, I got a set of edlebrock red shocks, which currently are on the car. I know Ill need to upgrade these later on. It also has a 1" sway bar, also from open tracker. For suspension and mustang discussion, they have been a great company to work with!

Name:  Front coils.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  122.0 KB

Here is a set of 13" cobra brakes on the front.

Name:  front suspension.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  106.1 KB

In order to use wildwood 6 piston light weight brake calipers, custom brakets needed to be made and cut. A speed shop called "violetto Kustoms in Florida cut them for me. Great company to work with also!

Name:  Brake brackets.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  342.0 KB

The rack is from a 240sx, with ISR lines and megan racing tie rods.

Name:  240sx rack.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  171.4 KB

Now the engine! The block is a 2009 Gen 3 Hemi from a charger/ Chrysler 300. I got it up in Salem Ma for $100 bucks from an LS builder.

I found out of the short falls of the engine, that being the very weak pistons and rods.

No problem! Mahle pistons and rods, with a 6.1 forged crank and ARP everything should do the trick.

A local shop, Command Performance, well known for there crazy R35 GTR builds, did the engine build for me.

Name:  engine 2.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  108.3 KB
      Name:  bottom of engine.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  217.4 KB
      Name:  Hemi.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  41.9 KB
      Name:  hemi in.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  159.8 KB

Looks like a fun project for sure! With that much power and speed what are you going to do with the front suspension besides coil/shock? Have you checked out any parts from Global West? You'll need beefy strut rods, especially to handle high-speed corners and the stock stuff is really flimsy.

Love the hodge podge of parts going into this build! Would love to see the looks on purist's faces when this thing is done tho lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCompositeENGR View Post
      Looks like a fun project for sure! With that much power and speed what are you going to do with the front suspension besides coil/shock? Have you checked out any parts from Global West? You'll need beefy strut rods, especially to handle high-speed corners and the stock stuff is really flimsy.
      Thanks, this is for sure a fun project, although at times, it is difficult. I have looked at global west, they make great stuff! I put together some adjustable strut rods with aluminum center sections, based off daze cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Billf67 View Post
      Love the hodge podge of parts going into this build! Would love to see the looks on purist's faces when this thing is done tho lol.
      Billf67, Thanks! Half the fun is the hodge podge parts. I cant wait for someone to see the car is 1-3000 and then to freak out. I just hope people realize its not a LS.

Did you look at the TCI front suspension kit for early model Mustangs/Cougars ?. I found that TCI's kit cost just a little bit more than you'll spend replacing all of the stock suspension/steering and braking components . Plus you lose the shock towers for more room for that Hemi and with the new crossmember and boxing plates it stiffens up the front end a ton !.

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      Did you look at the TCI front suspension kit for early model Mustangs/Cougars ?. I found that TCI's kit cost just a little bit more than you'll spend replacing all of the stock suspension/steering and braking components . Plus you lose the shock towers for more room for that Hemi and with the new crossmember and boxing plates it stiffens up the front end a ton !.
      Langleylad,

Good point! I did check them out. I already have everything purchased already, that is what is on the car now. That doesnt mean im opposed to finding better solutions.

Btw your cougar build is amazing!

Does anyone have any concerns with the front suspension? I understand there are much much better systems, although the front is entirely new. I was looking for more information on a custom coilover that dazecars did a while back. I sent him an email, hopefully I get a response.

So I got a response from Daze, very nice guy to deal with for information.

I am also looking into putting together an adjustable lower suspension similar to https://www.pacificthunderperformanc...-arms-one-pair. Does anyone oppose to this?

Quote Originally Posted by fish2keel View Post
      Does anyone have any concerns with the front suspension? I understand there are much much better systems, although the front is entirely new. I was looking for more information on a custom coilover that dazecars did a while back. I sent him an email, hopefully I get a response.
      You might want to add a shock tower brace to triangulate things for added strength . Tower to tower and tower to firewall on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      You might want to add a shock tower brace to triangulate things for added strength . Tower to tower and tower to firewall on both sides.
      Langleylad, I actually have both a monte carlo bar and the shock tower brace, it just was uninstalled at times for engine placement and welding. Most of the car right now has been stitched welded as well.

Looking forward to updates!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Waiting on rear caliper brackets to mount the rear disc brakes. I am also looking for a laser cutter to cut a few metal parts for the rear shock mounts, the ones previously designed were not sufficient with where the car will be going.

In the mean time, Ive been working on sanding the engine compartment to get it ready for some body work. I have also been researching a coil over system for the front and putting together a list to make adjustable lower control arms.

Has anyone on here done that?

Updates soon to follow though!

Country Flag: Canada
      Looks good so far! Any pics of the viper hybrid IRS? Did you stay with the chevy bolt pattern?

T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast