Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

98+ F-Body or C6Z on 71/72 Chevelle

I'm gonna be building a 71/72 Chevelle soon, I'm up in the air with
      what brakes I wanna go with.. Stuck between 98+ F-Body brakes or
      C6 Z06/Grand Sport brakes. I know 13.5" +/- the C6Zs are bigger,
      nicer, prolly 5X better than the lil 12" F-Body set up n require 17"..

This is not gonna be a budge build, but also not a $100K build either.
      So yes the cost Does matter, but I'm Not gonna go with the cheapest
      route just to save a few dollars. I pretty much wanna build my 71/72
      Chevelle like if it was built today, so a RestoMod or Modern Muscle Car.

Way More Power, Good MPG, Slightly Lowered, Big A$$ Wheel/Tire Combo,
      Bigger Brakes, Better Handling, EFI, OD, maybe AC, not just a 1 trick pony.

Reason for being stuck between FBody 12s or C6Z 13.4/14s is because I'm
      more of a drag racer, so F-Body brakes will allow me to run 15" drag rims.

I'm sure the difference is Not comparable between these 2 Very different
      set ups, would I be let down with the performance of either brake setup?

My Chevelle will mainly be used as a fun weekend/nice day toy. So all out
      performance is not the main goal. I dont think that I'll be Auto-X this car...

Country Flag: United States
      If you need to run the 15" drag wheels, just go with the F body brakes and good pads.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      If you need to run the 15" drag wheels, just go with the F body brakes and good pads.
      I don't need to run 15s out back, just gives me the option on being able to run 325/50/15s to put down 1000+ hp.
      I know plenty of cars/trucks that put down more than 1000hp on 17s n even 18s. Just weighting options out a lil..

98+ F-Body or C6Z on 71/72 Chevelle

That’s a lot more power than a 4th gen F body had.

I say you need better brakes to make it a good all around car.

And you don’t need 15” wheels. Thing is even 17” tires are getting hard to find. Maybe you can still get the old ZR1 C4 sizes 315-35-17 and run 17” wheels. But modern best setup these days is 18” wheels and you can get 305/315/335 sizes.

Check out the chevelle with rocket racing wheels just posted in the tire and wheel section on 18x10s with 305 tires. You can also run 315 on 11s or 335 on 12s. All the modern tire options - looks great and clears most 13-14” brake packages.

My 71 Camaro only has half that much power and I’m running StopTech 14” brakes. You can never have too much brake capacity if you are going to drive this car on the roads today with so many cars that all brake very well. You want to outbrake other cars on the road especially with so much speed potential. Also OD trans is key to making these cars drivable out there in the real world where everybody is going 70-75 on the freeway at least out here in CA.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      That’s a lot more power than a 4th gen F body had.

I say you need better brakes to make it a good all around car.

And you don’t need 15” wheels. Thing is even 17” tires are getting hard to find. Maybe you can still get the old ZR1 C4
      sizes 315-35-17 and run 17” wheels. But modern best setup these days is 18” wheels and you can get 305/315/335 sizes.

Check out the chevelle with rocket racing wheels just posted in the tire and wheel section on 18x10s with 305 tires. You
      can also run 315 on 11s or 335 on 12s. All the modern tire options - looks great and clears most 13-14” brake packages.

My 71 Camaro only has half that much power and I’m running StopTech 14” brakes. You can never have too much brake
      capacity if you are going to drive this car on the roads today with so many cars that all brake very well. U want to outbrake
      other cars on the road especially with so much speed potential. Also OD trans is key to making these cars drivable out there
      in the real world where everybody is going 70-75 on the freeway at least out here in CA.
      (Sorry, about above OCD)

Very good point on Power to Brake Ratio (Is that a real term? Well I just made it a real term)

C4Racer2 I think you just made up my mind on the break n wheel debate for me..

15s would be for at the track, for drag strip. Street tires would prolly be 17s, but prolly 19s. I'd
      really love to run the C6Z 19x12s with the steamroller 325/30/19s on the back like my Syclone.

If (IDK after your HP/Brake Point) I did run F-Body brakes I was gonna get new/rebuilt calibers
      and everything from Power Stop with Cross Drilled n Slotted Rotors, along with good pads also.

I like to build my race/fast street cars/trucks be able to do everything very well. Power, MPG,
      Handling, Looks, Ride Comfort, Tame/Drivable (when outta the gas), but also be able to make
      insane amounts of power on true gas station pump gas n still run faster then 10.50s with ease.

This will have big brakes, maybe mini tub (IDK Yet), LS, Twins, 4L80E, highway friendly gears.
      Like if they built a Good Looking 2019/2020 modern Chevelle with 1000+ hp (E85 like 1200+).

Sounds like a cool project!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      Sounds like a cool project!
      That's what Summit Racing n My Credit Cards think too...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com