Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

C6Z Tires/Wheels on 71/72 Chevelle

I'm new here, as of today, I'm aggressively looking for a 71/72 Chevelle for my
      next Build, & I figured that this would prolly be the best forum to join since the
      Chevelle I purchase will be more of a ProTouring style build. This will be a true
      first for me.. A few years ago I put C6Z wheels on my GMC Syclone and I got
      pretty lucky that they fit dam near perfect, but that was a truck so the wheel
      wells were big n had just enough of room for the 19x12s n 325/30/19s on em.

I like them wheels a lot, and this time I wanna stuff them up under a Chevelle.

I also would like to run C6 Z06/Grand Sport brakes, I may go with 98+ F-Body
      brakes I'm still up in the air on the brakes. I am more of a drag racer, so having
      F-Body brakes will allow me to run 15" Drag Wheels out back instead of the 17s.

Back to the wheels and tires, I WILL NOT be running any wheel spacers/adapters
      I will wind up getting a rear (Prolly a 12 bolt) widened to the proper size needed.
      People say no, people say maybe, some people say yes, Will a 325/30/19 & 19x12
      fit in the wheel well of a 71/72 Chevelle without doing a Mini Tub? I'll use it as a
      very fun, fast, great looking street car/toy, a few rips on a drag strip, n car shows.

Country Flag: Canada
      No they wont fit , those tires will rub . As soon as you lower , load , cycle the suspension the tires contact the wheel wells abcperformance.net sells a excellent kit which allows for up to a 345 and still have the car lowered or a couple buddies in the backseat lol . As for in the front ,with proper measurements and a minor tweak to the inner fenders and a splined style sway bar you can run a 315 . I will say that if you're planning on running vette rims your going to have other problems first thou . Mainly tire contacting the sway bar. If it's a stock style sway bar you might be able to toss on 275s up front
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      No they wont fit , those tires will rub . As soon as you lower , load , cycle the suspension the tires contact the wheel wells abcperformance.net sells a excellent kit which allows for up to a 345 and still have the car lowered or a couple buddies in the backseat lol . As for in the front ,with proper measurements and a minor tweak to the inner fenders and a splined style sway bar you can run a 315 . I will say that if you're planning on running vette rims your going to have other problems first thou . Mainly tire contacting the sway bar. If it's a stock style sway bar you might be able to toss on 275s up front
      Well that sux..

Thanx for the link..

What is the widest tire a stock 70/72 A-Body takes out back?
      315/30/17s or a 295/30/19s.. How about for drag racing tires
      325/50/15 DRs aka a 28x13 tire on 15x10 lowered a little bit..

Country Flag: United States
      Stock A body can easily take a 295/30/19 out back, i have that on the rear of my Cutlass. You cannot run C6 Z06 wheels on the front of an A body without spacers, the backspacing is all wrong. If you widened the rear axle that would take care of the rear, but you would be locked into that fitment of wheel.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Stock A body can easily take a 295/30/19 out back, i have that on the rear of my Cutlass. You cannot run C6 Z06 wheels on the front of an A body without spacers, the backspacing is all wrong. If you widened the rear axle that would take care of the rear, but you would be locked into that fitment of wheel.
      There are no A-Arm/Spindle kits that would make the wheels work?

A afx spindle uses c5,6,7 hubs so yes they bolt on. Backspace is still way wrong and youd need to run new tubular control arms with those spindles

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by BertPod View Post
      There are no A-Arm/Spindle kits that would make the wheels work?
      No... The kits are designed around the stock frame and steering configuration not a potential wheel. The would have to think of every wheel/backspacing combo in the design process, not very practical. If you're stuck on those wheels, just use wheel adapter spacers from https://www.motorsport-tech.com/. They bolt on.

Chris--

A afx spindle uses c5,6,7 hubs so yes they bolt on. Backspace is still way wrong and youd need to run new tubular control arms with those spindles
      C6 wheels will bolt on to any 5x4.75" hub. Getting them to fit is another matter altogether. Corvettes have very wide track and the wheels have huge backspacing - this is not compatible with any of the stuff for early cars. So unless you are going to graft a C6 cradle - and probably not even then will it work.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I'm ok with aftermarket/tubular control arms

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      No... The kits are designed around the stock frame and steering configuration not a potential wheel. The would have to think of every wheel/backspacing combo in the design process, not very practical. If you're stuck on those wheels, just use wheel adapter spacers from https://www.motorsport-tech.com/. They bolt on.
      I'm not a fan of Bolt-on adapter/spacers, Now normal spacers where I only have my set of Studs I'm ok with..

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      C6 wheels will bolt on to any 5x4.75" hub. Getting them to fit is another matter altogether. Corvettes have very wide track and the wheels have huge backspacing - this is not compatible with any of the stuff for early cars. So unless you are going to graft a C6 cradle - and probably not even then will it work.
      Maybe I'll have to go with aftermarket C6Z Wheels 18x8.5s n 19x10s or 19x11s

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      That's what I said .. they will fit the spindle.. the spindle will fit the car ... they together wont fit ,due to back spacing being way out to lunch

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by BertPod View Post
      I'm ok with aftermarket/tubular control arms

I'm not a fan of Bolt-on adapter/spacers, Now normal spacers where I only have my set of Studs I'm ok with..

Maybe I'll have to go with aftermarket C6Z Wheels 18x8.5s n 19x10s or 19x11s
      I don't think you are listening here... It doesn't matter if the are factory or aftermarket, a wheel that is built for a C6 Z06 Corvette will not have the proper backspacing for a Chevelle PERIOD.
      You talked about widening a stock Chevelle rear axle, which after paying for the labor and custom length axle shafts makes no sense IMO. You would be better off running spacers which would need be at least 2" BTW for the wheels to clear.

People here are trying to offer you help and the advice you asked for, but you seem to have it all figured out. Good luck...

Chris--

Sometimes they do make aftermarket versions of OEM wheels with backspacing for classic cars - that may have been what he meant.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Ok here is the scoop. I have a 1970 GTO and initially thought i would run C6Z wheels and realized they just doesn't work. I ended up buying some Forgestar wheels with the correct offsets to properly fit the car for less than 2K shipped to me. I wanted the maximum wheel width and tire size and ended up with 19x11 and 19x12 with 305/345 tire combination. My car is mini tubbed (lots of work not sure I would do it again) for the rear tire to fit but you can run 305's or 315 in 18" front and rear with the correct offset. If I were you I would run 18x11 wheels 6" BS with 315/30/18 or 305/30/18 front and rear-keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by 968ls1 View Post
      Ok here is the scoop. I have a 1970 GTO and initially thought i would run C6Z wheels and realized they just doesn't work. I ended up buying some Forgestar wheels with the correct offsets to properly fit the car for less than 2K shipped to me. I wanted the maximum wheel width and tire size and ended up with 19x11 and 19x12 with 305/345 tire combination. My car is mini tubbed (lots of work not sure I would do it again) for the rear tire to fit but you can run 305's or 315 in 18" front and rear with the correct offset. If I were you I would run 18x11 wheels 6" BS with 315/30/18 or 305/30/18 front and rear-keep it simple.
      So 315s fit the rear, STOCK? I'm guessing with rolling outter, n smashing the inners?

I'm fine with 275s up front, and in all honestly I'm not gonna be able to tell the different of a
      315 to a 325. What is the first thing the rear tires hit, on the inside? Frame or Inner Fender?

Would doing the Mini-Tub Tubs, WITHOUT frame work gain any useable space to be worth it?

Is the car lowered ? Let's start there

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Also, whats the issue with spacers? Please don't get into strength issues as Jeep Wranglers routinely run 2 -4" spacers on 42" wheels, over boulders with no issues.
      If you just don't like the way they look,

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Also, whats the issue with spacers? Please don't get into strength issues as Jeep Wranglers routinely run 2 -4" spacers on 42" wheels, over boulders with no issues.
      If you just don't like the way they look,
      I run 2" ones on 40's with nitrous!

Yes roll fender on the rear, no smashing the frame rail will be the limiting point.
      Wheel offsets must be measured and correct for it to clear.
      325 will not fit end of story there.
      Mini tub on an A-body requires frame and inner fender modifications.
      Maybe a 305/275 combo would be best for you

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com