Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
      Vacuum pump...
      Going to go that route

'68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      PCV is too restrictive allowing pressure to build imho.

Don
      Don,

You nailed it bro! Took off the PCV and added another breather and leaks have subsided. Still blowing the dipstick up out f the tube about 1/2" under normal driving conditions. Still thing going with vacuum ump would be the rest route for motor longevity- been back and forth with Jones Racing to help me with s system - Chris is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by LemonTwisted View Post
      Here's some good reading on CCV systems: https://www.shophemi.com/images/medi..._ccv_bible.pdf
      Take a look at the Stage 3 solution.
      I have read that article and there are some errors in it. Namely, "PCV" and "CCV" are two different methods of evacuating the crankcase. My Duramax, for example, uses a CCV system which does not provide incoming replacement air. On the other hand I have a PCV system on Dust Off consisting of the M.E. Wagoner adjustable PCV valve in the passenger valve cover plumbed into the base of the EFI throttle body and a vent breather on the driver side valve cover with an oil separator inside the filter. I had all sorts of oil leaks using stock style and even those pretty billet PCV valves until in installed the M.E.Wagner adjustable PCV valve and all the small annoying oil leaks went away. The M.E.Wagoner adjustable PCV is not cheap but it works and for less money than a vacuum pump.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444

Also, a number of members here, I'm thinking specifically of Lance in particular, have used Mighty Mouse Solutions to vent their crankcase with good success.

https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/

Bottom line is that the PCV system is one emission control that actually helps engine performance and is very simple in operation. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of mis-information floating around the internet about how a PCV system actually works.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

That Wagner part is a sweet piece! Thanks for sharing.

On the MM catch cans, they look like quality parts, but I don't understand why they have breathers.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Maybe that's a blow-off vent? The Mann Hummel parts have an overpressure/blowoff just in case for safety. IMHO, the Mann Hummel ProVent is in a different orbit than just about anything else.

Steve, what size lines did you run with the Wagner part? Have you noticed any change in oil consumption, tailpipe smoke, etc? Did you use the in-cover or use the in-line adapter? I've been toying with the idea of ditching the GM LS PVC setup but having a hard time justifying why.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Well to be honest over 500 stock cubes or less on perf e Hines a single stock pcv is very limited. The Mewegner pcv, on on corner front or back then catch can on opposite side with fresh air breather. Remember it's about air flow and pressure reduction. Most PCV are speced to stock engine vacuum, and at best 3/8 vac line. Build engine and all bets are off.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Finally have an update to share. Thanks to Chris over at Jones Racing for hooking me up with a vacuum pump system. We emailed back and forth for quite some time working out dimensions and trial and error collaborations until we finally have success. The big issue was trying to cram another component into an already crammed tight space and driving the pump from behind my crank pulley as I had no room to go forward. I ended up making a custom bracket out of 1/2" thick aluminum and bolting the new vacuum pump to the drivers side underneath and behind the power steering pump. I was able to save my Vintage Air Front Runner serpentine belt system thanks to the use of a mandrel hub bolted to my balancer. That allowed me full adjustment of the drive pulley to center it up with my current system and allow me to drive the vacuum pump from behind the crank pulley. Was only able to take it out for a few test runs before winter hit and the car went into hibernation, but so far so good. New system is working great! No more leaks and no more dipstick tube blowing up! Thanks for everyone who posted.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com