Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Torque arm vs 4 link ???????

I'm sure this has been beat to death but indulge me. After looking at the displays at the Good Guys Columbus show, What true benefit does one have over the other?
      I was dead set hard core going with the TCI torque arm but then realized that future option of adding a Gear Vendors OD might be an issue with the torque arm clearance. So rethinking about doing the 4 link. I definitely want to get away from the leaf springs and go with some type of coil over system. Just a street cruiser that likes to take curves fast. Looking for opinions, Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I chose my watts link specifically because I wanted to be able to change my rear roll center to better suit the type of track I was at(Road course, AutoX, street). The frame mounted watts vs an axle mounted watts means the roll center doesn't migrate with suspension movement which should lead to a more predictable car.

I cut out my triangulated upper 4 link arms, in favor of an adjustable 3 link to eliminate the dual roll center(watts and triangulated uppers) issue. I wanted the adjustability in the 3 link because I didn't know what Antisquat i would need with different tracks.

A torque arm generally isn't adjustable for antisquat, you get what the manufacturer gives you, but I'm betting the companies on here put a lot of engineering into the proper value for your type of car. A Panhard could be adjustable real easy though, so you would have some tuning int he roll center.

for reference, my car is a 69 442. hope this opinion helps.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com